“It's about the island....”

The Westin St. John Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“It's about the island....”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I frequent STJ and own two vacation units at the Westin. I was back this fall while the resort was under construction. The pool is now back open and I hear it is good! It is going to take a while for all of this to complete and this is work on an island and not the mainland.

For those first timers heading to the Westin.... You can take the Westin Breeze if you want the simplest of travel to the resort. It comes with a steep price tag of $120/PERSON!!! To be honest it is way too much. At the airport take a cab to Red Hook and get on the ferry. ($15 cab +7 for the ferry +2 bucks a bag). You can get a taxi right in Cruz Bay to the Westin and it is VERY easy and far more economical!!!! Also you will not have to wait for your bags to be delivered to your room.

If you arrive early please exercise the travel tip of having your swim suit in your carry-on. Check your bags and go enjoy the pool until your room is ready. No need to rush to see a room that is a bed, bathroom etc...

The beach at the Westin is likely the worst on the entire island. Do not judge the island by this beach. The island of STJ is fantastic and so are the beaches. Check out as many as you can! The activities crew are a lot of fun and if they still have the scavenger hunt running...do it! What a great way to learn about this beautiful island. I learned this fall that the electric is at 47 cents/KwH!!!! Be nice and turn the lights off in your room when you are not there! Every bit helps.

I read there are some complaints about the golf carts and the availability. There have been cut backs to that service and they seem to be "lightly" staffed. The guys are doing the best they can trying to cover the entire property.

The previous comment about the "sales pitch" from Eric is completely correct. 45 minutes would be a miracle...more like 2 hours. If you have the time it is nice to check out however on a short trip....use the two hours for FUN!

One of the main reasons I own here is because of the staff at the resort. They will take care of you! Locals start their conversations with Good Morning, 'afternoon, evening....you will get a lot further taking the 15 seconds to greet the islanders like this and understand their way of life. Say your 'and thank you's. Work with....not against.

I am looking forward to seeing the completion of the renovations upon my next return.I am more excited to see the staff who always make my trip the BEST!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Finztotheleft
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you very much for your review and your suggestions for future guests. We truly appreciate your kind words regarding our helpful and friendly staff – it sounds as though you’ve figured out the island style and we appreciate your understanding. We also thank you for your commitment to sustainability and helping us to save even a little bit on electricity. It can get very pricey and every little bit helps. Our staff looks forward to seeing you again and we can’t wait to have you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have a relative on St. John and asked him where to stay. He said if I wanted a typical upscale hotel chain experience with all the conveniences, to stay at the Westin. I did and I was pleased with my decision.

I stayed in a poolside room at the hotel a few days after they completed construction of the pool. The room was fine, not exciting, but clean, nice and spacious enough for me. The location was great. I could see the pool out my sliding glass doors or get there with a short walk. I was there a few days before Christmas and had no trouble getting a chair in the afternoon.

One afternoon I ate a snack at the bar near the pool. Another day I had a late lunch and drink brought to my chair. The food was good and the waitress was fantastic. She was friendly and prompt. The whole experience was relaxing.

They were doing construction on other parts of the hotel, which I accidentally wandered over to, but it was never an issue during my stay.

We went to two different beaches and viewed others from the road. Although the hotel has a beach, if you can get to one of the local beaches, I recommend it. They are gorgeous and peaceful. Some have amenities and some don't, so check based on your needs. If you don't want to leave the hotel, at least you have the option of their beach.

The island of St. John is stunning. Most of it is preserved land, so there is a lot of lush greenery and beautiful water.

I took the Westin ferry to and from the airport. What's great is that their ferry is about a 7 minute drive from the airport and pulls right up to the Westin. You give them your luggage at the airport and they handle all the delivery until it's brought to your room. What I didn't like was that the ferries were 2.5 hours apart and if you were close to making the earlier one but not guaranteed to make it, they made no effort to try to get you on the earlier one. They just told you about the public one, but the experience didn't seem customer focused. This was a problem for others as well and I told the hotel.

If you do miss the Westin ferry, there is a restaurant and grocery store at the dock in St. Thomas. The food at the restaurant was fine and the server was very friendly, but I'd rather be on St. John. The Westin "lounge" is a small room with magazines, water, a couch and a fan. By the way, if you get seasick, stay outside and higher on the boat. I started the ride indoors since it had rained, but it was so nauseating I had to move outside. The ride back I was fine.

I had breakfast one day in town and one day at the hotel. Both were enjoyable. I didn't see a huge price difference. I think whether it seems high depends on what you are used to paying. I was fine with the price of food.

Overall, I would stay here again and I do recommend it.

Room Tip: The pool room had a great view and was convenient for going to the pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lori W
I can’t thank you for enough for providing so many details regarding our resort. It sounds as though you enjoyed our convenient ferry transfer, spacious pool and dining service provided, and our island overall. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your return. Thanks again for sharing your review.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We own a 3 bed pool villa and have been coming to The Westin for 8 years now.

The pros.
Our villa is huge and has a great kitchen. It is great to not have to run to a restaurant every time you get hungry. Plus, I love hanging out with family playing cards, and watching movies in the evening.
Now that the main pool has been redone it is even more enjoyable.
The location and the property are lovely.
The staff are some of the nicest ever except for 2-3 people but I don't want to bash anyone.
Helen May makes a killer drink and always has such a sweet smile.
Anytime we ever had an issue it was always resolved, it may have taking a few days but the staff, maintenance people, and management always make it right.
We always take a day sail with CruzBay Island Spirit and it is located right at the Westin Dock.
The St. John Market is just a walk away and has a lot of nice produce and food for cooking.

The cons
The beach at the resort is not Awesome-it is ok. In fact this year we didn't spend one day at the Westin beach because some yucky sea grass had washed up and the sand flies/fleas were hanging out all around the grass. It also was starting to stink. No worries there are more beaches on St John than days to enjoy them.
The concierge-most are really nice, but one always acts like he knows me and is my best friend just to get me to do the owner update (timeshare deal). I find this smarmy and insincere. I will never again do an owner update!!! Pure waste of time. We own 2 weeks and if we want more I'll purchase through a realtor not through Starwood.-And if you want to know why PM me.
We never use the Transfer Ferry-the time wasted it ridiculous. We always rent a jeep and drive over. You can also stock up on food at the Costless or supermarket in St Thomas before the ferry ride over.

All in all we always have a lovely time in St John. I would advise if you are traveling here for more than 4 days to book a villa/condo. It works out better and in the long run is less $$ and more relaxing.

Room Tip: pick a villa or condo with a kitchen.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your consistent loyalty to both the Westin St. John and Starwood Hotels and Resorts. As an Owner, your feedback is very valuable to us and we want to do our best to ensure you have a wonderful stay year after year. It sounds as though you look forward to returning to see our staff as much as they look forward to having you, so we truly appreciate that. Many of our associates remember our guests by name and truly look forward to their return. I will share your feedback about Helen May with her Management team so that they can congratulate her directly on a job well done. We appreciate your suggestions for future guests and we’ll see you next year.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Staying at this resort at its ups and downs, but mostly ups. I booked my trip with delta vacations which included our round trip airport transfers, and it also included transfers to St Thomas as many times as we wanted which was nice. My package had a $100 dining credit and breakfast included every morning, I'm super glad I decided to include breakfast every morning. The resort restaurant on the beach was very nice, there were stray kittens with their mom there which some people might find annoying, but I found cute. We went in September which is a slow month so some restaurants and parts of the island were basically closed. We did the snorkel/sail with the people at the hotel, highly recommended. Because it was September we only had about 6 people on the snorkel sail. All of the staff was friendly. We had our room changed in the middle of our stay because of our new hotel neighbors which was a family and they were loud through the walls. The room we were moved to was about the same except it definitely had mold somewhere lurking, but that's kind of expected in such a humid climate. Our private beach area was nice, but when you compare it to the other beaches on the island like Trunk Bay (one of the best in the Caribbean) the hotel's beach looked not so nice. Taxis were always available from our hotel to to other parts of the island, I wouldn't really recommend renting your own vehicle unless you like driving on the other side of the road and going up and down crazy hills.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I was glad to hear that overall, you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Westin St. John. It sounds as though you thoroughly enjoyed our island atmosphere, friendly associates and private beach. We appreciate your suggestions and hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Skokie, Illinois
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Even with construction and changes, the Westin St. John is getting better and better. 13 years of staying here and it gets better every year. It is converting more rooms to time share, but that means a few less people on the beach or at the pool. Both areas are in great shape and the renovations are really wonderful. Staff is getting better every year. The shuttle drivers, front desk staff, restaurant people and everyone you come in contact with is smiling, greeting you warmly and looking to make your stay comfortable.
It is an island. It is the Caribbean. It is not going to be perfect, but small problems tend to be small and all problems get addressed and dealt with. Maybe not with the same speed as in a major city, but they do get taken care of. We cannot wait to go back next year and many years to come

Room Tip: Villas are great
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dfutransky
We truly appreciate your kind words regarding our resort. We are certainly doing our very best to make improvements around property and we thank you for noticing. We really appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinion, especially when it is such a positive one. We look forward to welcoming you back next year, and I know after 13 years of loyalty, our associates will truly be ecstatic to see you. Thanks again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Just checked in. Horrible room with musty smell. Called front desk. No other rooms available. They sent maintenance over to change the AC filter. The filter was beyond disgustingly filthy. Not exactly a good start... Stayed here last year and it was a lot better. I wish we had not bothered to return.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynx505
I hated to hear that your stay got off to a rough start and that you were unhappy with your room accommodations. I hope you have since been moved and that your stay has improved. Please feel free to reach out to us at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com if you wish to discuss your stay in further detail. Thanks for sharing your concerns.
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Westin St. John is in the process of figuring out what it wants to be -- full-service resort or time share property? Agree with previous reviews on hotel room accommodations, which are sub-par for the price. I've stayed in nicer Hilton Garden Inns, than the room we had at this resort. Plumbing fixtures were loose and coming out of the wall; inadequate furniture, a light on the balcony shining in the room all night, all in all a bit shabby. Most important- beware of the hard sell to buy into the Starwood time share program. Concierge Eric thinks he's selling used cars, or maybe saw "Wolf of Wall Street" one too many times - and pressure to hear the presentation on time shares is intense. Took 2 hours of our precious 4 day vacation, after being told we could stay for 45 minutes. Not the case! Compensation in 'sand dollars' that no one on property seems to understand or be very willing to take. With so few hotels/resorts - the Westin has a captive audience for those who want to discover this beautiful, relatively undeveloped island with spectacular beaches.

Room Tip: ask when furnishings were last updated
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BDG618
Many thanks for your review and for letting us know of the challenges you faced while staying with us. We are currently undergoing a $50 million renovation and are doing our best to bring our hotel rooms up to par with our villas. It sounds as though you may have booked one of our Garden View or Ocean View rooms, which had yet to undergo their renovation. We hope to see you in the future and exceed your room expectations. I will pass your feedback regarding the timeshare pitch onto our Starwood Vacation Ownership Management team. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cruz Bay
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!