“Some good, some bad”

Virgin Fire Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Caribbean, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Looking for a Local Hot Spot? Virgin Fire Grill has everything: a fabulous eclectic menu with New Orleans flair served by a dedicated staff and a gracious Mongoose Junction location. Outside, smaller parties can enjoy a breezy romantic veranda, intimate and comfortable. Inside, a historically inspired interior with cozy booths, the largest hi definition video screen on the island, a convivial mahogany bar with stained glass elements and Kimberly Boulon's portraitures. We're great with large parties, family friendly with ample free parking behind Mongoose Junction. Join us for half price appetizers daily from 4 to 6 pm, and for frequent live jazz or reggae. Check our website for the current menu, media and music schedules.
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We got here at 8:45, 15 minute until closing. The hostess and server were very welcoming and friendly. The crab cake and paella sliders were excellent. My wife ordered the $32 tuna and it was perfectly done with a delicious glaze. They have a reasonably priced wine list. The server recommended the "wicked" pasta dish with chicken. It was terrible. The chicken pieces were overcooked and dry, there was no real sauce as advertised. The worse part of this dish was that it was overloaded with jalapeno peppers, I took the peppers out and it overfilled small plate. There was no excuse for serving this to a customer. I ate some because I was hungry but the server. Michael, took it back, apologized, and took it off the bill no questions asked. This place has been around long enough not to have anymore "growing pains" but I think I will try it again next visit because of the staff.

Michael B, Owner at Virgin Fire Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Thanks for the visit and the review and we're glad that you enjoyed most of the aspects of the experience. It does sound like that pasta dish missed the mark for you, but I want to commend our attentive server for accommodating you, since you did not enjoy it. However, there are no jalapeño peppers in the description or the dish. Those are cherry peppers, and there are three other types of peppers in the dish, as mentioned on the menu, so an abundance of them would be in the design. We've had some very good comments on this one, but it does seem the kind of thing that''s not for everyone. Thanks for the feedback and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Michael, VF proprietor

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We visited Virgin Fire on Tuesday 4/15/14 for dinner while staying on St. John. We had a party of 8 and were accommodated immediately. Our waiter Marcus was wonderful!! We tried the following dishes: flatbread of the day, virgin fire fries, coconut tempura shrimp, avocado ceviche, himalayan salt block, beef sliders, cajun jambalaya, wicked penne pasta, and jerk pork chop. I had the pork chop which really didn't have any jerk flavor and was a bit dry but still good. Everyone else raved about their food. Drinks were wonderful and had a good amount of rum in them. My daughter begged us to return for a second meal as she wanted the wicked penne pasta again but we did not have time.

Pricey, but what on St. John isn't! Definitely worth a visit and ask for Marcus!

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled on this restaurant while shopping. We were impressed by the menu and made a reservation for that evening. Wonderful experience. Eclectic menu. I had the ribs (literally fall off the bone as advertised with great sauce and oversized serving of fire fries - pretty spicy). My wife had Eggplant Stack Very creative vegetarian dish. Pleasantly surprised by wine list which had everyday wines all the way to Silver Oak cab. Service was friendly and owner (also owns Sun Dog Cafe) stopped by to ask about our meal and chat a while. All in all a great experience.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Virgin Fire was the best dinner and dinning experience I had during my visit to St John in the USVI. My friends and I walked into Virgin Fire and were immediately impressed with the beautiful woodwork, open, spacious layout, and friendly yet professional, attentive manner of the staff. We were seated right away and then our fantastic culinary experience began! We chose sparkling and flat water and sought assistance choosing the wine. We wanted to try several appetizers and our server suggested a Pinot Noir from Oregon that went perfect with the varied selections we made. For starters we ordered the Virgin Firefries (that came with a yummy dipping sauce), flat bread of the day (with fresh toppings), deep fried artichoke hearts and the Himalayan salt block. The salt block is from Nepal and comes heated to the table were one cooks fish, shrimp, and steak on it. I have gluten and wheat allergies and was delighted to find many gluten free appetizer options such as the salt block, tuna tartare and avocado and passion fruit ceviche. All were fresh, clean, and absolutely tasty! After the fun of sharing appetizers and sipping wine while listening to a live acoustic band we were ready to move on to the main course. I was told about how amazing the fresh Mahi Mahi was. It comes a top purred butternut squash and is a perfect if one is grain and gluten free! Cooked perfectly, I savored each bite of the Mahi Mahi as it melted in my mouth! We also ordered the Jamaican Jerk Pork Porterhouse, Josephine's Garden Salad (which had fresh organic greens grown on the island) and the Wedge Salad. Just as the fish and seafood, the salads and meat were fresh and the portion sizes much better than I had experienced in previous establishments I had eaten at. To end our delightful dining experience we decided to get several spoons and sample some deserts. We ordered the Key Lime Pie and Flourless (yes, I said flourless!) Chocolate Cake accompanied with coffees. The flourless chocolate cake was to die for!!! Moist and solid yet fluffy, a chocolate lovers dream come true! The Key Lime Pie was just as divine, not too sweet or tart but just right. Again, the best way I can describe it is "fresh and clean". While dining at Virgin Fire I found out that they have a movie night where they show a movies at the bar. What fun to have a meal or share some appetizers and sip some wine while watching a movie with friends or family! I will definitely be back for that next season. I highly recommend Virgin Fire. It was by far the best food and dining experience I had on St John.

1  Thank chocrose
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The atmosphere was good. Our server was anxious to please but he, along with the staff helping serve our large party, seemed either inexperienced or incapable. Drinks came out fine and then things started to fall apart. Appetizers were a long time coming - and they forgot one of them. Servers started clearing plates before people were finished eating. The burger that was advertised on the paper menu that I had picked up when I made the reservation featured burgers - perfect for my picky-eater 14 year old. The server told us there were no longer burgers and the kitchen wouldn't do one - even though they made sliders. Main dishes finally arrived in waves. We were all sitting there with empty glasses or no beverages after the initial round. Entrees were not impressive in the main and relatively tasteless in some instances (ribs tasted like they were "fall off the bone" because they had been boiled off). When we went back to the restaurant to pick up a camera we left behind, we were kept waiting while the hostess sat with another staff member at the bar having a beer and playing on a tablet. Once the bartender did appear to give me my camera, she commented that "...maybe next time you shouldn't forget it." Really? Won't be back but I'm guessing it won't be here next time I visit.

Michael B, Owner at Virgin Fire Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Thanks, Maria, and really we are sincerely apologetic about your experience. There is no excuse for a lack of caring on the part of staff members, and I want you to know that we will be reviewing every detail of this review with management and staff. I can only say two things in response: everything that went wrong during your visit is my personal responsibility as owner and that, in the hospitality business, that you are as good as the last meal you served. We've had a number of very positive responses, and in our first year are doing well in establishing a business in what can be a difficult industry, but it's easy to see how the careless actions of just one or two staff members can result in you getting the impression you did. As an owner who really does care about both the experience of the guest and the employee, it's very difficult to accept your critique, naturally, but be assured that we will achieve a more consistent level of service and quality with each passing day. Thanks.