“Tasty Tacos”
Review of Viva Cantina - CLOSED

Viva Cantina
Description: Viva Cantina takes a fresh approach to Mexican cuisine. From the tableside guacamole, to making our own tortillas daily, to an extensive menu of tacos and tequilas, sizzling fajitas, enchiladas, chile rellenos, to the house made chocotaco, and more, we take pride in providing a great culinary experience in our historically inspired Mongoose Junction location. Join us!
Reviewed November 9, 2016

We visited Viva Cantina recently after realizing it was the old Virgin Fire. It looks exactly the same except for the menu. We sat outside on the balcony watching the sunset. Immediately we were served homemade chips and salsa (but note if you want a refill they charge you $2 as stated on the menu). I had their house made margarita and my husband had a sangria - both delicious. For dinner I had the Viva Mahi Mahi tacos.

I ordered two and for a small fee i had it as a platter that comes with beans and rice. The fish was lightly batter dipped and fried and served with a mango salsa - it was delicious. My husband had the 2 beef brisket burritos which were huge. He enjoyed them but was a bit perplexed that they were filled with the same rice and beans that were served along side of the burritos - other then that he enjoyed them. Our server was friendly and attentive. I would try it again but i think my husband would opt for the tacos instead.

Reviewed November 8, 2016

This was one of my favorite restaurants on all of St. John. I loved sitting outside overlooking the busy street below & ocean beyond. Their prices were super reasonable (can be hard to find on St. John) & their food & service were awesome. I had the cheese enchiladas & gaucamole, & both were excellent. Heather served me & was super friendly & on top of everything. Oh, & their bathroom was the cleanest public restroom I saw on the whole island. I highly recommend this place!

Reviewed November 1, 2016 via mobile

The food and atmosphere were great...we really enjoyed the live music. Both fish tacos were yummy and my fiance loved the Viva Plater (numero dos...carnitas wet burrito was bomb diggity) You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed November 1, 2016 via mobile

Should have known better with no one in the place on an early Sunday evening. Sorry for the negative review but, overly priced even for St John. I had one shrimp and one fish taco, literally had no taste at all. Wife had a taco salad also with fish that had no taste at all. Brothers and sister in-laws had tamale sampler platters that had little to no taste also. If they expect to stay open for more than the next 6 months they had better try and taste what they offer and have an open house for local restaurants to sample.

Reviewed October 31, 2016 via mobile

We had a great diner here , fresh ingredients , kid friendly food , good price for St. John . The fajitas were awesome and cheese cake great too. Will go back for sure .