“Great place to make home base”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cruz Bay
Inn at Tamarind Court
Ranked #5 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Ridgway, Colorado
“Great place to make home base”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the Tamarind Ct. and just loved it. It wasn't your standard fulffy stuffy expensive hotel. It was down home and casual (just my style!). I never felt like a tourist but more like I was visiting friends. They had gear to borrow such as coolers, snorkels and play toys for the beach. The location was more than perfect! My toddler and I walked to the grocery store on our way to the beach and to grab a cab to other beaches, to eat and shop too. I enjoyed beverages at the bar while the baby napped and ate breakfast there each morning.

I am accustomed to staying at hostels and this place was more than perfect for me.

Room Tip: I was in a room where the wifi wasn't so good- I would ask for a room closer to the wifi area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Park City, Utah
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Great food, Great Bar, Nice people. The Rooms & Grounds are pretty funky but the A/C worked and the shower was hot. Everything in St John is expensive and this is relatively affordable but still not cheap. It was fine for us and the bar was a cool local hangout that we enjoyed. You will get a real taste of St John staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I would recommend the Tamarind to anyone who wants to experience the local flavor of St. John! If you are looking to stay in town this would be the place. The rates are very reasonable and everything is within walking distance. The food is also fantastic! We ate breakfast there everyday and dinner twice! The staff at the Tamarind are extremely nice and helpful! Rooms are air conditioned. The bar is also great! We will return to the Tamarind!

Room Tip: Higher floors are not so close to the street noise or the roosters...but I liked waking up to the ro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Thomas, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I've stayed at the Inn a few times over the years and love the location. I live on St. Thomas, Virgin Islands and love to stay on St. John! I sometimes stay at Maho or Concordia Campgrounds. Both of these are nice, but far out. When it comes to staying right in the heart of Cruz Bay, the Inn is my choice. Other options nearby are outrageously overpriced, even for locals. My most recent visit was in October 2011, when I won a free overnight stay as part of Trippin' Thursdays on St. Thomas!! We had a great time!! I stayed at the inn before, but had forgotten how cute the rooms are with all the bamboo look and how CLEAN it is!!! We had a delicious breakfast the following morning while sitting in the outside courtyard watching a little TV and chatting with others. It is not fancy, but clean and safe with parking in their own backyard, under the Tamarind tree!!!!!!!

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
seattle
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The people who work there are unfriendly. As a guest I felt like I was putting them out by being there. I stayed in the shared bathroom room option. You really do get what you pay for. Yikes! It kinda felt like a prison cell with one little window. The T.V. didn't work. Don't stay here, it's not worth it if you're trying to cut corners on cost.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank infof4u

Travelers are raving about these Cruz Bay hotels

Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I have travelled to St. John for several years and just came to visit family for a few nights and wanted to be close to town. The room was dark and dreary. Very noisy, drunk partiers in the courtyard until 4 am. Had clothing stolen. My adult stayed there and was robbed of $ and cell phone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Louise0813
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Based on reviews, I decided to try this hotel. We stayed in a suite, 3 & 3A. Overall, the room was clean. The linens were thin, old and stained. The refrigerator was barely cold and the A/C extremely loud and needs to stay on at all times to keep room comfortable. (They ask that you turn it off when you leave room but after a day out, it was hard to get room cool to sleep) Mattresses not the most comfortable but I have slept on worse. The location of this room faces the street and the traffic is loud. There is also an outdoor sitting area off the living room area for all guests. While the other guests in this area were not extremely noisy, their conversations could be heard, making it hard for my kids to go to sleep. The worst part was the roaches. There were two small roaches in the refrigerator when I first opened it. The cups on top of the refrigerator were dirty. Roaches scrambled when anything was picked up off the tv stand and there were roaches in the shower and under the bed.

We stayed in this hotel two nights during the week. We checked in shortly before 4pm and the girl in the office was not too friendly (she was ready to leave). The grounds are horrible and the building dilapidated. You will not find any outside pictures on their website. The morning after our first night, I went to speak with the manager about checking out. No one was in but a staff member told me she would call Stephanie with my complaint of roaches. We left and did not return until about 10pm. No one attempted to reach us about our complaint. The following morning we left. We paid around $260/night for this room and this is no bargain for what we got.

There seem to be good reviews on the restaurant but we did not eat there. I read they had complimentary breakfast but that was not offered to us. There is a coffee shop next door that has good coffee and a good variety of breakfast items. Location is good to restaurants and shops.

If you are on a budget and don't plan on staying in the room, this hotel may be ok. I was very uncomfortable and will not use again. I give the cleanliness 3 stars because the room had been cleaned, was free of dirt on floor and everything tidy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family