“enjoyable ambience, great food and professional service”
Review of Virgin Fire Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Virgin Fire Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Caribbean, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Looking for a Local Hot Spot? Virgin Fire Grill has everything: a fabulous eclectic menu with New Orleans flair served by a dedicated staff and a gracious Mongoose Junction location. Outside, smaller parties can enjoy a breezy romantic veranda, intimate and comfortable. Inside, a historically inspired interior with cozy booths, the largest hi definition video screen on the island, a convivial mahogany bar with stained glass elements and Kimberly Boulon's portraitures. We're great with large parties, family friendly with ample free parking behind Mongoose Junction. Join us for half price appetizers daily from 4 to 6 pm, and for frequent live jazz or reggae. Check our website for the current menu, media and music schedules.
Seattle, Washington
“enjoyable ambience, great food and professional service”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We visited Virgin Fire twice during our visit to St John last week. The first time was for drinks and appetizers, after a long day out on a sailboat charter. There were six of us and we sat up at the bar, ordered 6 different appetizers, and all were really tasty and unique. Drinks were good and the service was attentive. We went back a few nights later for a full dinner and were not disappointed! That time we had 7 in our group and had a nice table in a corner to the right of the bar. Our server (John?) was excellent. He made great recommendations and was there when we needed him without hovering. I had the mahi on squash puree, which was divine! Others at the table had the ribs, a ribeye, jambalaya, the pasta and the seared tuna. Everybody enjoyed their food and cleaned their plates. We finished off sharing 3 different desserts, which were all delish. Bottom line this was a enjoyable ambience with great food and professional servers. Prices seemed on par with other restaurants we've visited on StJ. We'll definitely be back!

• Visited April 2014

St. Louis, Missouri
“Great happy hour prices on food and drink!”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had our first meal here tonight during happy hour. They have an extensive list of appetizers that were half off and a few drink specials. Beers were $3 and wine was $2 off. We tried three appetizers - the flat bread with chicken and pineapple, spring rolls, and chicken wings. The food came out very quickly - probably in less than 10 minutes. The serving size was decent and the food was delicious. We could barely finish all 3 appetizers. The bill for 3 appetizers and 3 drinks was less than $30. Definitely a bargain on St. John.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank stjohnbeachlover
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Great new restaurant - worth a try.”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Decided to try this place. We used to love la plancha - so wanted to see what virgin fire had to offer. The menu is delightful. Definitely get the salt block appetizer - it is the best thing on the menu. I got the chix special- it was amazing. Dishes are huge! The ribs were some of the best - meat just falls off the bone. The jambalaya was special. I don't like how they decorated place. It's too dark inside. And to have the big tv covered up is a big disappointment.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank travelqueen15
rochester ny
“Great Experience”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We dined at this restaurant while in St. Johns in March. We requested a table on the outdoor porch and were accomodated promptly. I have seen reviews stating the service was slow but that was not the case. The waiter was excellent and the food fantastic. The table was great as you had a view of the entire area.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank foody52
Denton, Texas
“Lots of Fancy Decorations....not much else.”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and I were on our 3rd visit to St John in early May of this year. We always have a nice dinner before heading back home as a way to celebrate our adventures in St John. This year we chose the fairly new "Virgin Fire" in Mongoose junction at Cruz Bay. The interior was a blaze with etched glass and neon signage, a very fancy bar area and lots of patio seating. We were excited about choosing this place. Kristin was our server and she was very polite and gave us plenty of attention. My wife ordered the Jerked, bone in ,pork chops with mashed potato, and I decided to try the fish and chips, with mango cole slaw.Trouble started right away when my fish was severd to me undercooked! When I brought this to the attention of our waitress, she promptly returned it to the kitchen then brought me the same piece of fish back, re-fried....huh? In my humble opinion a good restaurant needs to make that mistake right, a new piece of fish, a comped dessert, anything, What did the manager and wait staff do, ...nothing. Just throw it back in the deep-fry and bring it back to my table. My appetite was gone about then. My wife said her pork chop was tasty but my mood had turned. To add insult to injury our wait staff started smack talking our home state when we told her we were from Texas. That pretty much made me turn sour on the whole experience. This place was not cheap we paid a $80 tab for the two us with a tip!! I was not happy with my meal or our service. We will not go back and we will not recommend this place to our many travel friends..sorry guys but you have to be more professional than that, we come from a city, D/FW, that prides itself on quality of food and service. I found neither at Virgin Fire.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank KellyW13
Michael B, Owner at Virgin Fire Bar & Grill, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thanks so much for the review, and we're really glad you and your wife enjoyed certain aspects of the experience, the ambiance and the service. When I read about how the error in the preparation of your meal, I think I was more disappointed that you were. As an owner, you hope that your values are reflected in the minute to minute behavior of your staff, and that you've done a good job training people to understand how to approach a situation like this. In this case, clearly I have failed, and while there is no excuse, we do want to apologize for what occurred.

As a result of your review, we're requiring a manager or owner to be personally involved with any guest complaint. Our goal is complete guest satisfaction and, within reasonable limits, we guarantee it. We've reiterated this to our staff, and discussed it at length.

We encourage guests to ask for a manager at any time during the dining experience, just to chat, or to help us, as this reviewer has, become the kind of restaurant we aspire to.

Thanks