“Quirky Cafe with Great Food and Stellar Service in Paradise”
Review of Sun Dog Cafe

Sun Dog Cafe
Ranked #12 of 61 Restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: Pizza, Healthy, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Sun Dog Cafe is a great casual dining option, and home to the Gecko Gazebo, our open air bar overlooking the gracious center courtyard of Mongoose Junction. A New York Times Travel and Leisure Pick for St. John, we serve lunch daily, dinner on weekdays, and brunch on Sunday. Don't Miss the Wednesday Night Jam, from 6 to pm, a great musical event with local and visiting talent. Welcome!
Reviewed August 21, 2014

This is one of my favorite restaurants hands down. Between the kitchen that is the size of a small storage closet to the creative and fun specials, the food is always a treat. The puff pastry is always a family favorite and we love coming here and ordering a bunch of stuff and sharing it so we do not have to pick just one thing from the menu. The service staff is always friendly and willing to work with food allergies. Even though they get busy quick, they are attentive, efficient and do their job with a smile on their face! The drinks from the bar are delicious and sometimes even come with a sparkler or a fun plastic gecko. The staff at this restaurant realize that when people are on vacation, they usually are there to have fun and enjoy a great meal. They go to every effort to ensure that the guest leaves with a full belly and a happy experience! Can't wait to get back down to see what the specials brings board brings us for lunch and a visit to an island favorite!

Reviewed August 20, 2014

My family and I visited St. John for the first time this year. We had heard from locals that this place was awesome so we decided to check it out. Not only was the food to die for (I had "the burrito that ate Cruz Bay") but the service we had was also excellent! Jamie was beyond helpful with giving us ideas on what we needed to do during our visit! She even joined us for dinner one night and has since kept in touch, asking us when we be coming back! All in all I would recommend this place to anyone without a doubt! We will definitely be going back when we return to the island.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We've been visiting St John for over 20 years. I can't remember when Sun Dog opened for business but it is one of our favorite bar and food destinations on the island. It's always a difficult choice between one of the Ahi Tuna dishes, the killer Burrito, and the frequently offered daily puff pastry special. Oh, but the texas chicken pizza dish is pretty darn good too. Waitstaff is friendly, helpful and attentive. Don't forget dessert. You can't go wrong with the Key Lime Pie but it's a tuff choice between that and the chocolate tort. When Tyler is working we always eat at the bar so we can enjoy his company!

1  Thank Wolf J
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We have been a few nights in St John, and between all the fancy and top restaurants we found this as the better cost effective place you can have in St John.
It was the best Tuna starter we had in 20 days in Caribe, very good entrees, but really worthy for the Island pricing standards.
Its really worthy if you are staying a few nights there.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Rude service - I didn't even get a chance to take a seat. It was 5:26pm and they started service at 5:30pm. I was tired and wanted to take a seat, order a drink, order an appetizer, and wait for my wife and daughters to finish shopping so we could then have dinner. Mongoose Junction is really nice location for shopping.

The waitress told me to sit downstairs where the tables were cable locked together because she was setting up. This place ONLY has outdoor seating, so its not like I had to be seated. I could have just plopped down at one of the tables. I came back upstairs, leaned against one of the planters, and waited. By 5:45pm, there were two tables of people seated, but she never offered one of the other 3 open tables to me. My daughter joined me and the waitress made a rude comment to my daughter to move out of the way (come on, we were no where near the tables, check your video recordings).

I have no idea what the deal was. I was in cargo shorts and a collared shirt - its not like I was in swim trunks and a tank top. Maybe its the color of my skin... I have no idea, but who needs to deal with this, so we took off to a friendlier location.

Michael B, Owner at Sun Dog Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Thanks for the review, and I want to personally apologize if you felt that you were not served properly. We are a small cafe, with just 6 tables adjacent to the kitchen and we use the tables for food service only. We have a bar for beverage service. It seems there was poor communication on the part of our staff member here, but in all fairness, it is completely inappropriate and inaccurate to suggest that this is based on any sort of racial profiling.

Having said that, any lack of hospitality is inexcusable, and we will review this incident carefully with staff to be sure it doesn't recur. We have over 400 reviews here and elsewheres that bear witness to our commitment to our guests, and my hope is that the readers of this and the adjoining reviews will keep all of this in perspective in making a dining decision. I would invite you to please return to the cafe on another occasion to experience it the way that most do.

Thanks,