“Best local caribbean dining experience on St John”
Review of De' Coal Pot

De' Coal Pot
Ranked #30 of 122 Restaurants in St. John
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sarasota, Florida
“Best local caribbean dining experience on St John”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The dining room and adjacent bar are air conditioned and decorated well. The chairs are comfortable and tables well spaced. The servers are friendly and made us feel comfortable. The oxtail was a good portion and so tender that we savored every bite and the bones were cleaned. The curried goat was also tender and delicious and the not over spiced. You get 3 sides to each entrée and fresh steamed vegetables are one of the sides. I loved her mac and cheese. There's lots of other good sides. The drinks are well made and really large. How about a perfectly made painkiller in a big glass for $5? We went here twice during our vacation. The owner/chef, Norma, came to our table to make sure everything was OK. I have eaten at most of the local places and like this one the best.

• Visited April 2014

“Great new place in Cruz Bay!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Great local homecooking! There aren't too many places to get that in Cruz Bay which mostly gears itself towards contemporary stateside cuisine these days. Definitely recommended! I've been twice for lunch so far and can't wait to try for dinner!

Bloomingdale, New York
“A Must in Cruz Bay!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We found out about this new restaurant through newsofstjohn.com. We are so happy we went. The food was delicious - the wing dings had the right amount if seasoning and some sort of berry sauce to go with them. We had the chicken roti (curried chicken with potatoes in a chickpea flour wrap), mahi creole (light and flaky mahi fish) and three sides - coleslaw, potato salad and sweet potato stuffing. Norma, the chef, made sure we were enjoying our meal and our waitress was the best. You must try it if you want authentic Caribbean cuisine!

Atlanta, Georgia
“An almost brand new, hidden gem!”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

De' Coal Pot's only been open a few weeks but their food is phenomenal! I particularly loved the Ox Tails and the Goat Curry.....some of the best West Indian/Caribbean food I've ever had, and I'm a Anthony Bourdain/Andrew Zimmern type of foodie. The drinks from the full bar are also generous and aren't overpriced at all. It's a bit off the Cruz Bay landing area, but no more than a 5 minute walk from anywhere in Cruz Bay.

Visited April 2014
Princeton, New Jersey
“De Coal Pot - Great local food”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I had two delicious meals at De Coal Pot in April 2014. I had Mutton Soup and a Chicken Roti on my first visit. Both were very tasty. My second visit, I had Mahi Creole with 3 side dishes. The fish was very fresh and delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking to eat some great West Indian food.