“Comfortable, basic hotel with lovely courtyard restaurant”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cruz Bay
Inn at Tamarind Court
Ranked #4 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Basic room, but comfortable and clean; good location close to restaurants and ferry; friendly people; excellent dinner food by a variety of guest chefs. This hotel was one of the cheapest that we could find on St.John.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I laugh at all the negative reviews here. If you don't understand St. John, you are better suited to stay at the Westin. If you want a true island experience, with a central location for everything - the Tamarind Inn is for you. We stay here each year before our sailing charter. The staff is what really makes the experience. This year, we had lots of travel difficulties due to weather. On arrival, the staff welcomed us by name. To this day, the only way I can understand that they did that was by recognizing my voice as there were multiple guest arrivals that day. During our entire stay, we were taken care of like family - again, the reason we stay is because of the staff. We have stayed here for a few years now, and this year I felt compelled to write a letter to the management to let them know what great staff they have employed. In a world where so many complain, I feel it's important to let management know when they have employees that really go above and beyond to make the experience. I want to see the Tamarind Inn do well, but at the same time, I hope that some of the poor reviews here direct the city folk and those that just don't get it towards the Westin. The Tamarind is for those that love and understand St. John.

On another note - the Tamarind Inn is basically right across the street from the St. John Animal Care Center. If you are an animal lover and not familiar with this organisation - check them out. The Tamarind Inn is a perfect location to have a nice breakfast and then go volunteer some time to help walk some of the great dogs there.

The Tamarind is all about the people, the staff, and the vibe. We couldn't think of staying somewhere else. The Tamarind is a big part of our annual vacation, and I hope that it will continue to be.

As I write this review, I have already booked my 2013 sailing charter, and can only hope that the staff is the same for our next trip. We can't wait to return "home" to the Inn at Tamarind Court.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tim W
Reviewed December 28, 2012

For $75, you will get a room half of which is occupied by a bed that is too short. You will also have a tv (if that's what you are going there for). Walls are made of paper, you will hear everything you don't want to. For $130, you get a spacious room with a double bed, but the toilet doesn't flush, the door doesn't open etc.

Continental breakfast means a biscuit with two slices of fruit. They say that coffee/decaf and jelly/butter is also included, but it you take a second butter (10 g)/second cup of coffee, you will get ugly looks. Impertinent me dared to take 3, you can imagine... Not spending your money in their restaurant (3-egg omelette for $10 etc.) will make them VERY rude. I paid almost $800 for 8 nights and never got a useful answer to any of my questions (Where is good snorkeling? "Everywhere." Where do I find turtles? "Everywhere." Can I take the bus to Cinnamon Bay? "No." (which is not true, but I guess they have some cab driver buddies) etc.) Last day, I wanted to have this so-called breakfast that is supposedly served from 7-11, at 7, and the bartender, who appeared at 7:10 to start opening up, was so upset as if I was hitting the table at 6:30. Btw. I was not hitting the table, just standing there and waiting patiently. I have asked her if I could leave my 2 pieces of luggage there for a few hours: she opened a cabinet and said ''You can leave your RETARDED luggage here''. Apart from asking for ice every morning to keep my medication cool, this was the only thing I asked for; I left in the morning quietly, returned in the evening quietly, and slept until morning quietly.
The only exception is Kurt (or Kirk?), the maintenance guy, who was nice.

Room Tip: If you want nature, maybe try Maho or Cinnamon Bay Camps. Maho is definitely cheaper. But if you are...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Piciorsi
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The 4 star reviews of this place must be from friends of the owners. Pretty dumpy for that price. Worth about 40.00/night maximum. Old broken fixtures, shower weak and leaked through the wall into the bedroom. Continental breakfast consisted of a bisquet and a piece of fruit. No dead bolt on our room door. Door frame had obviously been kicked in before. I'd look elsewhere folks.

Room Tip: Don't book one!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank triptout
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the Tamarind Ct. and just loved it. It wasn't your standard fulffy stuffy expensive hotel. It was down home and casual (just my style!). I never felt like a tourist but more like I was visiting friends. They had gear to borrow such as coolers, snorkels and play toys for the beach. The location was more than perfect! My toddler and I walked to the grocery store on our way to the beach and to grab a cab to other beaches, to eat and shop too. I enjoyed beverages at the bar while the baby napped and ate breakfast there each morning.

I am accustomed to staying at hostels and this place was more than perfect for me.

Room Tip: I was in a room where the wifi wasn't so good- I would ask for a room closer to the wifi area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Great food, Great Bar, Nice people. The Rooms & Grounds are pretty funky but the A/C worked and the shower was hot. Everything in St John is expensive and this is relatively affordable but still not cheap. It was fine for us and the bar was a cool local hangout that we enjoyed. You will get a real taste of St John staying here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I would recommend the Tamarind to anyone who wants to experience the local flavor of St. John! If you are looking to stay in town this would be the place. The rates are very reasonable and everything is within walking distance. The food is also fantastic! We ate breakfast there everyday and dinner twice! The staff at the Tamarind are extremely nice and helpful! Rooms are air conditioned. The bar is also great! We will return to the Tamarind!

Room Tip: Higher floors are not so close to the street noise or the roosters...but I liked waking up to the ro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple