“Great Discover SCUBA Diving”

Cruz Bay Watersports
Ranked #2 of 42 Tours in Cruz Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrating 29 years in business, Cruz Bay Watersports has evolved into the most diversified watersports Company in the Virgin Islands. Scuba and snorkel trips offered daily as well as BVI trips to the Baths, Caves, Foxy's, and the Soggy Dollar Bar. With two retail locations, Cruz Bay and the Westin Resort, CBW is your best source for "All Things Watersports."
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and 2 children (ages 15 and 12) had always wanted to try SCUBA, so we decided to do this 4-hour adventure while staying on St. John. Our Captain, Jason, and Dive instructor, Amy, were fantastic! They were knowledgeable, professional and fun. I was able to snorkel above my family and got great photos of them below. We all felt safe and cared-for the entire time. We have done other Cruz Bay Watersports adventures in the past and have always had a great experience with them. Highly recommended!

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

A day long trip to the Baths, a volcanic marvel with hidden caves, sandy beaches linked by a short rocky trail. Snorkelling experience amazing at baths and Caves. Lunch at Cooper Island a delightful stop on the way home. Staff accommodating and attentive. An amazing trip not to be missed -well worth the $140 cost!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We were torn on which trip to take, the Baths or the Jost Van Dyke. We choose the Baths because we wanted to get the experience of viewing the volcanic rocks. It’s something everyone should experience first unless you’re looking for a party trip (then go with the Jost).

Our captain Jason was awesome, informative, laid back, and a ton of fun to hang out with for the day. We were on the smaller boat (Blast) because the Island time was privately reserved. Jason gave us free reign over the boat allowing us to sit up on the bow or come up and chat in the wheel house. He made everyone feel at home and comfortable with his laid back style and fun sense of humor. During the trips he explained the customs process ($25 fee) thoroughly and while we were waiting at the BVI customs he drove around the harbor instead of just sitting there waiting. This allowed us to check out all the different boats and take pictures of the hills.

Ben was the deckhand and he was also very helpful, knowledgeable about the islands and fun to be on the boat with. Both of the guys doubled as bartenders and made sure everyone was fitted and had their snorkel gear before we got to Virgin Gorda.

The Baths are really cool. The huge volcanic structures were definitely something to experience. There were tons of coves and inlets to check out. It does get a little crowded on some of the trails as many of them only have one path through them. If you’re claustrophobic you might want to hang out at the beach. We had about an hour to wonder the island on our own (or we could have walked with Ben and got an island tour). I found this was an optimal amount of time to see everything, take pictures, and explore a bit.

After the Baths the open bar opened up (which was awesome) and we headed for the Cooper Island Beach Club. Meals were around $15 with a cash bar. It’s a small beautiful island and the food was good for the price.

Finally we headed for the Caves. I noticed many other complained about it being busy. Yes there are other private boats that moor up but I didn’t find that the area was crowded at all. Jason fully explained the dangers to avoid while in the caves (fire coral etc). I found the snorkeling to be very entertaining. The caves offer a variety of multi colored coral as well as small schools of fish hiding in the crevices. If you have been to Trunk, Maho, or Cinnamon Bay snorkeling you’ll find that this trip is comparable to those (without the turtles and larger fish). I wish we had a little more time to snorkel. We were given about 40 min and I think an hour minimum would have been an ideal amount of time to explore all the caves.
I also noticed people complaining about the tips. They didn’t even mention tipping until the end of the trip and just mentioned if you feel the staff (Ben) did a good job and accommodated your needs he does except tips. That’s all that was said. I did give him a tip because the guy works hard all day to make everything go smoothly. He gets off the boat to check everyone in at customs, fits and delivers everyone with snorkel gear, constantly checks on you to see if you need a refill, and explains everything about the trip and anything you ask him while on the trip. I literally would point to an island and ask what one it was and not only could he name it but he was able to give me a history lesson about the island.

Overall I found the trip to be informative, fun, and a positive lifetime experience. The staff was awesome, the ride was smooth and the weather was perfect (when isn’t it?). I would definitely do this trip if it’s your first boat trip. Once is enough for me, if I come back to St. John I’ll definitely be going on the Jost trip! Keep up the good work Cruz Bay Watersports, if I ever get back to St. John I'll be sure to book another trip!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My first snorkelling experience was a blast thanks to the wonderful and helpful JP!

My wife is deathly afraid of water and swimming but JP even got her to get into the water and try a bit. He gave her special attention as she was the only one who stayed on the boat (while the rest of us were off snorkelling) The entire experience was wonderful.

We even went out on the wave runners (an adrenaline pumping experience) and then enjoyed a leisurely para-sailing experience.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We tool the Baths/Caves trip $140 per person all day motor cruise with lunch at Cooper Island. It was a great day as the crew was professional, friendly and created a great experience. The captain of the boat was amazing in his ability to guide and dock the boat as the seas were too rough to swim in to the Baths beach.

We never felt rushed the boat was immaculate and the staff had the right mix of service with a smile. If you are staying at the Westin then this is a trip to consider.