“New&Awesome!!!!”

Virgin Fire Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Caribbean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Looking for a Local Hot Spot? Virgin Fire Grill has everything: a fabulous eclectic menu with New Orleans flair served by a dedicated staff and a gracious Mongoose Junction location. Outside, smaller parties can enjoy a breezy romantic veranda, intimate and comfortable. Inside, a historically inspired interior with cozy booths, the largest hi definition video screen on the island, a convivial mahogany bar with stained glass elements and Kimberly Boulon's portraitures. We're great with large parties, family friendly with ample free parking behind Mongoose Junction. Join us for half price appetizers daily from 4 to 6 pm, and for frequent live jazz or reggae. Check our website for the current menu, media and music schedules.
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Great service, stellar food, unique and not quite like the other restaurants here. The Salt Block at 500 degrees is such a great way to enjoy shrimp, tuna, steak:-)!!! Will go back for sure...

There are newer reviews for Virgin Fire Bar & Grill

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We were seated at the front so able to people watch as well as enjoy the delicious dinner....
my husband had BBQ ribs (large portion so able to take some home)....and pork was wonderful. Very pleasant servers.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Now I understand that Virgin Fire had enormous shoes to fill by taking the space formerly occupied by the totally amazing La Plancha del Mar, but I did expect a lot more having visited their web site and read their menus. The staff is very welcoming and we had our favorite table outside overlooking the nightime scene downtown St. John, with warm, almost magicl breezes. Our drinks were okay, nothing compared to the offerings of the master bartender of the former group, although the bartender was totally captivating! The Pork Belly Appetizer listed on the on-line menu that we relished at La Plancha, and had lusted over while waiting to get here, was no longer offered, but the cerviche was fresh, delicious, and a work of art! Then things went astray; We sat for nearly 45 minutes waiting for the entrees - our waiter among the missing. When the plates finally arrived, food was presented well, but lukewarm and overcooked. We were not asked asked about the food until the wine we had ordered with the meal arrived as we were nearly done (it's a moot cause to raise objections at this point). We did not finish this VERY expensive meal,taking it back to nibble on days later. I will try again here next year when wee return, as I understand that everyone has an off day now and again, with the sincerest hopes they will have overcome their growing pains...

Michael B, Owner at Virgin Fire Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thanks, Davis

Sorry you were disappointed and appreciate the sense of faith that we will overcome the growing pains. There are many things that La Plancha did well, but we are not La Plancha. I can relate to how good the Pork Belly Appetizer that they served-- that was something very unique, but our approach, or course, must differ. Glad you loved the ceviche, but a 45 wait between courses is a very long time, sorry, and think it is unacceptable for a server to fail to check back with you on delivered food, to where you could not properly seek a remedy. Would love to know what the entrees were, to make sure we can dial them in to your liking on your next visit.

Please email me anytime at michael@stjohnhost.com. Truly, the comments are appreciated.

Michael

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Let me start by saying that the server we had, who was very new, was AMAZING!! She is the only reason this didn't place didn't receive my first terrible review ever and instead got poor. She was very attentive, and happy which made the meal fun. 4 of us had dinner and drinks. They sat us at an amazing table outside that that over looked the street. The decor is very unique, not normal island style, but dark and mysterious with a good atmosphere.

On to the food, it can be called such. I had the "Jamaican Jerk Pork Porterhouse" for $26. The meat came out nicely grilled and moist, not dry at all I will give it that. But flavor? Nothing Jamaican or Jerk about it. It was flavorless, spice-less, and just not what is expected when you see the word "jerk" on the menu. This can be made at home for $6. Two others ordered the "Wicked Penne Pasta". I tasted this and will pass on the others reviews. This dish could be featured on "Americas Worst Cooks" on the Food Network. It was best described as college pasta night. Penne pasta with bland grilled chicken, a watery marinara sauce, chunks of cherry peppers and GREEN OLIVES STUFFED WITH PIMENTOS!! Basically someone took all they had in their college pantry and dumped it over pasta. It was bland, watery, and absolutely disgusting. And jared green olives??!? I like olives but this seemed like an after thought and is not even listed as an ingredient on the menu!!

The ambiance is nice, but the terrible execution of the food is not worth it.

Hi Dustin

Thanks for your review and we're glad that the service was amazing. Apparently, we missed the mark on the food, and we are sincerely apologetic that you did not enjoy aspects of it.

We have already changed the menu and reworded the pork entree to "Bone In Pork Chop".... we've had this item a while and I agree, it doesn't have a distinctly Jerked flavor. It is twelve ounces, and costs us about $8.50 in food currently, which equates to a menu price of $26 as noted. The markup up here is typical in the industry. It has a delicious flavor and with the grilled fresh pineapple, it does work, but is not "jerk". Sorry if we misled you a bit on the description here. Glad it was "nicely grilled and moist". Thanks for the pointer.

We've also been working on that pasta dish, and clearly it needs some help in the execution of a Italian piedmont dish that I experienced in New York, that we've adapted for our restaurant. The menu does state olives, but they are now black olives, which is more appropriate, and we've reviewed the sauce and it is now absolutely delicious. I can see that what we served you met neither of our expectations, and we do want to apologize for letting you down.

Having said that, the satisfaction of each and every guest is our primary goal, and we are completely committed to it. Did you not mention to our "amazing" server that you were having a problem with the taste of the entrees? No one likes to complain, of course, but sincerely, if we had know there was an issue when you were here, I'm thinking we would have been doing our level best to make it right. Our servers are trained in this regard, and are very caring people. Your enthusiastic description of how bad the food was has a real impact on the individuals working here and as the owner, on my perceptions of our good and able staff. I can tell you that I really do appreciate good constructive criticism, and appreciate it more when it is delivered personally in a way that allows us the opportunity to satisfy our guests. Your specific comments here will result in improvements in the food, as so, we do really and sincerely appreciate it.

Restaurants do take a little while to coalesce, and goodness knows, I wish we could make every single meal the best one you ever had. My experience is that with new places and new ideas, it is a process that unfortunately is not as consistent as we will become in time. All we would ask is to let us know how we're doing in a way that respects the sincere efforts of the team of people involved, and demonstrates some faith that we do actually care.

We had a restaurant in New York and we had a little something on the menu: If you like the place, tip the server. If you don't, tip the management.

Thanks!

Michael

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had a great meal at Virgin Fire. The tuna was delicious as was everything else the family ordered. Comfortable atmosphere and the staff and friendly and helpful.