New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Clean and reasonably priced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Tamarind Court

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cruz Bay
Inn at Tamarind Court
You added Inn at Tamarind Court to your Saves list
Ranked #3 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Boulder, Colorado
“Clean and reasonably priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean though Spartan. It is not a fancy hotel. It was the ONLY reasonably priced hotel ($89/night) I could find on St. John that could give me a reservation at the last minute. The Continental breakfast on the patio was good and you have the option to upgrade it by paying extra for a full breakfast. The dinner on their patio was delicious. I was there on a Friday and the theme was Caribbean. Each night of the week they have a different chef with different style of cuisines. The band stops playing at around 10pm and it got quiet soon thereafter for those desiring quiet to sleep. Each private room shares a bathroom with approximately 6 other renters. The floor molding was tearing off the wall and there were no light bulbs in the lamps in the tiny communal area where the TV was but there was a ceiling light. These things I can overlook. The only reason I might not choose to stay here again is that the bed was among the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Bugsylover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

A couple of weeks ago a friend called me to let me know of a great airfare to STT. We instantly booked it and then had to decide what we wanted to do about lodging. We had considered staying in Red Hook, which we like, but we wanted to stay in St Johns. We have visited St Johns several times and even camped at Cinnamon Bay in a cabin (also recomended). We know that lodging there can be pretty pricey and with short notice I thought we would really pay for a room. But I came across The Inn At Tamarind and reviewed TA reviews. I called and spoke to Stephanie and made arrangements for the dates we wanted. The price was really reasonable even for peak time in the VI's. We travel the Caribbean pretty frequently and on a budget. We look for location and value. We found both to be exactly what we were looking for. We love to party in Cruz Bay and the Inn is very close walking distance. Nearby there was a grocery store, car rental and even a laundromat next door. The building itsself is tired as many of the old caribbean hotels are, but it was very clean and had plenty of room. we did not have a fridge in our room (some do) but they gave us a cooler and we stocked it daily. They offer beach supplies upon request which were at the ready any time of the day to borrow. The continental breakfast was scant but the coffee was plentiful and it was nice to meet our fellow patrons in the mornings. I enjoyed sitting in the courtyard with my tablet to keep up with my email and such. I am not a resort kind of traveler and enjoy the local culture staying outside of the resorts and this was just the kind of place for this.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank trvlwhnIcan
York Beach, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

St John tends to be an expensive location to find adequate lodging.We stayed at this Inn for 4nights and were quite happy for the price.The rooms are quite old and and in need of some work.They are spatious enough and are very clean.I had one problem and it was corrected to my satisfaction expeditiously.The location is walking distance to town which is a real plus.The staff are friendly and helpful.Stephanie the manager is most pleasant and Amy the bartender is as well.They are both quite helpful.Kia who served breakfast every day was efficient and pleasant.

The food was good as we ate breakfast every day and dinner twice .The food was excdellent.

Room Tip: rooms away from the bar might be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

The Inn at Tamarind Court was fine, however we found that because our room faced the road (and the football field) it was really loud on a Friday night. My wife remarked she thought the cars were coming through the room. That being said, we swapped to another room the next night (on the back of the building) and slept like a dream. The complimentary breakfast was grand--in particular the banana fritters.

A friend who was also staying said that it was the best accomodation for the price on the island and I think we would return bearing in mind the location of our room for the next time through!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SLC, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I was looking for a place to stay in Cruz Bay for a couple of nights and I didn't want to spend a fortune. I simply wanted a place that was close, safe, clean and friendly. Having stayed in "budget" accommodations around the world, my expectations were not that high to start. With that said, the Inn outperformed my expectations and its cost across the board. My room was clean, the a/c worked, the shower was hot and the windows were screened to keep the bugs out. I got good night's sleep both nights. The location is perfect and the restaurant is great too (Asian Night? Try the Crab Rangoon). The Inn's a very short walk from Cruz Bay; close enough without being too close. As other reviewers have noted, it's not the Ritz, but it delivers far more than what you pay.

However, what really sets this place apart are the people who run it; they've got their finger on the pulse of the island and make you feel instantly welcome and part of the local community. The manager, Stephanie, was helpful, friendly and welcoming. Amy was incredible behind the bar and on the Ipod. If you want a tourist trap, this place isn't for you. However, if you want to experience the real Cruz Bay and a little taste of real island life, don't pass up the chance to stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The top floor rooms are the best--rain on the tin roof at night is a great sleep inducer and the roosters crowing in the morning reminded me that I was in the Caribbean. This small Inn is within easy walk of downtown Cruz Bay and all the nightlife. The restaurant and bar are a favorite of the locals and the food was outstanding for such an out-of-the-way place. The staff made me feel welcomed and went out of their way to see that I had a good time. I also highly recommend the Sadie Sea charter boat for snorkeling or exploring the reefs. Their captain and crew are outstanding. Altogether it was a wonderful trip for my first time to St. John.

Room Tip: This hotel is hidden away but within walking distance of downtown. The restaurant is pure island wi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a place to stay for one night and didn't want to spend more than we had to. The Inn is just about the most convenient place to be - a 2 minute walk from the Ferry and the lion share of the restaurants, shopping and bars in Cruz Bay. It's not a luxury hotel - if that's what you're looking for than stay at the Westin. We needed a clean room with a bathroom, nice shower and that's exactly what we received. The Inn serves a nice breakfast as well.

• Stayed January 2012
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
4.5 of 5 stars 577 reviews

Been to Inn at Tamarind Court? Share your experiences!