“Bad food”
Review of da Livio

da Livio
Ranked #32 of 59 Restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Da Livio is nestled in the heart of Cruz Bay. Offering an exclusive and authentic taste of Italy, we bring you a unique dining experience to the island that's not offered by any other restaurant around. Aside from bringing you a crafted menu, we are also a private distributor of wine and specialty imported goods. Each of our dishes are packed with outstandingly fresh ingredients that are all imported to ensure that we serve our original recipes the way they are indented. Choose from our handmade pastas and sauces to our brick oven pizza- everything is made from scratch, each time. From the Caputo flour, imported from Napoli and used in our dough- to the Faema E61 that is the only one on in the entire islands, come taste the difference and quality with us at Da Livio!
London, United Kingdom
“Bad food”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

In St John for a few days, had really bad Italian food cravings and I ended up visiting Da Livio. I have ordered strozzapreti with a black olive and tomato sauce and my friend ordered the special pappardelle. We are both Italian, born and raised in Italy, living in NYC and London, so pretty used to eat Italian food abroad.
The strozzapreti sauce was really bland, almost like out of a tomato can. No traces of the black olive sauce, not enough salt or oil, a bad attempt even for a basic tomato sauce. My friend's special was dry and completely wrong, too much dry meat, not enough pasta. We were shocked to see the cheque, for a dish if pasta (almost out of a school cafeteria) and a beer, we paid 45$ each. We should gave known better when we noticed that the restaurant was empty at 9PM on a Friday night! Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend it at all. There is plenty of other places on the island, and even a microwaved ball of pasta in nicer than a meal in thus restaurant. This is nothing to do with authentic Italian good food!

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank London801

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful food, best desserts, romantic atmosphere”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I dined at Da Livio twice during our stay in St. John. The first evening we had the eggplant appetizer. It was excellent, especially the pesto sauce. Probably the best pesto either of us have tasted. We then ordered tirimisu for dessert. I love tirimisu and it was so wonderful that we had to order a second round! A few nights later we had dinner there. He had a salad (which was so fresh and tasty) and the lobster ravioli. He loved it so much and said he could drink the sauce. I had the pepperadelle bolognese and it was also wonderful. The homemade pasta was great! For dessert we tried the chocolate torte with berries. The torte was rich and the chocolate flavor was decadent and so delicious. The meals were pricey, but we think the price was fair for the quality of food compared to other restaurants in St. John with
similar prices. Also, the atmosphere can't be beat. It is a relaxing and romantic setting in the middle of a town that leans more towards a casual party vibe.

1 Thank krpmrp
“Great Italian food with nice atmosphere, but restaurant could use a ceiling fan.”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Food was excellent. The atmosphere was modern with a twist of NYC styling. A bit expensive, but real Italian flare without the tourist edge.

1 Thank Lakelookout
Road Town, Tortola
“Great Italian Food”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My boyfriend and I ate here on the last night of our trip to St John. We live on Tortola and we don't have any nice Italian restaurants on the island, so we were looking forward to a great Italian meal. Da Livio did not disappoint. We weren't very hungry, so we went straight to ordering a pasta each. I ordered the Osso Bucco Agnolotti which was delicious. My boyfriend is lactose intolerant and couldn't eat a number of pastas as they had creamy sauces. However our waiter said they could make a sauce up for him. So he ordered the gnocchi with a "spicy tomato sauce" (a sauce not on the menu at all) and the gnocchi and the sauce were amazing. The gnocchi melted in your mouth. I finished up with the capuccino semi-freddo for dessert, and it was the best semi-freddo I have ever had. I wanted more more more! Yes, the price is expensive, but St John is an expensive island and we were so happy with everything that we didn't even ask for the 10% discount that we could have gotten as we were staying at the hotel upstairs. Go to this place when you are on St John! Could not recommend it more highly!

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Sophie1941
Wenatchee, Washington
“Great People, Authentic Italian”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We have eaten at Da Livio several times and are continually pleased. My wife and I are both very critical of food and wine and have enjoyed Da Livio's on several occasions. After traveling throughout Italy we can confirm the authenticity of Livio's food. Service is appropriate and fun, and their attire is professional/casual. It is on the expensive side but this is St. John which makes it average. The wine list is on the smaller side, but does cover most Italian varietals. Overall it is great food with fun people who care about serving great food. Enjoy!

• Visited May 2011