“Very Cool! Excellent Staff...Close to the city.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Tamarind Court

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cruz Bay
Inn at Tamarind Court
You added Inn at Tamarind Court to your Saves list
Ranked #3 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Very Cool! Excellent Staff...Close to the city.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My first time to the Virgins and it was a great trip complimented by the Tamarind and the staff. Stephanie and her Crew are great and are very accommodating. I traveled by myself and stayed in the one bedroom. The room is small lets say 12 by 12 (feet). i had a single bed, a small 13 inch tv, a lamp, a ceiling fan, a small dresser and the air conditioner. By the time you add all that in there is just enough space for you to relax. The rooms need a bit of updating but hey...that isnt a worry if you are not expecting much. The bed is clean and the sheets are clean and apart from the odd mosquito (that you let in) there is no bugs!!! what is nice is that everything works and the air con does work well.

The bathroom is basic but it is cleaned every day and the shower does have hot water. it is a max of 6 feet from any of the rooms. There are two of them for 6 rooms!

To get here you do not have to take a taxi, after you get off the ferry just walk up the road and pass the round about and keep to your right. it is just a 4 min walk at most. Just ask anyone to help you...

The location is fantastic, everything is in walking distance 5 mins at most...

There are themed nights for dinner. For what you pay you get a really good deal because the food is just that good. In off season they just do dinner about 3 times a week. Just do IT and you wont regret it. The bar is also open. Average price with anything you want.

Breakfast is served daily.

Wifi is there for free but just in the court yard. i was not able to get wifi in my room, but that did not bother me.

i stayed here for 9 nights and everything was great.

I will be back and if you are one of those travelers they travel on a budget and have stayed in hostels, then the one bedrooms at this inn is great.

There are also other room options if you are traveling with a partner.

if you need help on anything with the island please send me a message and i will help you as best i can...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank PHILZ88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I trip to St. John often and lived here for a few years in the 80's. I have a good grasp of this island and its culture and a respectful appreciation of the true locals.
Tamarind Court is as close as you can get to what true island life is like. The staff is genuinely friendly, my room was clean and had a wonderful aroma every evening when I returned from my daily activities, the food was SPECTACULAR, & the staff "again" was genuinely warm and friendly.
If you are looking for a clean simple place to stay that is only walking distance to town, look no further.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank dncltr1960
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I just recently spent a wonderful week in beautifull St. john. In no short part The Tamarind inn played a huge role in our experience. We spent eight nights in their apartment rental. We had a nice, comfy bed, living room, kitchenette stocked with everything you need, and private bath. Our room was cleaned every day by their wonderful housekeeping staff. The breakfast is amazing here and the best on the island. Anthony, their chef, is one of a kind! We'll miss seeing the rescue dogs pulling their volunteer walkers across the street to get the scraps he would save for them. Dinner in the evenings is the real deal at a great price, with the menu rotating each night. The bar is great! With all the wonderful locals holding court, and Amy behind the bar (thanks for playing rock and roll for these hoosiers)! Stephanie was a great host who pointed us in all the right directions the whole week and never got tired of our incessant questions. If you are looking for the Westin, this is not your place. If you want a great down home experience, to get a true taste of St. John, this is the spot! I could go on and on but all I can do is thank Steph, Amy, Anthony and all the rest of the staff I didn't name! Can't wait to be back!
cheers

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Josh S
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Thank you Stephanie for being such a gracious host. You were always there with a quick, helpful answer or solution. The breakfast and dinners were fantastic, along with the service. I love that I spent much less than then my other friends on the island, while being offered, free breakfast, "front of the house" parking, and being walking distance to groceries, restaurants, and the dive shop! Let's see, do we need beach chairs, coolers, etc - all supplied for the taking! There are many more reasons why multiple evenings our group (mostly staying at the Weston) gathered at your place to enjoy the low-key island ambiance. Why not 5 stars? Bed and bath are always clean, just not high-end....so maybe not a good fit for one who wants to lay about the room on vacation. Cheers to you and thanks again.

Room Tip: I've stayed here twice. Single rooms are bare bone, doubles are nicer and there is at least one...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

For the price for us locals off-season (118/night), this hotel was not worth the money. My boyfriend and I made a late trip over to STJ one Friday and decided to book a room. The manager bartending was nice enough to check us in late.
Since we just got back to the islands we were looking for cheap cars and ended up staying five more nights. The lady manager was kind enough to help us find one or two by WoM.
Unfortunately, the fact that checkout was at a strict 11am gave us anxiety every morning because we wanted the luxury of sleeping in, not the fear of someone knocking on our door at 1pm telling us that we had five minutes to get down to the office to renew our stay, on the first morning! The anxiety continued the duration of our stay. Oh, and if you miss the checkout hour they will threaten to charge you another night's stay.
We bought food and water from the Dolphin Market up the street so we didn't have to pay their obnoxious hotel meal fees.We also ate at Woody's a few times, the bar down the street which serves great food for the price. The drinks at the bar are overpriced at the tamarind.
Also, apparently the hotel had a bug problem while we were staying. And yes they did because tiny ants invaded our room and a pest service also knocked on our door.
The manager at our checkout was, who was sitting at the bar, which happened to be late, acted like it was a huge issue. "You know I could charge you again," she stated almost threateningly. Thank god she didn't. And we were so nice and appreciative because she helped us with our car search.

- no ocean views
- loud traffic on all sides
- no mention of complimentary anything
- yes the rooms are small and the windows have hurricane shutters

We had to catch the ferry that afternoon back to Red Hook. I felt relief after that. We are never staying at this hotel again, and you should think twice about staying here as well.

• Stayed July 2013

Travelers are raving about these Cruz Bay hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

In an attempt to prove to my girlfriend that a "basics only" hotel was adequate, we booked a few nights at the Tamarind before heading over to the Westin. You don't quite get what you pay for here. While the staff was seemingly friendly enough and the location is quite good, the bed was horribly uncomfortable, the shower was a drizzle, the food is "meh" at best, and we were woken up about 6am one morning to some drunk people yelling who, I am fairly certain, were associated with the Inn. Granted, it was carnival, but they seemed to be the only ones awake when the entire town was asleep. I would have expected that employees of the Inn would make their guests a priority instead of waking them up by pounding on doors and yelling for their friends. I travel bare bones at least once a year, and after trying this Inn I would say, "you are on St John... pay a little more for a nicer place and enjoy yourself".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aurora, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed three nights in off season in the single low cost rooms. Six rooms share two bathrooms in a dormitory style set up. Music from the restaurant can be heard starting at 7am till 9pm in the evening, so if you want to quiet you have to run the air or turn on the TV, neither were options as I came to the islands to escape these distractions. Food and drink are available but at a price, there were not even cups in the room to drink tap water and at $2.50 for bottled water, I stocked up on $1 water from the Dolphin Market up the street. So I will not be returning to this Inn again. There are other issues, but some what person preference. This may be a nice place for someone who likes to party or can afford a nice room. The location is central and easy to walk around town.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the restaurant area, ... the pricier ones.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Estate Lindholm
Estate Lindholm
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay
5.0 of 5 stars 365 reviews

Been to Inn at Tamarind Court? Share your experiences!