My wife and I visited the Westin in St. John for our anniversary in July of 2012. St. John was not particularly easy to get to, requiring a shuttle and a ferry from the airport in St. Thomas, but it's well worth the effort. There are only two resorts on the island, with the Westin being the only chain resort. We used points for our room, thus I can't comment on the value for price.
Pros: (1) The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, with a large pool with ample seating. (2) Taxis, which are really more large open-air shuttle buses, are readily available and inexpensive, and town is less than a 10-minute ride away. (3) The breakfast buffet was excellent, with open air seating right on the water. (4) The concierge was exceptional, providing great recommendations and making all accommodations in town for our entire trip in one visit. (5) Wait service at the pool was exceptional, with a large menu and excellent food. (6) Our room was unexceptional, but clean and comfortable. (7) There are a number of boats/charters that can be hired on site, and we highly recommend taking a boat tour of the BVI, particularly seeing Tortola and Jost Van Dyke. (8) Cars can be rented right on site, although we didn't find them to be necessary due to the taxi service. (9) The workout facility was large and modern, although there was sometimes a wait for equipment in the morning hours. (10) Room service was prompt and the food was very good, if basic. (11) The service and staff was universally friendly, helpful, and prompt.
Cons: (1) The grounds have a series of walkways to get from one location to another, and the walkways and roads are constantly filled with golf carts and other vehicles, making walking from one location to another a bit of an obstacle course. (2) The dining options on site are very limited. (3) The beach at the resort is relatively small. (4) There is no real gift shop on the property, requiring a 5-10 minute walk to an overpriced grocery store to buy drinks and snacks.
As noted, it takes some effort to get to St. John, but it's well worth it. The island is beautiful and isolated, and the Westin is an excellent location and property to enjoy the experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 1,200 feet of private beach, The Westin St. John Resort makes for the perfect island retreat. Stay in spacious rooms with ocean views from private balconies or patios. Guests can enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi available in all rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jetsetter so you can book your The Westin St. John Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin St. John Resort & Villas Hotel Cruz Bay
- Westin St. John Resort And Villas
- Westin Cruz Bay
- Cruz Bay Westin
- St John Westin
- The Westin St. John Resort Cruz Bay