“Repeat visitor to Westin St. John (not timeshare owner)”

The Westin St. John Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Near Future
“Repeat visitor to Westin St. John (not timeshare owner)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I have been to this resort many times over the years. We usually stay here using Starwood points. This resort has the best landscaping of any resort in St. John and is comparable in beauty to the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas. Some of the hotel rooms are in need of complete refurbishment and they will be going through a multi-million dollar project starting in August 2013. They will do these in sections so they can remain open. This resort has the best pool in all of the Virgin Islands in my opinion. We love that it is warm and has palm tree islands to look up to when floating on the resort's pool floats. It also features a beautiful formal style waterfall you can go under or place your neck and back under to get a bit of a nice waterfall neck massage. Over the years this property has become more and more of a timeshare property with many children. We usually visit in the summer when it's not as busy. Wintertime is very busy throughout the Virgin Islands because people are escaping the terribly cold winters up north.

The beach is well maintained and you won't find cruise ship people crowding the place since there's no cruise ship port on St. John, thank God. The water of Great Cruz Bay, near the beach, isn't a great place to snorkel so don't expect it. It is a beautiful bay with sail boats and a nice white sand beach lined with tall palm trees and a nice place to relax.

We love the breakfast options here and the staff has always been nice to us. We adapt well to 'island time'. In fact, we love slowing down and getting away from our hectic lifestyle in the States. Please folks, be nice to the staff and they'll be just fine toward you. We've never experienced any staff problems here, but we also smile and greet people in a friendly manner. Americans can come across very demanding and we avoid that kind of temperament when we travel. You must learn to understand that in St. John, the people are very friendly but they don't intrude upon you. It's not that they are shy. Make an effort to smile and greet them and they will respond in kind.

The fitness room is very good as well as the Mango Deli where you can get snakes, awesome sandwiches and even ice cream and other desserts.

One thing that has seemed to always be a problem is the so-called hot tub near the pool. Every time I'm there the hot tub isn't working properly. It is a lukewarm tub with slightly flowing water and more of a kiddie pool because they continue to allow children under 16 into the 'hot' tub if they are with a parent. When I inquire why it's not hot I get a variety of reasons. Sometimes they say they can't raise the temperature much because it's not healthy for growing children. My answer is don't allow anyone in the 'hot' tub if they are under 16. This is NOT a kiddie pool, or is it? Then, when I would inquire about the lack of jet flow they say they ordered the part and it will be in next week. Of course, I won't be here the next week. How many years have they been waiting for parts to arrive "next week"? So, my friendly suggestion is to make this a real hot tub. Kids don't need to relax stiff muscles like some of us adults. And, I don't care that it's 90 degrees outside during the day, I want an actual hot tub so I can utilize it in the morning and evenings after a swim in the cooler pool or after working out. And, if you have to replace the entire pump in order to get some forceful water/air flow through the jets please do. If these things won't be done then don't call it a hot tub. Just call it a lukewarm kiddie pool with slightly flowing water. I'll be here again next week (July 9) for a week and I'll report on here later with a fuller review and give everyone an update on the 'hot' tub.
We do look forward to our stay and don’t get me wrong about my suggestions about the hot tub, I do like the Westin St. John Resort and hope they won’t turn too much of it into a timeshare resort. Please keep some of the ocean view buildings as hotel rooms. We used to love staying in the Flamboyant Building which is higher up and had the best view, but that was turned into timeshare units. We used to enjoy the longer walk to that building and the great views from the upper floor rooms. There are only two buildings left in that area which are still hotel rooms. Please don’t make those timeshare units. Make some of the pool side units into timeshares if you need to since families like those more since they like to be close to the pool with their kids.

Room Tip: Couples would probably prefer beachfront or oceanview rooms, but not the pool view rooms which are m...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We also appreciate your suggestions regarding our hot tub and I will pass those along to our Engineering Team so that they can address the issues of the jets and temperature of the water. On behalf of the staff here at The Westin St. John, we all enjoyed reading your review and appreciate your understanding regarding the culture of our little island. Again, thank you for your details and suggestions and we hope your current stay is going just as well as the last.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Carmel Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

This place was amazing. The it bomb. The cake and eating it too. The icing on that cake...

If you want a sit by the pool bar and swim in either the ocean or pool for four hours a day kinda vacation...here you go. You know...the resort kind. We did activities off their "menu" and the rest of the time we sat by the pool.

Rent a dinghy and go out to water lemon bay. The snorkling is amazing and safe enough for our 7 year old.

Do the jet ski tour....they are good and fast if you want...slow you down and show you how to clear the water so you can see the bottom...awesome.

If you have the skill take out Hobee Cat in the bay...magical.

And, DO not miss the sunset champagne cruz...

That is all we had time for. I hear soggy bottom bar is amazing and so is the Westin snorkle ride where after snorkling the bar is open on board.

The staff was great. Took a bit of cajoling but I got to stay in the same room all 6 days as a platinum. They first charged me 150$ a night for the upgrade from points to a one bedroom then nothing. I loved the one bedroom. Didnt see the villas.

I do hear this property is going mainly to ownership which will, may, change the dynamic. Some of the wait staff was being let go because of this. Apparently the owners think that because you own a condo you actually want to only cook in it all the time.

Going into town was fun but its an adventure. I wasnt up for adventure this trip so I went to Morgans Mango for dinner and loved it. The ceviche rocks!

I will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review and kind words regarding our beautiful resort. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your room accommodations, available activities, spacious pool and helpful associates. I was also glad that you and your family were able to venture off property to enjoy the breathtaking snorkeling at Waterlemon Bay and enjoy the dining options in Cruz Bay. Please know that are not currently converting our hotel rooms to villas. We do have a renovation planned that will begin in August 2013 and extend until Spring of 2014. This renovation includes our Poolside and Beachfront rooms, but these rooms will remain as hotel rooms. We hope to welcome you back so that you are able to see our improvements firsthand. Thank you again for your review.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We rented a villa at this resort for a week. While grounds at the resort are very well kept, not so much for the inside of the hillside villas. After being moved twice during our stay due to mold in the first villa and old stained furniture / rugs in the second villa, we had used 4 days of our vacation time to "manage" the resort's management. The management was absolutely rude and arrogant about our complaints, so you can imagine the overall attitude of the rest of the staff at this so called resort. After speaking with some of the other renters, we realized that this was the norm here and we were not a one-off. Options are limited on St. John, but go for Caneel Bay resort if you want to stay. Westin/Starwood needs to really take a look at this place and make some changes !! hope this review saves at least someone else from making same mistake.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kasey R
I was disappointed to hear of your experience regarding your room accommodations and having to move rooms. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were forced to be concerned with moving villas and also receiving unacceptable Customer Service from our associates. Please reach out to us at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com if you wish to discuss your stay in further detail. I will speak with my Management Team in an effort to ensure that we are providing each and every guest with a renewing stay. We thank you for your feedback and hope to welcome you back in the future so that we can provide you with a true Westin experience.
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

What a paradise. We just had the time of our life visiting here. Beautiful swimming pool and pool bar, serving painkillers and other drinks with ambrellas...hehe.
The room was great; and the food was fantastic.

Room Tip: Pick the villas...they have their own private swimmingpool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thanks so much for your short, yet very sweet review. We look forward to your return – the umbrella drinks will be patiently waiting.
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I gave this resort a low grade in March, 2013, when I was worried about the reservation process. I had booked and paid for a villa rental and then was bombarded with confusing email about the reservation.
Long story short: the reservation was accurate and the hotel was great. I was very pleased with my hilltop 'villa' - a nice two-story townhouse with excellent views. The resort was clean and the staff was very nice. The little carts that you can summon for transport were fast and efficient.
The restaurant was good, B+. (I mean the poolside café.) It was a nice touch that they offer cups and cold water all day, so you don't have to buy water bottles.
The tennis courts were well-groomed and small touches like ping pong tables under shade were welcome.
The poolside ladies room is in desperate need of a row of hooks on the walls, and maybe in the stalls as well. I had to set down beach bags on the floor, yuk. The floor is clean but some hooks - maybe a coat rack for clothes - are needed.
The lobby PCs are free and convenient.
I would return to this resort if I wanted St. John again. I liked St. Thomas better, since I don't dive, and it was easier to get to.
Still, the atmosphere of this resort is relaxed, a fun mix of people enjoying a clean beach, excellent pool and spacious grounds that are carefully tended.
It's expensive but you get a lot for your money.

Room Tip: spring for the villas, a well-outfitted townhouse that is quiet, private and roomy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Eat_Swim_Read
Thank you very much for giving us a second chance and especially for posting another review regarding The Westin St. John. I was so pleased to hear that despite your initial reservation regarding your stay, everything turned out great and you were able to enjoy a relaxing and rejuvenating stay with us. Again, thank you very much for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is our third time at the Westin and we had a fabulous time. It is a great resort in St. John for families. Before kids we stayed at Gallows Point, which is absolutely lovely, but this is much more kid friendly. The pool is gorgeous and it's great to have a beach right on sight. The beach is not terrific and definitely not for snorkeling, but a good place for the kids to run around. We rented a car and drove to good beaches for snorkeling every day. The food at the Mango Deli is quite good and the Beach Bar and Cafe has fabulous views if only okay food. Our three bedroom villa was extremely spacious, comfortable and the pool was gorgeous. Our only complaint, and this is true each year, is the sometimes unfriendly service. MOST of the Westin staff is helpful and pleasant but we've come to expect to run into one or two staff members a day who find it difficult to say hello, thank you, please or smile. Oddly enough these tend to be people working in the customer service area, such as waitressing or at the desk. If they were a bit friendlier they would receive fabulous tips as we were in paradise and in a great mood. Aside from that, though, we experienced a lot of good service. The scuba diving with Cruz Bay Watersports (on sight) was terrific and the Kids Club staff made my kids happy. Also, a terrific idea they have implemented since we were last there is the Freecycle-where you can leave anything you used that may be of use to upcoming visitor. We went there and used sand toys for the week then left those plus two swim vests my daughters grew out of. We were sad to leave!

1 Thank lea743
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for choosing The Westin St. John for your recent family vacation. We pride ourselves on being a family-friendly resort, so we thank you for bringing your children and for your details regarding activities for kids. While it sounds as though you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, I want to apologize for the sporadic Customer Service you received. We want our guests to feel that all of our associates are friendly and willing to help, not just most, so I will continue to work on improving our Service here at The Westin. Thank you again for posting a review. We too were sad to see you go, so we hope to see you again very soon.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My family of 4 stayed here in June 2013 and had a fantastic time. The Westin staff meet you at the airport, transfer you to the ferry and provide a pleasant ferry ride to their dock on the property. The property is well maintained and the pool is extremely kid friendly - a small shallow area that is incorporated into the main pool for kids and the rest is 4+ feet deep. Several restaurants with decent food and great villas from hotel rooms to 3 bedroom units.

we found staff to be very friendly at the restaurants, main lobby, spa and pool area - all professional and courteous.

Room Tip: Villas are more up to date than pool side hotel rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for posting it on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you and your family of four enjoyed your stay last month. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back in the future so that we can provide you with another refreshing stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cruz Bay
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!