“Typical Westin”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ithaca, New York, United States
“Typical Westin”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights last week, using Starpoints. Even though we used points, our stay was not "free". They have a $40/night resort fee, which is certainly the highest I've ever seen anywhere. This apparently includes free (sloooooow) internet, parking non-motorized water sports, tennis court, fitness center, shuttle, pool, etc. Even Platinum status didn't get this fee waived (we didn't use anything other than internet and parking), but it did get us free continental breakfast each day (which is normally $20/person for pastries and coffee). So it was quite expensive, but maybe worth it if you're there long enough to really use all of the facilities and services.

Our poolside king room was very nice. It was quiet, dry, and nicely climate controlled, with good facilities and of course an amazing bed. However, it really could have been a Westin anywhere - the sand, parrots, and I think the palm trees, were even imported from Puerto Rico. They have a car rental facility on site, which is convenient, since visitors definitely should explore the safe island. The staff was friendly, although quite stiff and formal, with the exception of our porters, who were extremely chatty. Do watch out for the golf carts at all times - they drive fast and without much regard for guests walking down the paths.

So overall this is a very nice (and expensive) hotel, with great services and facilities, but not much St John personality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Many thanks for your review and for leaving it on Trip Advisor. As a Platinum SPG member, your feedback is very important to us. While it sounds as though a few concerns arose during your stay, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your Poolside room accommodations, the island fee of our resort, our friendly associates, and on-site car rental service. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Pa
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at the Hillside Villas through our Starwood Timeshare for 1 week, Bldg 31. We used the Westin Ferry for our transportation, pricey but it worked for our flight times, probably will not use next time due to price only. All of the staff we encountered were friendly, helpful, and pleasant. Neil was our guy who brought us to our room and also picked us up a few times, great guy. Teresa Wine our concierge was the best, she was so knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful, felt like we knew her for along time. Our timeshare was clean, comfortable, everything that we have to come expect from a Starwood timeshare property. All the staff we came in contact with were great. Damien from the timeshare sales was great, he was low key which is one of the reasons we probably purchased.We then stayed at the hotel for one night, Bldg 11, we had an ocean front room and we were pleased to find our room was ready when we checked out of our villa and it was clean, no mold or stains as some others have found. We enjoyed our comfortable furniture on both rooms balconies, loved the sunset from our hotel room. We rented a jeep for the week,a must and thank you to everyone on TA for recommending Conrad Sutton, good price, no problems toured the island and the many beaches, encountered nothing but welcoming friendly people throughout our trip, we loved it and plan on returning several more times. Resturant reviews to follow

Room Tip: If staying in the hotel, ocean front room was really nice, enjoyed the view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. It sounds as though you and your family enjoyed your stay, including your villa, ferry transfer, and our helpful and friendly staff. I will certainly let Neil, Teresa, and Damien know that they assisted you so well and they will be so pleased to learn that they enhanced your stay. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you many more times in the future.
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed January 19, 2013

After reading some negative comments on TA, we were alittle nervous about our first time staying at the Westin. We stayed Jan 4-18 in a 2 bedroom Bay Villa in building 25. Our villa was lovely, and the staff was pleasant. The only time we encountered unpleasantness was when we went to the counter to have our room keys re-activated because they stopped working and the gal at the counter was rude to us.
The golf carts were excellent in helping transport us to and from the parking lot when we had lots to carry, such as groceries, and luggage.
We enjoyed kayaking, playing tennis, and swimming at the pool at the resort on our down time. Most of our time, we were away from the resort and took advantage of snorkeling at the beaches.
We shopped at the grocery store closest to the Westin. We found their prices to be cheaper than the other places on St. John.
The resort is beautiful, you won't regret your stay at the Westin. It's a lovely place and we are looking forward to our next stay in 2014 :)

Room Tip: The villas are excellent, they have full kitchens :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We too look forward to your next stay in 2014 and thank you very much for your review and details regarding your stay. I want to apologize for the Customer Service you received from an associate at the Front Desk. I will speak with our Front Office Manager and ensure that our staff continues to be friendly and helpful in order to accommodate our guests. Thank you again and I was very glad to hear you enjoyed so many amenities of our resort. We will see you again soon.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Loved the Westin St. John , travelled here from jan 2 to jan 11 th. I loved the tranquility of this resort waking up every morning to sit on the deck with a beautiful view. Finished the day with a glass of wine to watch the sunset. Our accommodation was a 2 bedroom villa with in hillside. We bought groceries at the beginning of our stay as my 2 teenagers eat all the time! It would have been nice to have a full oven in the unit instead of just a microwave and cooktop - but BBQ's were readily available so we made good use of them. We had a great meal at Prime steak located at the Westin. Our waiter Warren was exceptional and I would highly recommend trying this restaurant during your stay. Other highlights of our trip included the catamaran trip to Jost St Dyke in the BVI and a drive around the island to enjoy the great views and beaches! Make sure to stop by Miss Lucy's for lunch and more great views. I did not want to leave! A definite yes for a return visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your great review. We appreciate your feedback and love nothing more than to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations and that you didn’t want to leave. I will share your feedback with Warren, and he will be delighted to know he enhanced your dining experience at Cruz Bay Prime. We look forward to welcoming you back for that return visit! Thank you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I spent the first half of our honeymoon at the Westin in St. John. Getting there we flew into St. Thomas and then took a cab from Charlotte Amelie to Red Hook where we grabbed a ferry to Cruz Bay and then took a cab to the Westin. When we booked our trip we wanted to use the Westin ferry service even though it was a little expensive, but since it was our first time to USVI we didn't know what to expect. Unfortunately their ferry times and our flight time did not match up so we ended up just taking the taxi and ferry route which wasn't bad at all and would probably do it again next time we come to St. John.
When we arrived at the hotel we were brought to building 23.The resort is so big that we were shuttled there in a golf cart with our luggage which was nice. Just to be clear we wanted an oceanview room which I believe was the second tier room in this resort (I think they called it a Deluxe Room). In the beginning I loved how quiet and secluded this building was from the rest of the resort, but that is where our love story ended with this room. The room itself was pretty big, but it smelled very musty, the chairs in the room had stains on them. The curtains even had stains on them (how do curtains get stained??). The bathroom looked old and gross: soap scum on the grout between the tiles and the counter was old and cracked. The lamps in the room were also broken. We were extremely disappointed. When I called asking to switch rooms I was told they were sold out and to check back tomorrow. Well later on that evening we decided to walk up to the front desk and see if there was anything that could be done. The woman at the front desk was super nice and I completely understand the position they are in. It was an awkward conversation for both of us. She told me that there wasn't another room available in our category, but there was one in the next category in a better location for an extra per night charge. We went to go see the room, because at this point I didn't care about location I just wanted a nice clean room that I actually felt comfortable sleeping in. When we went to the other room it was 100x better. There was zero musty smell and more importantly it was clean.
The rest of the stay was very enjoyable. The grounds are very well kept and there are some interesting wildlife at the hotel: A parrot named Max who talks, chickens and roosters, and cats. Iguana's came out every afternoon and actually found on under my beach chair. Did I scream? Yes. Are they harmless? Yes. We got a lot of our meals at the Mango Market which is their deli and grocery store. There is a hummingbird family living over there too so if you are nature enthusiast you should check it out. The gym was very big for a hotel and they have pilates and yoga classes at no extra charge. The hotel has beautiful sunsets that you should catch while enjoying a drink at the beach bar. It was very easy to access the whole western side of the island from the Westin. They had cabs waiting to take you anywhere you want to go. We spent most of our evenings in Cruz Bay/Mongoose Junction for happy hour and dinner. I think it was only a $10 cab ride there, but after a few days of taking a cab it took a toll on our wallets! I wish there was a hourly shuttle into town from the Westin. It was a 5-10 minute ride, but unfortunately you can’t walk it. There are so many beautiful beaches in Saint John I think we only spent 1 or 2 days at the Westin beach. When we stayed at the hotel we never had a problem finding a beach chair in a sunny spot. I would also recommend you bring bug zappers for the room. Mosquitoes run rampant on St. John so just make sure you are prepared with bug repellent! I would definitely recommend the Westin, but just be careful with the rooms.

Room Tip: The first room we had was in building 23, make sure you aren't there.
3 Thank hearttropical
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I was very glad to hear we were able to turn your stay around, and I want to apologize for the condition of your initial room accommodations. We are currently evaluating future renovations, and are aware that there are buildings in need of improvement. Your feedback is much appreciated and will only aid in speeding up the process. While your honeymoon did not get off to a perfect start, I was happy to learn that the rest of your stay went smoothly and that you enjoyed so many amenities on property. Thank you again and congratulations on your recent marriage! We hope to welcome you back, perhaps for your yearly anniversary, so that you are able to see our room improvements firsthand. We look forward to seeing you again.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Fantastic venue for a quiet vacation....except during spring break when the beach is populated by families with young children enjoying their vacation from school.
Hotel provides a ferry from the dock in St. Thomas, but you can arrange your own transportation and arrive there a couple of hours faster. No need to rent a car when you arrive. James Penn transportation will "cab" you into town or around the island on his open air buses.
Rooms are ok, typical beach resort furnishings....so rooms have been renovated, others are in need of updating.
One of the cleanest and inviting beaches on any of the islands....total relaxation.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms afford the best locations on the property
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back in the near future so that we can provide you with another relaxing stay. Thank you again.
Salisbury, NC
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I visited this resort from 1/6- 1/13/2013. We rented a Jeep at the airport from Budget Car Rental. Budget allows you to take the car ferry over to St. John. (TIP: Book it at the national site if you use Budget, it's a better rate than if you book it directly with the St. Thomas Budget office).

Driving on the left is easy to master. We used our GPS that we brought from home, as the US Virgin islands are available from the Garmin web site.

We drove to Red Hook. At Red Hook you will pay a $3.00 fee to enter the car ferry area. On Saturdays and Sundays the fare is $40.00 round trip. It's $50.00 round trip for week days. You will have to use the same company each way, which was not an issue. There is no additional cost for passengers. The ferries run every hour. I do not recommend the Westin ferry because of the cost and limited schedule. The Westin ferry is a people only ferry.

We then drove to the Westin which is very close to Cruz Bay. The Westin has a large free lot for your rental.

The rooms at the Westin are dated and need to be upgraded. There are two levels to the buildings and there are no elevators. However, the rooms are clean and they have the Heavenly Beds and the heavenly shower.

I gave this resort five stars because everything else was outstanding. The grounds are beautiful. The pool is very nice with plenty of padded lounge chairs. Our weather was absolutely perfect.

I have read a lot of comments on Trip Advisor about rude staff at this resort. We have been to the Caribbean many times and I have always treated the resort staff with respect, and have received respect and courteous behavior every time in return. The Caribbean runs on "island time" and if you want to have a great and relaxing vacation, it's not a bad pace to have while you are there.

I thought the staff was exceptional. We had some noise issues with an adjacent room, and we had to call security. The issue was handled and our request for a room move was handled for us the next day with no issues. We had a pool view in building 11. If that building is available, I highly recommend it as the view was fabulous. I would always receive a follow up call when I had a request to insure that I was happy.

We ate in the Prime steak house and the Ocean Grill. Both meals were outstanding. The seafood chowder at the Ocean Grille is not to be missed.

We used our Jeep to travel to all of the beaches on the Island, plus several trips to Cruz Bay. Parking is at a premium in Cruz Bay. We used a pay lot for $10.00 for four hours when we went there at night.

We also has two very relaxing days where we stayed at the pool and enjoyed some great frozen drinks from the Westin bar.

This was an outstanding vacation and we highly recommend the Westin if you are travelling to St. John.

7 Thank rickmont1
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
We certainly appreciate your review and your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Westin St. John. Thank you for sharing rental car and ferry transfer details, and also for your details regarding the amenities you enjoyed at our resort. While it sounds as though you found your room accommodations to be dated, your understanding of future renovations is clear, and we thank you for the high rating that came with your review. I was happy to hear you enjoyed your Heavenly bed and shower, our large pool, and especially the Customer Service provided to you. It makes us extremely proud to know that you were treated with kindness and consideration, and also that your requests were followed up on to ensure your utmost satisfaction. Thank you again for your review and recommendation. We look forward to seeing you again and providing you with another rejuvenating vacation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cruz Bay
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!