“Wonderful Trip to the Westin in St John”

The Westin St. John Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Voorhhes, NJ
“Wonderful Trip to the Westin in St John”
Reviewed May 26, 2005

My husband and I spent 8 beautiful and magnificent days at the Westin in St. John from March 31st through April 8th. The trip reminded me of the show "Fantasy Island". When we arrived at the airport the Westin staff were there to greet us and immediately took us to the ferry. Upon arriving at the Westin we were greeted by even more terrific staff that were waiting with room keys in hand, rum drinks, and staff to take us directly to our room. Our room was more beautiful than I ever expected! Our stay was the most memorable vacation that we have had. In February we had stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu and were very disappointed with the level of customer service. A few years ago I had the opportunity to vacation at the Westin in Maui and was extremely pleased with the facility and staff. The staff at the Westin St. John solidified my belief that the Westin truly knows the meaning of customer service.

The peace and tranquility of the hotel and island will definitely have us returning. Thank you to all the wonderful staff for making our stay unforgettable!

7 Thank jmknee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2005

I just got back from my trip to St. John were me and my husband stayed at the Westin. Despite the rainy weather, we had a great time!!

The Westin was perfect - starting from checking in at the airport. Our room was perfect. We had a pool view room in Building 12. The pool and beach were great! I had read that the Westin is filled with kids, but I did not encounter this at all. The people were very friendly and the concierge was a great help for planning dinners and sightseeing.

One thing that you must do is to plan a trip on a boat called the Breakaway!! It was the highlight of our trip!!! A beautiful boat!!! It goes to the British Virgin Islands. The captain was outstanding!! I can't say enough about it!!

The only thing that we didn't like and is why the Westin does not rate an Excellent is the Beaches restaurant. The service was not good, by any of the servers there. I would suggest going into town to get breakfast. Also, dinner at Beaches was not good. The cheeseburger was horrible and greasy.

Good places for dinner are Morgan's Mango, Fish Trap, and the Lime Inn.

Overall the Westin was great!!! We can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed May 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed May 12, 2005

Stayed at the Westin from May 5th - 12th. My husband and I prefered to save the extra $$ and took a taxi from St. Thomas Airport ($12/per person) to the Red Hook Ferry ($3/per person) and then a taxi to the Westin once on St. John ($3/per person). It saves you quite a bit of $$, but is definitely much more of a hassell. If you want to start on Relax Mode when you get off the plane and can afford the $72/pp.... take the Westin Ferry.
Once at the Westin, Wendy at the front desk was wonderful. She tried to get us into a single King bed for the entire stay, but told us that we would probably have to move atleast once. We stayed in 3 rooms while we were there (which we had agreed to), and definitely realized that the rooms are all different. The first floor rooms in the 21 bldg are great, and anything up at the villas are wonderful. But we had one night in a second floor corner room that left much to be desired. Much of the furniture was gashed and broken and the bathroom was dirty with a broken fan and broken lights. Many of the front office staff are very accomodating, so if you get stuck in the land of the forgotten....just talk to someone. They were wonderful to us.
As far as food, loved Morgan's Mango fruity drinks and coconut shrimp. The Fish Trap has a wonderful Tuna w/ Wasabi sauce. Mango Deli on site has Pizza Uno which is great for a mellow night. If you walk off the resort to a little deli/store called Simple Feast, you can find great egg burritos/sandwiches for breakfast as well as sandwiches to take for day excursions. We also loved Deli Grotto in Mangoose Junction - wonderful Panini sandwiches as well as a great Cobb Salad (for the low carbers).
All in all, we loved St. John and the Westin was great! We will go back! Hope this helps.

• Stayed May 2005
17 Thank WCoastGirl
old saybrook, ct
Reviewed May 12, 2005

We just got back from visiting the Westin w/ 3 kids. I'll start w/ the positives to be fair. From the airport to the ferry to the room was smooth. It turned out to be a good idea to splurge on the Westin's ferry--we were very happy with how the transition went and the staff, at this point, were helpful and friendly. Giving out water on the ferry was a nice touch, as was the rum punch served when we got off. The kids loved seeing the beach and parrots first thing. We were driven to what we thought was an ocean view room and turned out to be a view of the inside of a tree--my husband quickly told the man who brought our bags up that this was not what we'd booked. He said he'd take care of it, and 5 minutes later, we were upgraded to a huge beachfront room. It was great w/ 3 kids to have so much room to spread out in. The housekeeping staff was friendly. The grounds were beautiful, the pool was the biggest draw for us, and especially our 2.5 y/o toddler. I can see why some would complain about the beach, but for young children, it's perfect and it's easy enough to get to the other beaches on St. John. Taxis were easy to come by at the Westin and there is no need to rent a car. The deli was great and reasonable (for the resort). St. John itself is just gorgeous--loved exploring the island and did not have one bad meal outside the Westin. We can wholeheartedly recommend La Tapa, Asolare, Lime Inn and others mentioned below. The people here were friendly and it was pretty easy bringing our children to all places, even the fancy Asolare where there was no kids' menu but they were accommodating and friendly nonetheless. These places were all pricey but the food and staff made it ok.

Which brings me to the problem w/ the Westin. For a resort that charges $400 a night in a bridge season, and the same prices for food as the above mentioned places, it was almost across the board mediocrity. We shouldn't have had to remind reservation staff that we had booked an ocean view room; we shouldn't have had to wonder where the towels in our room were or even if the room was cleaned. We came back to find beds made and our towels gone but none replaced and carpets and windows still a mess. Our room was huge and nicely decorated but paint was chipping, bathroom had bugs, and caulking in shower coming apart. I didn't complain then because I was willing to overlook this if the rest of the place went smoothly. It didn't. The wait staff at breakfast was crossing a thin line from "surly" to downright rude. On two different occasions I told the wait staff we were ready to order only to have them ignore me and walk away. When you're paying $15 for 2 waffles this is unacceptable. Same with the staff that brought the $8 drinks at the pool. Same with one of the concierges when asked about a rental car. The gripe is not about the prices because they were the same at restaurants, etc., in the Carribean, but don't act like you're doing a favor when it's your job. And we understand the concept of "island time" but it's not an excuse for being rude or taking advantage of customers.

Basically, what we got was bare-minimum-that-they-could-get-away-with service. Towards the end of the stay I had to wonder what the heck these people were so miserable about and why the Westin isn't doing some sort of customer service seminars. The only time they bent over backwards was when they thought they might get us to sit through a time-share presentation. At the end of our stay we got a printout of our bill. Sure enough we were billed for our upgrade, which, sadly, was no surprise.

The Westin did not by any means ruin our vacation, but when we thought about what we'd paid (or what people in the high season pay), it was nowhere near worth it. We loved St. John but will not stay at the Westin again unless they decide to improve it to the level they pretend it is.

Stayed May 2005
37 Thank kristi71
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2005

my husband and i spent 5 wonderful nights at the westin at the end of april. we could not have imagined a nicer vacation. i am amazed when i read reviews written by others that are so negative. these people must just be very unhappy people. PLEASE email me if you have any questions about this place. i would be more than happy to give you very honest information! mihosta@southfield.k12.mi.us

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2005

We were extremely disappointed by our stay at the Westin St. John from March 3 through March 8, 2005. This hotel is not for a traveler who seeks luxurious appointments and creature comforts. The accomodations and facilites at the hotel are hopelessly outdated, the service is terrible and there is no attention to detail. We were charged over $600 a night for a room worth not more than $100 a night. Upon arrival, we were taken to our room which can only be called a fixer-upper. The bathroom was old, had a huge leak, and the tiles were cracked. Even worse, the bathroom mirror had not been placed on the wall properly so it would shake very loudly every time the air conditioner came on. We had notified the hotel prior to our arrival that we would be travelling with our 6-month old son but did not find a crib in the room as we requested and were disturbed to find that we were assigned to a room that could only be accessed by climbing a flight of 15 steps. You can imagine the workout my husband and I had dragging our baby and his stroller up and down those steps everytime we wanted to leave the room. For two nights, we stayed in the same room and experienced the worst service imaginable. We would leave our room in the morning around 8 and would come back around 3 to find that the room had not been made up even though at noon I would call to request that the room be made up as soon as possible so we could bring the baby in for a nap. We had to make repeated calls to management and even had to call Starwood's corporate offices to get any service to our room. It was also incredible that when housekeeping did come, they left the door to our room open the whole time so that every bug imaginable came in. The severe reaction to the 30+ insect bites I received as a result only added to the terrible experience we were having. After three days of repeated complaints, we were finally moved to another room which was still very outdated but was at least on the beach and close to the hotel's facilitiies. We wondered why we had not been assigned a similar room from the beginning considering the price we paid. Although the room was much better, the service did not improve. As for food at the hotel, it is very lackluster. The only redeeming "dining" spot is Mango's Deli which had delicious Starbucks coffee and breakfast treats. Unfortunately, on the day of our departure (a Tuesday), the deli had run out of food by 8 AM. The shortfalls of the Westin St. John are too numerous to mention but I know I will never stay there again and would advise anyone against it.

21 Thank wantedgreatvacation
USA
Reviewed April 23, 2005

The Westin is a fabulous resort. You can't go wrong staying here with kids. We travelled with an 8 month old, and there were plenty of other toddlers and infants throughout the resort. If you're looking for a vacation spot with quiet and seclusion, the Westin may not be for you. But if you've got kids (or don't mind them all around), the Westin makes it easy.

The ferry service worked well -- a note to the queazy, though: don't sit below. Perhaps it was exceptionally choppy the day we arrived, but the ferry ride was a bit rough. The ride back (sitting up top) was much, much better. Those without boat issues should have no problem either way.

Contrary to some other posts, my family and I thought the staff were all exceptionally nice. Everyone always greeted us with a smile. The service was excellent and efficient. The grounds were beautiful and the room was great. The heavenly bed was precisely that. I also second the many endorsements of Morgan's Mango in Cruz Bay -- a fabulous meal in a great setting. Fish Trap is also worth a try.

Some have been critical of the Westin beach. It is smaller and man-made, so it obviously doesn't compare to the natural beauty of the national park beaches nearby. But unless you're a really picky beach afficianado, the Westin beach is perfectly adequate. Others have been frustrated by the sprawling nature of the resort, but the golf cart shuttles were everywhere. It was never hard to get around, and given how nice the grounds were, it was often nice to just walk. Taxis to Cruz Bay and off-site beaches were not only very easy to find, they were perhaps the best bargain on the island!

As to the restaurants, the food was adequate. Hardly world-class. But it was no more expensive than any hotel setting. In fact, some of the meals were less than I would have expected. And the on-site deli/market was a great bonus. You can get some cheap meals that way.

All in all, my family and I had a wonderful time. We would certainly return to the Westin.

15 Thank jetsdc
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!