“Bellissimo”

Ranked #31 of 57 Restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Da Livio is nestled in the heart of Cruz Bay. Offering an exclusive and authentic taste of Italy, we bring you a unique dining experience to the island that's not offered by any other restaurant around. Aside from bringing you a crafted menu, we are also a private distributor of wine and specialty imported goods. Each of our dishes are packed with outstandingly fresh ingredients that are all imported to ensure that we serve our original recipes the way they are indented. Choose from our handmade pastas and sauces to our brick oven pizza- everything is made from scratch, each time. From the Caputo flour, imported from Napoli and used in our dough- to the Faema E61 that is the only one on in the entire islands, come taste the difference and quality with us at Da Livio!
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Ill start with a small disclaimer. I have lived and worked in Italy extensively. I have also been a chef in the Virgin Islands and truly know how hard it is to get high end ingredients while dealing with astronomically high prices for said products and the stupid tourists who don't understand this.

My wife and I had a beautiful dinner here on our first anniversary. We started with the basiola and caprese salad. Both done perfectly. We moved on to the bucatini with tomatoes and artichokes, delicious, then the lobster rovioli also delicious. The pasta was first rate which forced us to order a pie even though we were full but the speck and fresh mozzarella pizza was perfectly charred and crispy. We skipped desert but enjoyed aperol spritz with dinner and sipped amaro to end the meal. I can't wait to enjoy another meal at this authentic Italian restaurant.

Rest assured potential patrons the food is as authentic as you'll find outside of Italy and not to be confused with American/Italian cuisine. This food takes time and love to prepare which I found evident in my experience.

2  Thank travelingguido
LivioLeoni, Owner at da Livio, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Grazie for visit my restaurant and leave a review that is a good answer for all those people who do not understand what I'm doing and how is hard to do here. Grazie mille hope to see you again sharing my passion. Ciao

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week long vacation in St.John and loved it. I will admit that we had a bit of sticker shock when we first arrived but got over it pretty quickly. Ate at a lot of great restaurants and was excited to see an authentic Italian restaurant as its my favorite cuisine! Overall the food was good, but totally over-priced even for St.John. My his husband ordered Caprese salad and for $15 and I'm not even joking but we got 3 small pieces of tomato and 3 small pieces of mozzarella! It was pathetic. The next night we went to Waterfront bistro and he ordered the same thing for $14 and it was 3x the size and came with homemade pastry puffs. Like I said, overall food was good but not worth the price at all.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've debating writing a review on this place since our trip in 2012, I was reading reviews on other restaurants when I saw ones for Da Livio and became curious of what others thought.. After reading the review by OceanLOver27 and seeing the response from the OWNER, I am completely floored! From a professional business perspective I cannot believe what I am reading... Therefore I will post MY own personal experience here. My boyfriend and I went for a nice dinner, the restaurant is on a side street with no ocean view, there is a patio but no place to sit at the time we went. We sat inside, the waitress(?) who was wearing a mini skirt and heels, was less than friendly. We almost felt as if we were an inconvenience. We ended up asking for our pizza to go because it took so long and we felt so unwelcome and uncomfortable. The pizza was good but not for the price, we ended up getting pizza from the cafe by the Beach Bar a few nights later that was delicious and half the price (and with a smile!) I hate to see such rude, unprofessional business owners on St. John. Hopefully this is not a growing trend; we will not be visiting this “restaurant” when we return in December.

LivioLeoni, Owner at da Livio, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thanks for visiting my restaurant and leave a review. I was thinking to not waste my time and the time of the travelers answering at your review but I have to say which my waitress don't wear any mini skirts, but it is our personalized apron, and they wear a black pants, no heels at all!!
We are working to have an ocean view, but is very hard to move to ocean on the other side of my restaurant easier for you keep going where you said and enjoy your favorite pizza, maybe my answer seems to you not professionally, sorry but I'm Italian and as you know we put passion in what we do.
Best regards.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you like your pizza with lots of toppings and a thick crust and are used to American/Italian pizza in the US this isnt the place for you.

If you like authentic pizza that are made the traditional way with good quality ingredients and delicious then you should visit Da Livio.

We have toured Italy many times and the pizza at Da Livio was the best we have ever eaten and the best meal we ate on St John.

LivioLeoni, Owner at da Livio, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Salve, thanks for visiting my restaurant I'm very happy you liked and leave a review. Grazie mille I'm here for people like you guys! I'm putting passion in what I'm doing here is not for business only!
Hope to see you again enjoying pizza and more @ da Livio.
Ciao

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We found Da Livio's a few years ago and have returned several times for excellent northern Italian cuisine. This year we were delighted once more. The eggplant appetizer was delicious! My husband then had a veal chop parmigiana. It was on the bone, as they often serve it in Italy, succulent and with a red sauce that approaches my mom's (born and raised in Rome), Certainly exceptional sauce for restaurant fare. My husband chose bolognese sauce for his side of pasta, because we LOVE Dalivio's Bolognese! I opted for casa recce ( a homemade pasta) with puttanesca sauce and it was unbelievable! For dessert, my husband had a cannolo, crisp shell, smooth and delicious filling! Heaven!
We are St. John regulars who adore fish and shellfish of all types, but sometimes we long for a nice glass of red wine and pasta. This is the place! I am dying to try DaLivio's pizza, it looks incredible, very thin crusted, topped with beautiful tomatoes and cheese, just like in Italy. Next time!!!
We will return!