“One of the worst vacations we've had...”

The Westin St. John Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Roswell, Georgia
“One of the worst vacations we've had...”
Reviewed April 25, 2004

OK, to start, I am a Starwood Gold member...did the Westin St. John's give a rip? Absolutely not But ok, let's just give the SPG Membership thing a rest and talk about the hotel.

I travel 2 or 3 days per week every week and would consider myself a fair and honest judge of hotel properties. This one was one of the worst I have had the misfortune to stay at. The hotel was clearly built (or last updated) in the 80's...and then they left it alone since.

A list of the things that didn't work or were unacceptable:
Telephone (sometimes worked, sometimes not)
High speed internet connection (dead)
3 burnt lamp bulbs
Mirror in the bathroom rattled non-stop
Bathtub had mold/mildew in it
The Heavenly Bed was far from it!

Upon complaint, I was given the traditional "soon come" response from the islands...followed by NO followup. The only way to describe our room is "a cave".

For a Westin, which I consider to be an upper scale hotel chain, this resort is just a notch above a Holiday Inn.

There are a few things I did love however...

The Spa was terrific albiet pricey for what you get
The Tennis courts were 1st class
The property/grounds in general were flawless
Cloe and Bernards (onsite hotel) was great food but the service was SLOW...and we were one of 4 couples in the entire place.

Folks, I'd advice you to NOT consider this property on par with any other Westin's you might have had experiences with...this property is just not indicative of what we've come to know and love about Westins.

If you are OK with paying nearly 300US per night for a Holiday Inn...and are going into it with eyes wide open...then go for it. For my money, it's the Four Seasons on my next visit to St. John's.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Reviewed April 22, 2004

We stayed at the Westin St. John after two stays at the Four Seasons and this hotel is definately not as nice as those.

Our first room smelled and had a dirty bathroom and ceiling. We moved to another building where the room was charming. It opened up right onto the beach. The staff was always friendly and the hotel beach is well designed for children. There are a couple of large jacuzzis on the property which we enjoyed each night. We found that taxi access around the island was easy and reasonable.

When we landed in St. John we took a shuttle bus to the Westin Pier and were then forced to wait two hours for the next shuttle. This was very annoying but not nearly as annoying as our return back to the airport when our luggage arrived an hour after we did causing a close call with our flight.

We ate at the hotel restaurant, Chloe and Bernard and received the worst service ever. Even though our table was available, they made us wait for an hour to be seated and then it was another hour before we received our food. The restaurant was not crowded at the time.

There is a long staircase leading up to the lobby which isn't a problem if you are in good shape but is otherwise annoying. The pool does not have enough chairs and you are out of luck if you don't reserve a chair early in the morning. There are lots of chairs on the beach, though.

If you go to other beaches off the property you may be able to rent a chair but they won't have umbrellas. If you'd like shade, you may want to bring a portable cabana.

Every place we ate on the island was delicious. Specifically, in addition to C&B, we also ate at the Banana Deck and at Paradiso (YUM). I suggest you pack your bathing suit in your carry on since you won't get your luggage right away. Also, if you want to snorkle at Trunk Bay, rent equipment from the hotel since the Trunk Bay concession stand caters to cruises and closes at 3:30.

Philadelphia
Reviewed April 6, 2004

After staying in St Thomas for one night, my husband and I were very excited to travel to St John and stay on what we heard of as a tranquil island. We actually did not take the Westin ferry and instead used the local ferry that ran between St John and Red Hook. It was quite convenient and a short ride later. We quickly hopped into a taxi and were taken to the Westin. Although check-in was at 3:00, we arrived at 12:00pm and were quite surprisingly, taken straight to our room. I have been told at many other hotels to wait till our room was ready, so it was nice to have a room immediately, even though check-in was many hours later. My husband and I were QUITE surprised to be taken to a one-bedroom hillside villa complete with 2 full bathrooms, a full kitchen, and 2-stories. Boy, does it pay to book a room one week in advance. Our room, I believe is originally $900-1000 a night, we only paid $377 and booked straight through the website. It was worth it! We had a beautfiul suite with a view worth a million bucks. After checking in, we went down to the pool and had lunch at Snorkels. A little overpriced, but we were on vacation. The next day we ordered a Uno's pizza from the Deli on-site and that was much more worth it. The pool and beach were clean. The only problem we had was finding beach chairs by the pool. The beach I found to be clean. Everyone was EXTREMELY kind, friendly and helpful. The concierges were very nice and answered all our questions, including making us reservations at restaurants in town. We never got around to having dinner at the resort, but went in town instead and ate at La Tapa and Morgan Mango, both GREAT recommendations from the hotel. The Westin is in a great location where a taxi is always accessible. We never had a problem finding one to take us from town or to town which was great. We ended up renting a dinghy one day and went snorkeling on our own, which was convenient, plus we got great pictures of the island. I really wish we spent more time there. I highly recommend this hotel for all...young couples (like us) and families with children. A well-kept hotel, in a beautiful location, with a friendly and helpful staff to boot!!! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2004
4 Thank mvina
Reviewed March 31, 2004

After a year of planning and executing events for a multi-billion dollar corporation and staying in multiple Starwood properties, my partner and I decided to cash-in a hard-earned 78,750 Starwood Points and experience someplace relaxing. Over the Christmas holidays, we spent eight days at the Westin Resort on St. John.Prior to arrival, we chose to spend the $65 each to have the Westin handle our transfer from St. Thomas to St. John. The Westin handles your luggage from the time you check in at the Westin desk in the St. Thomas airport and delivers your bags directly to your room at the resort on St. John. And, of course, you arrive on St. John directly at the dock at the Westin Resort. In addition, you get unlimited transfers back and forth to St. Thomas during your stay ? that is, if you really want to spend time on St. Thomas. St. John is so beautiful, that you may not want to leave at all.When we checked in at the Westin desk in the airport on St. Thomas, we found that the resort did not recognize our Platinum status with Starwood. After a few awkward moments of trying to get the situation resolved, the person checking us in made us feel like it was a hassle to see if there were any room upgrades that are supposed to be made automatically available to Platinum members, based on availability of course.We boarded the resorts open-air mini-bus and was transported to a local marina where we boarded the Westin boat. The boat, although new, is utilitarian ? so, don?t expect a sleek, 110? yacht such as used by Hayman Island Resort on the Great Barrier Reef of Australia.The voyage from St. Thomas to St. John was very enjoyable. It was a perfect day for the trip ... bright and sunny with just a light chop. We debarked the boat to find a number of resort representatives offering refreshing, cold, wet towels to remove the grime from our day?s travel and glasses of Rum Punch.After a few pleasantries, we were shown to a golf cart and a resort employee gave us a tour of the grounds and then took us to our room. We arrived to find a standard-sized room that smelled of mold and mildew, a bathroom that was so filthy that our feet stuck to the floor when we walked on the tile, a safe that did not work, a toilet that constantly ran, no work desk, and a phone that did not have a working data port.Since this is a vacation resort, I guess I can forgive the fact the room had no desk. But, for those of us who never really get a true vacation, it was a disappointment. Compared to other Westin properties, the room was on the lower end of the luxury scale.Even though we had cashed in enough points to gain us a two-room upgrade, they put us in a ?pool view? room. The building that housed our room certainly was not in the back of the property, however, there were buildings that had the same sized rooms as ours that were between the beach and us. I have no idea how one would gain access to the beach rooms. If we cashed in any more points, we would have been upgraded to one of the suites or villas. But, the suites and villas were in the back of the property and up on the hillside. It was a head scratcher for sure.Problem resolution is not a strong suit with the property management. I contacted the property?s general manager, Mr. Graeme Davis. He referred me to Matt Balcik, ?Rooms Executive?. Although Matt really did try to solve the issues, the only things that got taken care of was the repair of the safe and the phone?s data port. He sent housekeeping to clean the bathroom floor. But, nonetheless, the sticky mess remained and slowly went away as a result of the daily housekeeping duties during the week?s stay.Matt did take the time to show me another room with a ?better view?, but as I explained to him ? once again ? the problem was not the view, it was the stench of mold and mildew that, it seemed, was the bouquet of choice that all rooms offered up to its guests. The room he showed me certainly had a better view, but yet offered the same smell, although a tad less pungent. Since we were already unpacked, we stayed put in our original room and Matt ended up sending someone to attend to the smell. While we were out to dinner, someone masked the smell of mold and mildew by dousing the room with a pungent fragrance of lemon. We arrived back wondering, which was worse! For the duration of our stay, we turned the air conditioning down to 65. It was rather cold, but it reduced the stench of the mold and mildew that ended up overcoming the smell of lemon post haste.We think the problem with the stench comes from the carpet that seemed to absorb the constant humidity. Why any hotel or resort in the Caribbean would choose to have carpet in their rooms is beyond me. A logical choice, to us at least, would be a tile and/or marble floor with throw rugs. But, now I digress!Now that I got some unpleasantness out of the way, let me say a few positive things about the resort. The grounds are beautiful. The grounds crew has done a fabulous job at making the exterior environment very pleasant indeed. Walking through the Westin property is like walking through a botanical garden. There are beautiful flowering plants in every direction. Several tropical birds have been made pets by the property and we saw several Iguanas lumbering through the grounds. It made every stroll through the resort quite intriguing and fun.I?ve seen several reviews on this resort that spoke of the expansive grounds and the need to take a healthy walk wherever you decide to go. We actually found our short walks to be enjoyable. Unless you got one of the rooms on the back of the property, we thought all rooms were relatively close to the most popular amenities of the resort. As well, having the building spread out a bit made the environment feel more open, providing a feeling of freedom.There are a few restaurants on the property. The Snorkels Bar and Grill has a small, but perfect menu that compliments its very casual surroundings. As long as your private parts are covered, you?ll be welcomed at Snorkels. You can eat alfresco at several tables that are between the pool and the beach or you can order directly from the comfort of your lounge chair besides the pool or from the beach. Just flip up the red flag on the back of your lounge chair to notify staff you wish to place an order. What could be easier? The staff is engaging and friendly.The Beach Caf? is a little more formal, but yet very casual. As long as you wear a shirt and sandals, you?re fine. It?s an open-air caf? that serves breakfast and dinner. We had the breakfast buffet several mornings and enjoyed every one of them. It?s very enjoyable eating alfresco while watching the boats in the awakening harbor. I remember seeing reviews from other authors complaining about the price of the buffet. But, we expected food to be a little more expensive on the islands and even more so at the resort. The cost of the breakfast buffet is $20 per person, which is a bit expensive for the offerings, but not out of line with what we expected. Here again, the staff here is wonderful, engaging, and friendly.Chloe & Bernard?s is the ?formal? restaurant on the property ? as formal as your going to get on the Islands that is. Certainly no coat and tie required here! It?s a wonderful environment with excellent cuisine. The night we dined, a local who was singing and playing the guitar entertained the small, well-appointed restaurant with soothing tunes. He was very enjoyable to listen to.We made use of several of the property?s amenities during our stay. I obtained my scuba diver certification through Cruz Bay Water Sports and enjoyed my experience with them immensely. I got to dive a number of interesting reefs while earning the certification. They also rent small dingys, wave runners, and other various, water equipment as well. Great, safe operation.We also rented a 29-foot boat from Nauti-Nymph Boat Rentals for a day (8:30AM to 5:00PM). It?s an excellent way to explore the island chain. We cruised up to the British Virgin Islands, found a remote beach on one of the islands to ?get rid of some of our tan lines?, and snorkeled at the Caves at Norman Island (the absolute best snorkeling on the V.I.?s and highly recommended by the way!). Although, the staff at Nauti-Nymph will tell you to get back to the U.S.V.I. at 3:30 to be able to check in with US Customs, gas up, and return to the Westin by 5:00PM; that?s bullcrap. The Westin is a 15-minute cruise from U.S. Customs and it literally took us 15 minutes to clear customs and gas up the boat. We were back at the Westin by 4:00. I think they told us 3:30 so we would be back in time for them to spiff up the boat for the next day?s rental and go home at 5:00. But, all in all, it was well worth the $390 we spent on rental cost (plus gas and customs costs, of course). But, be careful. If you can?t read nautical charts, DO NOT rent a boat. There are numerous reefs hiding just under the waterline that have taken their fair share of victims.Both Cruz Bay Water Sports and Nauti-Nymph are located right on the Westin Property and very accessible with staffed desks by the Westin dock.In addition to the amenities mentioned above, the harbor where the resort is located is a good location to watch sunsets. They have some large round, trampoline floatys in the water that are fun to romp on. The pool is wonderful. A little crowded, but very enjoyable. Everything in the Mango Deli is way over-priced, but they serve up a great pizza.Unless you plan on absolutely vegging at the resort, we highly recommend renting a 4-wheel drive jeep and exploring the island. The harbor where the resort is located is not good for snorkeling. So, if you want to do some good snorkeling, rent a jeep and go elsewhere (we recommend Cinnamon Bay, Leinster Bay, and Hawkness Bay). Stay away from the touristy Trunk Bay. It?s crowded and very over-rated.You can also see plenty of the island if you rent the jeep. We particularly recommend ?Bordeaux Mountain Road? (US108) ? but, only if you have a 4-wheel drive. If not, don?t bother ? you won?t make it! The road, which is really a two-wheel dirt path, will put you atop a 1300 foot mountain from which you can view the entire chain of Virgin Islands ? U.S. and British. It?s a stunning view for sure and where we obtained the best pictures of our vacation.Oh-oh, I?m digressing again ? back to the resort!Apart from the restaurant staff that is wonderful and engaging, the friendliness of the staff is hit and miss. The concierge staff is useless. They didn?t seem to know --------- about the island. I ended up educating them on a couple subjects. And, the front desk staff, in particular, needs big attitude adjustments. We got the feeling that we disturbed them. We wanted to ship a box that contained our snorkeling equipment back home and it became a huge issue with the resort. I ship boxes from most of the hotels and resorts that I stay at on a yearly basis and never had encountered a similar situation. Certainly, we were not the only guests who wished to take advantage of the resort?s shipping and receiving department! It just made us scratch our heads (again) and wonder what the big deal really was! They were also unable to give us any tracking numbers for the shipment which didn?t provide us a secure feeling.When it came time to check out of the resort, they again did not recognize our Platinum status. Platinum members are supposed to receive a late, 4:00PM checkout, if accommodations allow. Even though our return transfer wasn?t scheduled until 3 o?clock in the afternoon, they demanded that we vacate our room at the standard checkout time of 11:00AM, all without offering any explanation. We weren?t particularly thrilled about sweating around the pool for 4-hours waiting for our transfer back to St. Thomas and the subsequent flight to our next destination, Puerto Rico. And, I wasn?t particularly thrilled with the front desk agent?s attitude, so, another call to management was made to get the issue cleared up.They also had a couple of questionable charges on our bill. After some discussion, the $96.05 (per day) ?SPG Award? fees were removed. We never did find out what those fees were supposed to represent. It seemed like they were attempting to charge us for using our Starwood points. Hmmm ?The resort also charged a $12.00 ?Resort Fee? (per day). It was explained to me that the fee covers the resorts amenities, such as the fitness club. However, Platinum members are supposed to have access to Starwood fitness facilities for free. But, I guess the resort was just being consistent in not recognizing our Platinum status! I briefly objected to the fee, but the rude representative at the front desk didn?t budge. And, I didn?t press the matter as I already felt tired from being browbeaten by the front desk staff. In all fairness, I did check the Starwood website upon arrival back home and did find that a ?$15.00 Resort Fee? was listed in the fine print. However, this fee seems to conflict with some benefits of the Platinum Starwood Program. And, I didn?t reserve the room on the website ? I booked our stay via telephone through Starwood?s Preferred Guest Program and was told nothing about these extra fees. Even the confirmation e-mail that we received from Starwood made no mention of these extra fees. Fees like this bug the heck out of me ? it?s just a way of sucking more cash out of guests while calling it something that sounds palatable. It would be more palatable to me if they would just call it for what it really is ? an ?up-sale?!All in all, the resort is decent. Although, I must say that it is the worst managed Westin property that I?ve stayed at. One thing is for sure ... I will never engage this property to execute a business event ... hell, it'd be a disaster! I never did see the General Manager ? which is kind of strange, considering we were there for eight days. All the other resorts I?ve stayed at, the general manager had personally engaged the guests at some point during their stay ? at least the preferred guests. But, not here. Hmmm ? to busy handling complaints, I guess.By the way, let me get a plug in here for the Westin Grand Bohemian in Orlando, Florida. If you want to stay at a unique hotel in downtown Orlando that is run by excellent management, look no further! But, that?s another article!Bottom Line: The Westin Resort on St. John is going to be a wonderful vacation like no other for those people who seldom travel and/or are used to staying at Holiday Inns. But, for the well-seasoned, frequent traveler, this particular property will be a disappointment. That being said, there are no other properties on St. John that are better ? perhaps Caneel Bay ? but, that is up for debate as well.If you?re going to St. John and want a lot of amenities, head for the Westin. But, be prepared for the lack of service that seems to be indicative of the Islands. It?s no wonder why the Virgin Islands are no longer the destination of choice for the jet setters. And, it seems the residents of the Islands are unequivocally bitter over that fact!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 29, 2004

Our family had a great time at the Westin for Spring Break where we stayed for 7 nights from March 19 - March 26. Our daughters (10 & 13) had a wonderful time swimming in the huge pool, the smaller pool near our villa and the fantastic beaches on St. John.

The Ferry Ride was a snap (be sure to go to the Westin Counter at the airport in St.Thomas after you get your bags). Also note that the Ferry Trip charge is $70 rdtrp for adults and $50 for children IF you did not get that included when you made your reservations!

Checkin was very smooth. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a studio villa which is a bit of a walk from the beach area. But the walk is beautiful, as are the grounds. If walking is a bother, shuttles are available to take you anywhere on the property for no charge from any of the numerous "Iguana Stops". The room was very clean and very comfortable. However, a couple of pieces of furniture could use updating.

We found the Westin food at the Beach Cafe for breakfast (we used the buffet) and Snorkels for lunch to be very good. Expensive yes -- but not unexpectedly so. Dinner was better "in Town" (Cruz Bay) where we enjoyed The Fish Trap, La Tapa and The Lime Inn. On the Coral Bay side of the island we had a great lunch at Skinny Legs. The 4 of us probably averaged $200 each day for meals.

The beaches are great! We rented a car for the week and were able to visit most of the beaches. T Our favorites were Salt Pond, Trunk Bay (can get crowded) and Cinnamon Bay. Driving on the narrow steep roads was interesting but not a problem. The views along the way are just beautiful.

The Fitness Center is very well equiped and clean. We enjoyed using that daily. Our girls had their hair braided in Cruz Bay but we saw it offered on the hotel grounds too.

Checkout was smooth and convenient, no unexpected billings. The return Ferry Trip to St. Thomas was a breeze.

Our only complaints for the trip would be slow service everywhere (but it is the Islands Mon!) and high speed internet access for e-mails was not available in the villas. It is available in the hotel rooms though.

We will return for sure!

West Chester, PA
Reviewed March 27, 2004

My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary in January, 2004 at the Westin, St.John. We loved the ferry ride over to the resort and the wonderful welcome there! We found the staff eager to please and very helpful. The huge pool area is beautiful and relaxing. The yellow foam matts that were provided to "float" were terrific. We rented a jeep at the Westin for a day and toured the entire island. It is not necesary to rent a vehicle to enjoy the wonderful beaches that the island has to offer, however. The taxis are very inexpensive and go to all the major beaches and in to Cruz Bay if you have a dinner reservation. Every restaurant on St. John is better than the next. We only had two minor complaints the whole visit. The hot tubs weren't hot while we were there (they were fixed the last day), and the food at one of the restaurants was only average. While the beach was not so quiet, we thought it was clean and well-staffed. We did enjoy going out to more secluded beaches to snorkel during the day. The concierge was extremely helpful in assisting us to plan our time on the island. We would go back in a heartbeat.

1 Thank MegBK
Reviewed March 18, 2004

A few years ago we spent a week at the Westin resort,and would not return for the following reasons...poolside chairs were taken up by the locals and their families(we actually identified a waitress and bartender from town.)...the beautiful grounds were sprayed with insecticides in close proximity to sunbathers(they were in protective gear,and we were in swim suits)...I was quite surprised that the beach on the property was not cleaned from debris that comes ashore.All the other beaches on the island were pristine...while the staff was very friendly,they didn't honor any requests for the necessary bedding that we needed for our room.The extra bed for our daughter came after three requests,and at 10:00p.m. a shredded blanket arrived ! And did I tell you how bad the food was?

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!