“Be careful!!”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Be careful!!”
Reviewed January 3, 2005

I and my husband had a wedding there a year ago. We were thinking to get merry whether in Ritz-Carlton (St. Thomas) or Westin. Then, we chose Westin because we were very attracted the nature of St. John. We had wedding there a year ago. I agree with many points of the review “Wedding planning from Hell!!!!” I would like to write the worst thing which was happened in our wedding. The cameraman to shoot our wedding video didn’t show up and we were told that after the ceremony started. I couldn’t believe what was happened. Our family member and friends are so disappointed after all. I was confused but I couldn’t complain because the ceremony was already started and I didn’t want to ruin it. They had never given us any explanation why such a horrible thing was happened. Because of this incident, we had hard time during the stay at this hotel. We still avoid talking about this incident. We didn’t have any apology from anybody from the hotel but our planner until we sent an e mail to the hotel. We received the letter from the one of manager which emphasized they refund the money for the video shooting and gave us the ticket for complementary stay with expiration date on it. Do they think that we will forget and forgive them by the expiration date?? Off course, the date was already expired and I’m sure they don’t care and don’t even remember that. I just want to say the couples who are planning wedding there that you should make sure what you need are going to be there or not. I really hope that nobody will repeat what I experienced in our wedding.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Reviewed December 30, 2004

We stayed at the Westin for a week last January. We were lucky because the resort was very quiet and didn't get busy until the end of our week. Overall we enjoyed our stay. Much of that was due to the great room we received. They surprised us with an upgrade from two rooms to a 2 bedroom duplex suite.

The good and bad about the resort:

- Our room and the public areas were clean and well maintained.

- Nice and large pool but only one.

- The beach is so-so at best and the water in the cove is very murky, apparently because of the boat traffic (many boats anchor there), but people swim in it. The beachside water toys are a little lame because you can only tool around the cove. If you want white sand beaches and turqoise waters right at the hotel this place is not for you.

- The rooms are in several satellite buildings and the resort is very spread out but we liked that.

- We ate every breakfast and lunch at the resort. My wife and I went into town for 2 dinners. The menus at the resort get very old in a hurry. The beach lunch restaurant has a daily sandwich but otherwise the menu is limited. This certainly isn't a fatal issue.

- It took us 3 days before we heard that kids eat breakfast free in the other beachside restaurant. But the breakfast buffet there is very nice and the dinner buffet and ala carte food is pretty good too.

- The kids club seemed ok but our 5 year-old only used it two afternoons. The young ladies that run it and the activities are fairly enthusiastic.

- The staff is not particularly service oriented (friendly, going out of their way, etc.) but that's due to the local culture and the service isn't bad.

- The information we received from the conceirge was inconsistent, especially with respect to the departure arrangements in town. We thought we had enough time to spend time in St. Thomas and 2 conceirges said we did. The first recommended a luggage storage place that the second was full. It was only on the Westin's departure dock that the departure staff told us the airport would take far more time than planned. I couldn't understand why it's so hard to get that info right.

- The Westin's shuttle service from St.Thomas's airport makes the trip easy (you just go to their office by baggage claim) but it is expensive and it probably takes longer than taking a cab to one of the ferry terminals and catching a ferry. You wait at the airport for a sufficient group, then you wait at the dock for the boat. Each wait for us was about an hour and that was before the 45 minute ride to the Westin's dock. The return was much better because several small vans met the boat. If you use their service you also get unlimited trips back to St. Thomas which is nice. We used it once.

A word of caution - Plan on arriving at the airport 2.5 to 3 hours before your flight leaves or you will be panic stricken when you see the lines. I saw the sky cap speed another family through the check in portion but I didn't grab one fast enough.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, Md
Reviewed December 14, 2004

Let me start by saying that my now husband and I are avid scuba divers who frequent the Caribbean as often as we can. Western, Eastern, Southern...they all hold there own charm and offer different vacation opportunities depending on your tastes. We are very laid back fun lovers who are not hard to please...especially on vacation. A bad day in paradise is better than the best day at work right?? We are also Starwood members and our last Westin stay was in Grand Cayman and we couldn't have been more pleased.

In planning our wedding (second marriages for both of us) we thought...let's do it in the Caribbean! It seemed the perfect fit for our celebration of love and our lust for fun and travel! And it took the headache out of wedding planning at home...or so we thought.

Our "wedding planner" Margaret was as sweet as she could be, but young, clueless, disorganized, poor communicator, and not worth a fraction of the $1000 fee.

The Westin St. John does not come close to the Starwood standards found elsewhere. They charged my sister's credit card TWICE for a room that was wrong in the first place. They tried to make this up to us by offering a 3 bedroom villa for our stay in place of our 2 separate rooms. Sounded Great! Until we found out they had overbooked the villa and we had to move the day before our wedding!!!!

That was unacceptable to me. Had it been the two of us, we would have seen this as an inconvenience. We had 3 small children, an elderly woman, a refrigerator and cabinets full of food, and luggage for 8 days that we had to PACK AND UNPACK for the move. What a pain the night before your wedding when you have guests arriving! The staff gave us 2 free nights and a free couples massage to make it up to us. Well, we didn't have time for the massage, which they tried to charge us for...yes, they tried to charge us for our COMPLIMENTARY massage. Upon check out, we were told that our bill was "all set"but upon arrival home, we found out that the Westin hit our credit card with $1900 charge for "miscelaneous charges" that they called "incidentals". WHAT???? We are still waiting for an itemized bill. It's been 3 weeks. Not a good way to come home from a trip!!!

Okay, as for the property...its gorgeous. Imaculate. Landscaped to the tee with a dedicated staff of groundskeepers. The staff in general were very friendly and eager to help. Particularly the shuttle drivers who become vital to your existance! They could not have been more helpful and curteous. Meals were pricey, but that's the way it is in some of these island resorts, and if you're going, dont expect to eat for under $25 at any meal on property. My 12 year old's eyes bugged out when he saw the $18 hamburger on the menu at the beach cafe! It was pretty funny!

The pool is enormous and full of kids. Great family spot. Not quiet and romantic if you're looking for a "romance" package. They also have climbing walls and trampolines in the sea, which kept my 6, 10, and 12 year olds busy all week long! We made the perfect choice as far as they were concerned!

Our wedding itself was more perfect than we could have imagined, but not due to the Westin Staff. We found our own minister, Elaine DelSol, who was a blessing herself. HIGHLY RECOMMEND HER if youre looking. We also planned a floating reception on our own through Adventure VI on the Calypso Catamaran that anchors off of the Westin dock. They could not have been more lovely. We had a 3 hour sail with an hour snorkel stop, and they provided open bar, water, fruit, and ham sandwhiches for $60pp which was a wonderful deal well worth it. Our guests could not say enough about their day with us!!!

I highly recommend going into town for meals. It's a quick cab ride, and the food at Tage' is an experience not to be missed!

Our week of November 19th-26th was one to be remembered by all, but not because of the Westin St. John.

We were very disappointed with our experience and would not recommend this particular Westin to anyone. The other beaches are much better and cleaner, and way less crowded, so why stay there and put up with inadequate management?

Don't miss St. John. It is one of the most gorgeous, unspoiled, private, uncroweded island in the caribbean that I've personally been to, but stay at a private villa or at another resort. The westin was a VERY EXPENSIVE HEADACHE for two laid back newlyweds!

14 Thank CaribbeanJunkee
Reviewed December 13, 2004

My wife and I just returned from 7 days at the Westin St. John - our Honeymoon. I don't know how anyone can trash this resort!

I will tell you everything you need to know in this review.

The Good:
St. John is absolutely beautiful. The Westin is located in Great Cruz Bay, far enough away from the commercial traffic of Cruz Bay. The resort is world class. The rooms/villas are spread out and the amenities are numerous. Just about everything you need is at your fingertips: car, food, watersports, tennis, exotic animals, taxis, workout facility, and the list goes on. We stayed in building 14, which is central to the resort and had a pool and oceanview. The next time I go back, I am requesting the exact same room. It was perfect...The service wasoutstanding, although I did run into a few minor problems which I will talk about below. The staff was extremely friendly and outgoing. Everyone is very laid back, which is nice. The landscaping at the Westin is incredible. I have about 40 pics if anyone is interested in seeing more. After seeing the Westin, the Ritz and Caneel Bay resorts seemed to be on a lower tier.

The Bad:
The room paint could use a little updating. Wasn't digging the colors at al, but then again, WHO CARES! We were in paradise, and spent very little time in the room. Also, the housekeeping staff overlooked one thing in our room everyday....the previous guests left a pair of women's underwear underneath our table. No one ever cleaned this up. I actually thought it was pretty funny...and they looked clean, by the way. The food is average at the Westin, and it is just a little pricey. Let's face it, everything on the island is expensive! Finally, one thing that did annoy me was when they came to pick up our luggage at checkout. It rained that day, and our luggage was soaking wet. Fortunately, I have LL BEAN luggage so nothing was ruined inside.

Things that you MUST do:
The trip to the Virgin Gorda/Baths/Norman Caves..awesome trip with pretty good snorkeling.

waverunner tour from the Westin - one of the most fun things I have ever done. One tip if you do this, ask the guys at the shack how many people are going during each time slot. We went in the afternoon one day at basically had a private tour. This allowed us to really open up the throttle and have some real fun. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Rent a Dinghy - again, this is a must. This allows you to cruise into these beautiful beaches....and snorkel. We did the half day rental and camped out in Hawksnest Bay (I think that is what it is called - its the one before Trunk). Not very crowded, decent snorkeling, and gorgeous, warm water.

Finally, rent the Jeep - everyone recommends it, so do I. It's weird at first, driving on the wrong side, but you get used to it. The views are great. The actually roads are scary as hell. Straight up and down, with dozens of hairpin turns. Me Likey, though.

FINAL THOUGHTS - The food as a whole on St. John is average. We eat all over. Nothing impressed me. Don't bother going over to St. Thomas to shop, because it sucks. The deals are no better than going on the internet or eBay. It's just a bunch of liquor and ------ jewelry stores. We were there literally 30 minutes and then headed back to St. John.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 9, 2004

We visited the Westin 11/13 - 11/20, and I want to preface this by saying it is coming from the perspective of a father of three children, 5, 3 and 1.

We had the most enjoyable family vacation we have ever had. We've been to Grand Cayman Marriot, Puerto Rico Hilton and the Atlantis in the Bahamas, and enjoyed this island more than any other. I was concerned about the mixed reviews I'd read, but the Westin far exceeded my expectations. And in fact, we spent the last 2 days of our vacation at the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas, and that was a letdown after the Westin.

We stayed in a 2BR villa, which I would highly recommend for families. The extra space and the kitchen are very handy. The villa was beautifully decorated, and very clean. And while they say the resort shuttles run every 15 minutes, I can't remember a time we waited more than 10.

Our kids had a fantastic time at the beach/pool, loved the different activities, trampoline and icebergs, and actually entertained themselves long enough on most days for Mom and Dad to actually "lounge" on a lounge chair for a while.

And lastly, the service was superior. We constantly commented on how nice and generous everyone was at the resort, and on the island in general. I didn't find any restaurants all that great, at the resort or in town, but I don't go to a tropical island to eat. I go to relax, and that is just what the Westin delivered.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 6, 2004

After visiting the Westin ST John numerous times I have come to the conclusion that my goal in life is to remain down there someday. The staff throughout the resort is by far the most friendly and accomodating and professional and absolutely makes the stay there one of perfection. Everything is run so very smoothly and the staff is completely reliable. We were even there during a hurricane and were treated like royalty by the staff who put our safety first and foremost. There are just not enough wonderful ways to remark about the fantastic Westin St John. Paradise Perfection !!!!!!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 5, 2004

My wife and I spent 10 pampered nights in the vacation villas at the Westin St. John. Everything was very relaxed and efficient from the staff and really made the trip worthwhile. We are both are well travelled and would rate this place at the top of the list.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!