“Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Arlington, Virginia
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon. If you want an all inclusive resort- go somewhere else! Gallows was unbelievably relaxing. We cooked dinner most nights on the grill, and enjoyed the sunset from our condo. We are breakfast on our balcony each morning in peace and quiet. If you want to go out to dinner, ZoZO's is a MUST. Gallows is easy access to everything on the island. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The little store next door was wonderful for last minute things and to book trips. I will definitely return to Gallow's on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Minneapolis
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I agonized over which room to select and whether or not go with an upper level room or lower level room. We also weren’t sure if we should select a renovated room or an un-renovated room. We ended up going with 4C. This was an upper level room that faced the ocean and it had not been renovated (classic style). IT WAS AMAZING!

I am a bit of hotel snob and I was worried that I would be disappointed that we did not choose a renovated room. I had nothing to worry about this. Place was fabulous and had classic décor. The only thing that really felt outdated to me was the kitchen, but it was nothing to complain about. The décor was a bit older in the kitchen, but everything was clean and functioning well. We spent little time in the unit, so we probably didn’t need such a fancy place, but I was so glad that we had it.

The air-conditioning was rock solid and the place really cooled down fast since we were there during a very hot time, late April. We also utilized the little store on property quite a bit. We rented snorkel gear and an umbrella from the shop for our trips to the beach. We also purchased food and liquor from the shop during our stay.

We ate dinner at ZoZo’s one night and the food was delicious. The truth is that the view of sunset from unit 4C is better than the view from ZoZo’s (in my humble opinion). In fact, building 4 sits right in front of ZoZo’s restaurant so it wasn’t too far for us to walk.
The included transportation to and from the ferry dock was great! Gallow’s Point is walking distance from everything downtown. We loved it.

General Thoughts on St. John, it was our first time:
Very laid back and not overcrowded. Not sure about the weather that time of year. Infrastructure is good because it was settled by Dutch and then Americans. In Cruz Bay you can generally walk to all the restaurants in that area. You can probably stay cheaper outside of Cruz Bay but then you lose some convenience. Food was incredible. Other than Italy, probably some of the best food I’ve ever eaten. The beaches are incredible as well and far from overpopulated. Most of them are tucked into a bay and surrounded by natural reserve type land. We would just pack up our jeep with cooler, beach stuff(umbrella is critical), and a snack and head to 1-2 of them each day. Snorkeling decent at all of them and Trunk Bay actually has a snorkeling tour around a little island.

Here are the places we ate at:
Rhum Lines – http://www.rhumblinesstjohn.com/
Fatty Crab – http://www.fattycrab.com/menus/st-john/
Zo-Zo’s (nice sunset view and located at Gallow’s Point) – http://www.zozos.net/
Waterfront Bistro – http://www.thewaterfrontbistro.com/Home%20.html
Sun-Dog Café – http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147410-d1046643-Reviews-Sun_Dog_Cafe-Cruz_Bay_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html
Aqua Bistro – http://www.aquabistrostjohn.com/

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank MplsAmandda
East Bay, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Gallows Point Resort was wonderful and comfortable. They have a pool, hot tub and stairs to the water not far from the room. Good snorkeling. Great restaurant on site but need reservations. The units have a full kitchen. Three stairs took you down to the living room where you could open the large windows and doors, feeling like you are part of the outside. Must close the windows and doors around six every evening because of bugs. A short walk takes you down town where you find shops, grocery stores, restaurants etc. Make sure you check out the National Park Service visitors center. They have a schedule of events you may wish to join in on. We did the star gazing and enjoyed it a lot. Gallows also has a store where you can get essentials, gifts and arrange activities. Make sure you go to Hercules Pate Delight for local foods.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank theheatonfamily
Covington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We spent a week on St. John, USVI, during May. We stayed at Gallows Point the entire week. It was our second time to stay at Gallows Point. We have nothing but good things to say about the people who work at Gallows, our condo, and the beautiful grounds. We were met at the Cruz Bay ferry dock by a very friendly driver, who proceeded to take us the short distance to Gallows Point to check-in. After we signed in, he escorted us to our condo, 12 A, which is a very comfortable "Gold" (renovated) Lower Level, Harbor View condo. He also took time to explain the various features of the rooms. During our stay, the housekeeping staff who cleaned our rooms did a first-rate job each day. Any time we talked with the people at the front desk they were more than helpful. We also want to compliment the couple who run the on-site store. We had filled out an order form online to have "provisions" stocked in our kitchen prior to arrival; we had also rented a car using their service with Cool Breeze Car Rental; and we also rented snorkeling equipment from them when we arrived. All of this was done for us in a friendly and helpful manner. Our week on St. John was very restful and enjoyable, and we will definitely stay at Gallows Point whenever we visit again. We especially like the short walk from Gallows Point into Cruz Bay for dining and shopping. One final recommendation, if you drive to Coral Bay be sure to have a meal at Shipwreck Landing. The view and the food are great!

1 Thank NorthernKY
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed in an ocean upper room and it was amazing. Food can be very expensive on the island so it was nice to be able to cook in the full sized kitchen, especially for breakfast. The unit was huge, more than we probably even needed. There is a small tv, but we didn't turn it on once on our entire trip. AC was nice to bring the temp down a little at night, but if you stay here, please turn off your AC when you leave for the day. It's a small natural island and energy conservation is very important to keeping it that way.

Snorkeling right off the back dock was some of the most amazing snorkeling I've done in my entire life. As we were wrapping up, we saw a large nurse shark swim by. Also saw a few eels and some other colorful fish.

Great staff, very friendly.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the ocean upper (2d) that we stayed in.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed in 9D what a dump
stay somewhere else and if you goto ZOZO'S stop in and tell the front desk that they are terrible

Room Tip: 9D has pubic hairs in the shower GROSS
8 Thank Steve P
Signal Mtn, TN
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I booked a unit at Gallows Point for one night before we transferred to our villa in Coral Bay for the rest of the week. I was traveling with my husband and 2 boys. We had visited and rented villas on our two previous visits to St. John, so this was my first experience with any of the island's resorts, and I have to say that while the property was nice, the overall experience was not great.

We were lucky to snag a parking space in the tiny parking lot, otherwise we would have had to find street parking. When we checked in at the front desk, the girl behind the counter gave us the key and motioned that our unit was "over there." We were left to our own devices at that point since she was apparently done with us. Service on St. John is often borderline rude, but when you're checking into a pricey resort, I'd think you could expect slightly better treatment. We rolled our suitcases in the aforementioned direction, and finally located our first-floor room with some help from a wandering employee.

The units are scattered throughout the property on both the bay and ocean sides. Our unit was on the first floor on the bay side. It had been renovated at some point within the last 5 years, but maintenance seemed to be an issue. When I tried to pull out the garbage drawer in the kitchen, it fell off its track and I couldn't get it closed again. The comforter on the bed was an old fashioned motel- style polyester deal, and the bedroom and sitting area furniture seemed old and rather cheap. And I honestly could not figure out what the little garden-y-ish room off the back of the bedroom was supposed to be. The pull-out bed had hairs on the sheets and a stud earring tucked inside, so I assume no one thought to change the sheets after the last visitors. There was a change of sheets in the closet so I changed the sheets myself. And there seemed to be an inordinate number of ants in the unit which managed to infest my son's suitcase by morning. We could not get the in-room safe to work at all. It was rusted out and the lock they gave us wouldn't sit properly in place. The upstairs units may be in better shape, but I wasn't up for spending the extra money for one night. That may have been my mistake. Lastly, the pool was smaller than many of the villa pools on the island. I imagine that during the busy season, it's probably impossible to get a table or chaise near the pool.

On the plus side, the bathroom was very nicely renovated with travertine tiles and a stylish bowl sink, and the kitchen cabinets (other than the garbage drawer) and appliances all seemed to be new and looked very nice. And the location is great - everything in Cruz Bay is within walking distance of the hotel, and there's a very scenic cemetery right next to the resort. The rocky beach is nice to sit by, and my son and I snorkeled right off the dock where were surprised when a fellow snorkeler spotted a very large nurse or sand shark! The 2 hammocks at the far end of the beach were great for a snooze, but if you want a pina colada, you better bring it with you. There's no wait service outside.

When we settled the bill, we found that the taxes, etc. brought the bill up about $150 beyond the rates posted on their website. We spent *way* more than I wanted for one night on the Cruz Bay side of the island. If you have never been to St. John before, take my advice and rent a villa instead of spending enormous amounts of money on resort lodging. For the most part, villas offer a much better value and can be pretty amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs ocean-side unit.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
#4 of 4 in Cruz Bay
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to Gallows Point Resort? Share your experiences!