“Worth the hike”
Review of Salomon Beach

Salomon Beach
Ranked #8 of 95 things to do in St. John
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We parked at Caneel for the day and hiked over to Salomon. The first part of the hike leads you to Honeymoon Beach and that was an easy hike. The next part of the hike was a bit more adventurous and I was glad to be wearing closed-toe Keens. Overall if took about 30 minutes to get to Salomon but we are fairly slow hikers. The beach is gorgeous. The trees growing sideways out of the sand are so beautiful to see and to photograph. The snorkeling was very good off to the right of the beach. I wish that we had brought our beach chairs but the hike would have been considerably more difficult for me if we had carried them as I was constantly using trees to brace myself up and down the trail. Previously we had hiked in from Cruz Bay and I believe that was an easier trail to follow.

3  Thank BeachboundJen
in 4 reviews
"snorkel gear"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was the 1st beach we visited on St. John.
We stopped at park service building to get oriented and some advice on best places to visit.
We took Lind Point Trail that starts behind the park service building and it was a pleasant 20 minute walk to Salomon Beach. The views overlooking Cruz Bay was gorgeous along the way.
We saw our first mongoose ever while hiking.
The beach is secluded because the only access is hike in or boat.
The beach was beautiful and gave us an idea what to look forward to at the other beaches on St John. The snorkeling was decent. There was a boat there that was teaching people to scuba dive.
Its a easy hike from downtown Cruz Bay.
We recommend taking the hike to Salomon at least once while at St John. We heard from several people to avoid going there in the evening because bugs were bad at time. Morning is best.

2  Thank jmjbrtw
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We took the Lower Lindpoint Trail from Cruz Bay to Salomon beach. I would recommend wearing closed toe shoes because it gets a little rocky at some points. I managed in flip flops, but it was not ideal. There were only about three other groups on the beach when we arrived. We got to set up under a palm tree. It was so quiet and relaxing. If you like secluded, this is the place for you!

1  Thank Karrie W
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This beach is a 30 minute, easy hike from Cruz Bay along a wide trail through the tropical forest of the National Park. You should wear closed shoes for the walk, not flip-flops or sandals. You can't drive there. Even so, this relatively small beach attracts a comfortable number of devotees. It is uncrowded, but not empty. There are no facilities (loungers, umbrellas, restrooms, food vendors): just a gorgeous soft sandy beach with palm trees and a splendid view across to the British Virgin Islands. Snorkeling is pretty good, although perhaps not spectacular.

5-10 minutes after Salomon Beach, beyond a small rocky promontory, is Honeymoon Beach. Honeymoon Beach is longer, but it is spot where up to 8-10 catamarans a day may bring boatloads of visitors. There are more facilities at Honeymoon Beach. Same beautiful view. I prefer the somewhat greater tranquility of Salomon Beach.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This beach was my favorite beach on St. John. It is small, secluded and beautiful. It is a short 0.5 mile hike from Lind Point Trail, which is very close to Cruz Bay. There are a few parking sports so if you get there relatively early, or if you’re lucky, you can just leave the car and walk down to the beach. There are a few palm trees that you can lounge next to, and the water was relatively calm and a beautiful blue and turquoise. There were only a handful of people on this beach, and my husband and I really enjoyed spending a few hours in peace and quiet. Right next to Solomon Beach is the Honeymoon Beach, which is larger and was much more crowded when we visited. It is a lot more commercialized, with some large cars going back and forth and a little gift shop. We didn’t stay there due to the people and the noise, so I definitely suggest Solomon Beach for a nice and serene time, perfect for reading, snorkeling or taking a nap. It is quite romantic as well, and if you arrive really early or in the late afternoon, I’m sure you’ll be the only person there.