Garden by the Sea B&B
Gallows Point Resort(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
$445
$395
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
$244
  • Breakfast included
Estate Lindholm(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
$325
$284
$203
TripAdvisor
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort(South Coast)(Great Value!)
$170
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewswild gingergarden suitecommon roomblueberry pancakesbird sanctuaryfrench toasteach morningthree roomshonor baroutdoor showeropen airfruit smoothieswind chimesfrank baypina coladaother guestssalt pond
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been to St. John over a dozen times, and until I found this place, I rarely stayed at the same place twice. I liked moving around and experiencing different locales. During my last three visits, my wife and I have come back to Garden by the Sea and will continue to do so because of the atmosphere, the price, and the location.

The people running it, whether the owners or someone else, have do everything they can to make the stay a pleasant one. The included breakfast is always enjoyable: healthy and delicious! We have always stayed in the Garden Suite, the largest of the rooms. It is not extremely large, but does have everything we need. Truth be told, we are hardly ever there with all the things to do on the island. When we are there, however, it is great to have a small living space in addition to a bedroom and a beautiful bathroom that is partially outdoors (though private). The common space is warm and welcoming. The owner, Nancy, has much of her glass wind chimes and other creations around, making for a very beautiful scene.

The price per night, along with the included breakfast, allow my wife and I to enjoy 9- to 10-day visits each trip. The longer the better!

The B&B doesn't have an ocean view, but it does have a great view just the same. Each morning, we take breakfast on the deck surrounded by palm trees, a view of the pond, and hummingbirds and finches dancing around the well positioned bird feeders. It is a short walk to town and offers all we can ask for in convenience. Being slightly farther from town than a few other places actually offers some seclusion that is appreciated by us.

I am not one to heap unwarranted accolades, but this place is really the best. My only hesitation in stating so publicly is that it might make it harder to book a room in the future!

Room Tip: Get the Garden Suite for more space and privacy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank marklosasso
Reviewed January 6, 2014

What can I say about Garden by the Sea except fantastic! John and Nancy made us feel right at home. The room was tastefully decorated with items from local artists and windchimes Nancy makes herself. We stayed in the Wild Ginger room. It was clean and comfortable. Loved the open air shower! Nancy's breakfasts were unforgettable. Nancy was kind enough to share her receipe for her granola breakfast dish. John made yummy smoothies.
John and Nancy were both so helpful planning our daily activities. We would tell them what we wanted to do and they were there to help with anything we needed. From beach gear to reservations we were always taken care of.
It was a short walk into town. Beaches and trails close by. No need to rent a car if you didn't want to. However, renting a car and taking a day trip to Rams Head was unbelievable. Such a fantastic view!
It was nice having breakfast with the other guests. Meeting others and sharing experiences on St Johns. Then off to explore the island. Nancy made reservations for us on the Bad Kitty and for a rental car. John was always there with helpful information about things to see and places to go.
Our stay at Garden by the Sea was nothing short of fantastic. John and Nancy are two of the nicest, helpful people you could ever meet. Made our honeymoon a very memorable trip. I would recomend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a week over Christmas at Garden by The Sea. I really can't say enough about how much we enjoyed it! Nancy and John have perfected hospitality! They are helpful planning what beaches/ activities/restaurants to go to without being intrusive. Breakfast is prepared every morning which includes smoothies, fresh fruit and switches between something savory and sweet each day. My favorite was the blueberry pancakes, the blueberries from Maine that Nancy and John had brought back. We stayed in the Garden suite, which has a living room area, and it was nice to have the extra space. I really miss that tropical shower!! You have to experience it!! They have beach towels, chairs, coolers, anything you need for the beach.

We were able to walk into town each day down a forest path that made us feel like we were in a different world. I saw a review someone wrote about frogs falling on their head? We walked this path day and night and never once saw a frog but did see an iguana, gecko's, chickens and such and they run when the see you. It's all part of the experience!

St. John can be expensive and I found having a full breakfast every day and use of the refrigerator and microwave in kitchen a nice convenience. We could put wine and cheese in your own personal shelf in refrigerator and Nancy also offers all the fruit and filtered water you may want.

Lastly, we were there on Christmas Day and Nancy and John invited the three couples staying at the inn into their home for Christmas dinner. This night was a highlight of our vacation and we met some of their lovely friends and had a blast! Basically, do yourself a favor and try Garden by the Sea if you want to stay in a place where you feel like a special house guest and not a cookie cutter hotel guest.

3  Thank Karaanderic
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is our second visit to Garden by the Sea. John & Nancy are lovely and helpful hosts. Nancy makes a delicious breakfast (don't miss the smoothies) and John spots the birds and iguanas for us. We don't rent a car but walking into town, although hilly, is no problem. Working out the logistics is part of what the hosts are great with regarding which beach to visit and which restaurant to have dinner etc. We've stayed in the Wild Ginger Room both trips and especially love the open air shower--very tropical! We definitely hope to return.

Room Tip: There are only 3--each unique. Availability and price point may guide you.
2  Thank Linda K
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for five nights in the Terrace View room. The room was lovely and spacious and the private balcony had a gorgeous view. John and Nancy are very hands on owners and are obviously very knowledgeable about the island, however, they were also very interested in our opinions on the places we went to. Breakfast each morning was hearty enough that we typically did not need to eat lunch, with plenty of hot coffee, juice and smoothies. The walk into town was along a jungle like path next to the salt pond and up a hill, but was only about a 10 minute trek so we didn't have to rent a car. While the closest beach to the property is not very pretty, there are some beautiful white sand beaches within a short hike of town. We definitely appreciated the availability of frozen bottles of water and the ride to the ferry with our suitcases at the end of our stay! All in all we had a wonderful time at Garden by the Sea and highly recommend it to those who enjoy a unique place to stay over cookie cutter hotels.

2  Thank Cindy D