Overall we really enjoyed our stay at the Westin St. John, but guests should understand that this property seems to be transitioning from a hotel to a time share property. With the conversion to villa time shares, we found a few shortcomings. In particular, there are limited breakfast options (no breakfast buffet, even on a sunday), and no fine dining restaurant. I think most guests use their villa to cook, and so options for hotel guests are very limited. Not a deal breaker, but not something we have experienced at other resorts.
On the positive side, the hotel seemed ghostly (three buildings empty, still under construction), so no problems finding chairs near the pool or on the beach. No corporate events, weddings or noisy parties, and nightime was incredibly peaceful. We were in building 10 right on the beach, and away from any construction noise.
The grounds and outside were immaculate, but despite the renovation, the lobby is tired and old looking. We could not see much new (we stayed here 20 years ago when it was the Hyatt), except there was new tile around the pool. Our room was refreshed just this past August we were told, but the furnishings in our room were starting to look a bit worn.
We found Teri at the vacation service desk to be helpful and friendly, and Sue at the pool hut always had a smile for us. The Westin ferry service works well, but pack a day bag as it can take hours for your luggage to travel from the Westin dock to your room. We were a bit disappointed that we could not checkin to our room until 5pm, it had not yet been cleaned. This property does not have an in-transit space for guests, so after a long day of travel, there was no place to change or relax, other than at the pool.
The island is a great vacation destination, and It would be hard not to enjoy yourself at this property. It will be interesting to see how it handles the transition from hotel to a hotel/time share hybrid. With just a little more attention to detail this property could be much better than an average resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 1,200 feet of private beach, The Westin St. John Resort, makes for the perfect island retreat. Stay in spacious rooms with ocean views from private balconies or patios. Guests can enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi available in all rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Westin St. John Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin St. John Resort And Villas
- Westin St. John Resort & Villas Hotel Cruz Bay
- Westin Cruz Bay
- Cruz Bay Westin
- St John Westin
- The Westin St. John Resort Cruz Bay