“Beautiful Location, Tired Hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Westin St. John Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
West Des Moines, Iowa, United States
“Beautiful Location, Tired Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

As 5 Star elite members of Starwood, we have stayed in many locations around the Caribbean, Mexico and the mainland. This is a truly beautiful island with a number of great beaches for snorkeling and swimming. Unfortunately, things drop off rather precipitously thereafter.

The hotel complex is spread out with golf carts shuttling guests around from their rooms to the beach, lobby, entrance of the complex to go food shopping. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the timing of the shuttles so be prepared to do some walking.

The rooms are acceptable; however, there are some minor annoyances that should not be present in a resort of this quality. Some examples are:

- TV's have no HDMI plugs in the back to hook up personal entertainment. And, the DVD players that are in the rooms only play DVD's, not Blu-rays so make sure that if you are taking some night time movies (or TV Series as we did), they are only in DVD format.

- For the egregious price of meals, the food is at best mediocre. You are far better off buying breakfast stuff for the room, then eating other meals in town where there are a number of very good restaurants at reasonable prices.

- In our experience, the Westin farms out some of its services like the beach activities. Thus, if you run into problems with the beach staff/services, do not expect the Westin to step in to support the guest.

- While I noticed some complaints about the staff, our experience was actually very positive. Certain members of the staff clearly go out of their way to ensure you are having a pleasant stay. Occasionally, there was the "Walking Dead" individual, but they were the minority.

As someone else already said, nice experience, but can scratch this from the bucket list and will not return.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. As Five Star Elite Members, your feedback is very important to us and I was most disappointed that your recent stay did not exceed your expectations. Please be assured that our shuttle service is offered complimentary and that while there is no specific schedule, you are able to call Service Express at any time to request a shuttle. I will share your feedback regarding the televisions and DVD players with our IT department, so hopefully they will be able to implement some updates in the near future to accommodate our guest's needs. I was delighted to hear that your experience with our staff was a positive one and that you felt as though they went out of their to ensure your satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback. Without it, I am oftentimes unaware of areas that need improvement. We hope you will return in the future so that we can change your mind about The Westin St. John and provide you with a relaxing stay that leaves you feeling refreshed and revitalized.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We are Starwood Preferred account holders and chose the Westin because we wanted a fitness center (this is one of the only resorts with a true "fitness center") and good restaurants. For the price we found this resort to be disappointing. I had heard so many great things about St. John and on day two were trying to figure out what we had to do to make it a better experience. (thank you Trip Advisor friends!)

First, you have to rent a car. We were going to take a taxi everywhere at the recommendation of a friend because you are right next to town and not far from several beaches. This island is gorgeous, and there is no way you will experience it without a vehicle. The rental car company is right on property so it is easy to do and driving on the left side is no big deal here. You have to drive SLOW given all of the terrain. The cabs are open-air trucks that carry about 15 people. You are often times waiting on people and dealing with obnoxious tourists so it was nice to go out on our own.

You have to get away to experience the beaches. Often times you park, hike to a great beach, and experience some of the best snorkeling I have ever done. It is common to find turtles, sting rays, and yes we even saw baby sharks. Visit the St. John forum on TA to get all of the latest tips on what to do on the island. Make sure you take a day to visit Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, or Virgin Gorda BVI.

The Westin sits on a beautiful bay, the grounds are very nice, but this is not the place you want to be all day long. We did not stay at this beach or pool once. It was a place to rest our heads at night, and for the price and our very outdated room it was not worth the price AT ALL. They need to update the standard rooms. The beach restaurant for breakfast was decent, but I agree that the service was not good. Some posters were right that it is apparent that the staff do not like tourists. That being said, after seeing some guests at this property, they are used to being treated poorly and once they discover that you are nice and hospitable they can be just fine. And yes, the Westin does not foster loyalty. One staff member was giving us the low-down on where else to stay.

It is clear this is the place to stay for families. We were without our kids, and if I do it again I definitely found other places we will stay. I would NOT recommend this resort to honeymooners or couples trying to get away to relax. I have typed up a separate document with suggestions on restaurants, other resorts, and favorites beaches. Feel free to email me offline, and I would be glad to send.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jdubkc1
Thank you for your detailed review and for sharing your opinions with future potential guests. We appreciate you choosing The Westin St. John for your recent vacation, and although you found the resort to be a disappointing value, it sounds as though you enjoyed many of our amenities and the unparalleled beauty of St. John. Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions. We are currently evaluating future renovations so we hope to welcome you back to a new and updated room accommodation next time you are with us. Thank you again.
Tuxedo Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

This place has all the ingredients of a great place to stay. Amazing beach, beautiful grounds and pool, but somehow it was lacking. I couldn't relax here. The restaurants are very pricey and we had our tuna catch cooked up ($20 each) but they overcooked it and served it with pretty bland sides. If you smoke, look out as there is one smoking area well away from most of the facilities and it is a pain to go there. The staff in person are friendly but on the phone calling reception, they are pretty unhelpful. We got the (extortionately priced) private transfer from the airport and back via the ferry which was great however due to the timing of our flight we had to use their 9am ferry and upon drop off had to be at the airport for several hours. When you arrive by the ferry the facilities are not explained so you have to work out for yourself where everything is. A pool bar would have been good. The rooms were very nice. We didn't get our free upgrade (it is subject to availability although I found it hard to believe it was that full when we stayed). Overall OK but we wouldn't go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank soulbyte
Thanks for your feedback and for posting it on Trip Advisor. While I was glad to hear that you found our private beach, beautiful grounds and spacious pool to exceed your expectations, I was disappointed to learn that you felt as though something was lacking and that you were unable to relax. Providing you with a relaxing vacation is our number one goal, and I hated to hear that you were distracted from that by the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Again, we appreciate your feedback and are sincerely sorry that your stay did not exceed your expectations. We hope you will return to the Westin St. John so that we can provide you with a stay that leaves you feeling inspired and rejuvenated.
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

While visiting St. John my wife and I usually have many meals at the Westin whether we're going to their fine dining restaurant or just for the deli for some snacks. These places have always been open to the public to our knowledge. Upon our latest visit a security guard (Chris we later found out was his name) approached us both times we tried to enter the property. He was rude and verbally aggressive to both my wife and myself, and after our second repeat encounter with him, we opted to not return to the Westin. We'll happily take our business elsewhere after being made to feel so unwelcome at the Westin. As a result I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. As Eve B said, there are many great places on St. John, the Westin's reputation has not made them one of them unfortunately.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Casey R
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, regardless of the fact that you were not a guest at our resort. I’d like to apologize for the way in which our Security staff approached and spoke to you regarding your reason for being on-property. The Westin St. John is unfortunately not a public resort. Although specific and limited use of our restaurants is allowed by outside patrons, please understand that our Security personnel does their best to ensure that patrons are in fact planning to only dine with us, not utilize any other amenities available exclusively for our guests. Guests staying with us are charged a daily $40 resort fee, which includes their right to enjoy our pool, beach chairs, umbrellas, etc., and we do our best to ensure that non-guests are not utilizing these amenities. While our Security Officer’s encounter with you seems to have been handled inappropriately, I believe he was simply doing his best to ensure our guests safety. I hope this helps to explain our policy regarding the public use of our facilities. If you should have any questions, please reach out to us at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com and we’d happy to explain in further detail. Thank you again for sharing this feedback. I will speak with the Security Officer and ensure that future patrons are approached in a friendly and non-accusatory manner. We hope to have you as a guest in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

It is extremely difficult for SVO's to book in St John, at least that is what I'm told due to the popularity of the property. So imagine my family's excitement when we were successful the very first time due to a last minute cancellation. Our enthusiasm. Was quickly quenched once we arrived only to find that our bug infested hilltop villa was a hike from the beach, and the pool near the villa was largely unattended. Adding to the disappointment was the prices of eating on the resort. I get that it's vacation, I even get that it's remote location, but $20 for a common cheeseburger is a bit ridiculous. Further I noticed that each day charges were being applied to my credit card (hold charges). When I disputed some of the poolside bar charges, I was asked to produce receipts. Well one, I noticed that more than half the time I wasn't being given a copy of the receipts when charging to the room, and two the receipts I was given were barely legible. I love St John for the snorkeling, beaches, and water sports, but I doubt very seriously if I would ever go back and spend any amount of time there. There are just too many vacation options that offer greater value available these days.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Darryl M
We appreciate your thoughts and thank you for posting a review regarding your recent stay at The Westin St. John. I was frustrated to learn that your initial ecstatic reaction to booking with us was marred by a lack in excellence upon arrival to our beautiful island. I want to apologize for the abundance of insects, the fact that your villa was too far from the pool and beach, and that you found the value of our dining options to be underwhelming. Please reach out to us at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com if the hold charges are still a concern to you and we will have Accounting look into this for you. Thank you again for sharing your review and we hope to welcome you back to the Westin St. John so you can see our improvements firsthand.
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am willing to bet a dollar has not been invested in these rooms in 15 years. The overall property is fine, but the rooms are awful. The high end restaurant is actually quite good, but only open 5 nights a week. The rest of the food is expensive even for resort standards and terrible. The service outside of the high end restaurant is bad. They are downright rude in the deli. My biggest issue was after the ferry a westin employee ushered me in to a cab that he got in too. Turns out the cab driver was his father and they kept my family in the cab for 90 minutes in st thomas while they ran personal errands. My wife and daughter were horrified and when I expressed my displeasure the driver got more aggressive. We had no idea where we were or when we were getting dropped off. I trusted the westin employee Jarvis and the trust was betrayed. I left Mike the GM who is quick to respond on here a voice mail expressing concern and no call back. I plan to follow up with his boss this week.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kent0124
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. First off, I want to apologize for the multiple inconveniences that arose during your stay, and especially for the lack of management follow up and resolution. Unfortunately, our Voice of the Customer system was experiencing technical difficulties during the duration of your stay, so your voicemail was not received until after you departed. Regardless, your concerns should have been responded to and addressed before your departure, and for that I sincerely apologize. I’d like to assure you that we have in fact refreshed many of our rooms in recent years and unfortunately, must wait for a complete overhaul until Starwood proceeds with this rather large endeavor. I sincerely apologize that you found your room accommodation to be awful and the Customer Service apathetic. Please feel free to reach out to us to 01098.guestrelations@westin.com if you wish to discuss your stay in further detail. Thank you for your review and we hope you will consider returning to the Westin St. John so that we can provide you with a true relaxing and rejuvenating Westin experience.
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We've had many vacations to St Thomas, but this was our first stay (not trip or visit) to St. John. This was our first stay at a Westin resort. The resort grounds are beautifully manicured. The staff was friendly and welcoming upon arrival. Our room was spacious and the bed was comfortable.

If you want a chair at the pool, you have to put towels out really early.

The food at Snorkels is ok, not great. It is pricey, but everything on the island is pricey. A gallon of milk is more than $9.00. The service could be more attentive and you had to allow an hour for lunch. You're on vacation, so relax. If you've been to the USVI before, you know this going in.

The concierge staff is fantastic. They will set you up for dinners, excursions or tours and take as long as needed to get it done; their patience is Saint-like and they do it with a smile.

We enjoyed our time at the Westin, but if you know that the Westin St John experience is an "island" experience different from the mainland US, you'll enjoy it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. How refreshing it was to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your first stay on St. John and at The Westin. We hope we have converted you to return to St. John for many years in the future. I will pass your feedback regarding the Concierge desk onto them, as they will be delighted to know they enhanced your visit and made your stay that much more relaxing. Thank you for your “island time” consideration and understanding. We truly thank you and can’t wait to welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cruz Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 5 in Cruz Bay
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!