Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Great Location, Wonderful Bed”
Review of St. John Inn

St. John Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Just got back from my second time staying at the St. John Inn. My favorite part of staying here has got to be the location -- far enough out of Cruz Bay that there's not much traffic or bar noise, but close enough that everything is within a very easy walk. My other favorite part of the St. John Inn is the beds. By far, the most comfortable hotel bed I think I've ever been in. The linens are soft, the mattress and pillows are plush, and the down comforter is just the right weight. St. John Inn offers a good value and a great location, as one of the only options priced between Maho Bay and the Westin.

The property is an older building, and while it is clearly well-loved by the owners, and it is evident they are doing their best to update it, there are a few things that still need a little more renovation. Other than this, though, no complaints about the St. John Inn!

Room Tip: I loved the privacy of the 2-bedroom suite we had on our first stay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed with my family for 10 days in March and we were very pleased with our stay. Liza and Dave were very friendly and accomidating! To start they offered to move us to a bigger room so we were more comfortable at no extra charge. The rooms were clean and comfortable for the value. Obviously its not the westin or caneel bay, and if thats what your looking for you should probly stay there, but in my opinion the St. John Inn is better. You cant beat its location. Its a 5 minute walk to happy hour at Woodys or anywhere else in cruz bay, as opposed to an extremly long walk or a taxi ride from the high end hotels. Dave and his staff were constantly making improvments to the grounds (but were not an inconvience) and they were always more than willing to offer information to help improve our vacation. They also helped us book our boat trips. The place has a very tropical theme with lots of beautiful tropical plants and the buildings are very colorful. The continental breakfast was a great way to start the day and the sunset rum punch was always waiting when we got back! Looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ChrisW112450
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed at the St. John Inn for 5 days and it was very pleasant! It was my first vacation traveling by myself and I was a bit nervous! However, by the second day, I felt like I had been there for some time and was part of a group! Several of us who were at the happy hour even went out to dinner together! It was very easy to meet people and the whole island was very welcoming! The owner was constantly working on updates around the inn. The manager (Liza) was a wealth of information and could answer any question thrown her way! The dog was such a nice warm touch to the inn and was loved by all! It has the perfect location within walking distance to the ferry, restaurants/bars, and shopping! I had some great times and can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tonya R
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights at the start of our visit on St. John. First impression was favorable. The grounds are beautiful with lush greenery and flowering plants every where. The room was clean and beds are comfortable. The fridge worked and good channel selection on tv. The bathroom was clean. The water pressure in the shower was a trickle on the down side. Once I got over that it was ok.
The staff, especially Greg and the owner Dave were so helpful and could not do enough for us. The continental breakfast is quality bagels, muffins, waffles and cereal. I agree it could begin earlier than 8:30; but it is a nice touch.
The free use of coolers, chairs and beach towels were nice to have.
My girls loved the 3 dogs and cat that live there.
The owner is doing an impressive job with constant upgrades! The owner even offered to drive us to our next hotel...so nice of him! We wish him the best!
Location is great with walking distance to many local restaurants and shops. One suggestion: take a taxi off the ferry if u have a ton of luggage like we did.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Beezer3839
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We spent 2 nights here before heading over to Tortola for a yacht charter. Our friends have stayed here in the past so we had visited the property and knew exactly what we were getting - a clean comfortable stay, within easy walking distance of all the Cruz Bay restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful, the property is funky and eclectic and the flora is gorgeous and makes this a little downtown oasis. I can't gush enough about the tropical plants and trees - the team at St. John Inn puts a lot of time in keeping their grounds lush and beautiful. I even got a little lesson on some of the different tropical plants from the caretaker when he was watering.

We were late in booking, so we ended up getting a 2-bedroom even though we only needed one, but the location of this room was away from the rest of the rooms so it was very private.

I do agree with another guest's post that an earlier breakfast would be nice, or at least some coffee for those of us who are awake at 6AM, waiting until 8:30 for breakfast is too late when you are looking forward to spending the day in paradise and have a lot of items on your "to do" list.

Thank you staff at St. John Inn, we had a very nice stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jukatravel
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My friend and I stayed there for a few nights. We got there kind of late and the manager seemed very rude upon our arrival. Getting to St John takes all day so they must be used to late arrivals. She seemed as if we were a huge inconvenience. The roof leaked right onto our bed and we still had another night to stay there. The manager or any staff was nowhere to be seen the next day. We booked our last night at the Tamarind Inn just down the road. It was less expensive and had an attentive kind staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed April 2, 2012

With time being precious while staying at St. John, we wanted to pack a lot of activities into each of our days. Their continental breakfast does not start to open until 8:30am which means the earliest stop at the popular beaches might mean parking was already full. I would suggest a 7:30am breakfast for the early risers. The Inn was very colorful, especially their pool area, all freshly painted in bright tropical colors and the live plants surrounding the outside patio areas were lovely. The room had a musky smell but was clean. For security, they have an outside lock combo to memorize as well as your room key. Every evening they serve a free rum punch if you are into such things. We paid $222 per night for 2 people with 2 beds. I slept on the hide-a-bed that was VERY comfortable. The bedroom had a window overlooking the pool which made talking noise a factor on some evenings. From the patio bar there is a nice view of the water in the distance. This is the nicest building on the street. There are some very interesting local gentlemen who play dominoes and other games out on the sidewalk every evening just up the block. The walk to the ferry dock is just about 4-5 blocks. In Cruz Bay, everything is within walking distance... restaurants, grocery store, shopping, Ntl. Park Visitor's Center.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
#3 of 4 in Cruz Bay
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to St. John Inn? Share your experiences!