“I would stay here again, loved it!”
Review of Samuel Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. John
Samuel Cottages
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Loved the quaint, quiet cottage. Short walk to Cruz bay and the dolphin grocery store!!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TwoCanucksOnTheBeach

Reviewed July 24, 2008

An unbelievable value for St. John. I have visited St. John almost a dozen times, usually staying with friends who live on the Island. My girlfriend and I decided to try Samuels cottages for our most recent visit and couldn't have been happier. The aaccomodations were far from fancy but were fantastic overall. First, they are spotlessly clean and tidy, with mismatched linens and plateware, but wiith everything you could need to make dinner or go to the beach (chair, towels,small cooler, etc). The a.c worked great (to the point where we had to ask Patrice for an extra blanket.. she responded to our request graciously and quickly.. can't say enough about how friendly the owners are) The view is over cruz bay, and in march the huge porch is flooded with afternoon sun, perfect to enjoy a nice sundowner.. We rented a car to go to the beach during the day but the cottages are a quick walk to town.. no taxi or drunk driving worries after a night in town.. just a brisk ten minute walk up the hill.. I hate to let anyone esle know about these cottages for fear that we wonlt be able to book them again but the owners deserve to be complimented for their hospitality.. a great no frills spot for a vacation. One small concern is the construction of the beds... don't plan on getting too rambunctious in the sack.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank mvjason
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I went to St. John's almost 2 years ago for a friends wedding on Hawk's Nest. I loved staying at Samuels cottage so much that I recommended it to everyone I came across on my way home. What a great price, great view and great owners.
The cottages can hold from 2-6 people. Most comfortably 2-4 people. I had one all to myself and had no problems paying for it, because the rate is incredible for what you get. It is a nice short walk to the ferries and taxi's. Everyone was so sweet on the island. If you didn't want to go out to eat you didn't have to because the cottages came with microwave, oven, toaster and a small coal grill. Perfect!!!
Yes my first morning I did wake up to a rainbow out over the ocean/bay that the cottages overlook. Most of the pictures of it without wires in the way.
I will warn the driveway was steep if you are at cottage #3 and the walk from the "town" part is uphill, but great exercise and not hard to walk up with luggage also. Yup we did that too.
Enjoy your time in St John's. It's such a wonderful enchanting island.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
13  Thank sunshineday19
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I was a little worried when my husband wanted to stay at Samuel Cottages on the island of St. John in the USVI. There was not any recent reviews out there so we were not quite sure what to expect. To my suprise, Samuel Cottages was an excellent, clean, and great location to stay. St. John is a beautiful island with not many affordable places to stay. Samuel Cottages is so reasonable for the price that it also allows you to spend money renting a jeep to see the island or use your money for other activities. The hosts are very accomodating and you really don't see them at all. We ended up having plane delays and could not stay our first night at the Cottages and they totally refunded us without us even thinking that it was an option. The cottages are not fancy but they are very clean, close walk to town, great views of the ocean and plenty of room. There is a kitchen if you would like to cook any of your own meals since most meals on the island are expensive. If you are looking for a low key clean place to stay I would highly recommend Samuel Cottages.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank jmp060504
Reviewed June 28, 2006

My Wife and I stayed here years ago and was I was delighted to see it reviewed on Trip Advisor. The price then was around $100 per night..a HUGE bargain for an very expensive Island.
For most of our stay we had no neighbors (the other 2 cabins) just some lovely stray cats and chickens..we had the furthest cabin from the road. The interior was all cabin with mismatched flatware, pot and pans and odd glasswares...BUT it has everything you would need..I even managed to make homemade horseadish infused vodka!..as well as several meals...My best memory is taking in the sunsets on the porch over looking the much, much more hectic St Thomas. The AC worked great as well as the TV and Phone.
Thye walk up the hill could kill an out of shape person in the heat..but a quick cab ride will put you up there in 2 minutes...all cab drivers know this place...you never need a car here...
I never met the owners but wished I had! We were desperate to stay another night but our place was booked..This whole island is magical...and I would HIGHLY recommend taking the private charters to Virgin Gorda.."Pirate Jenny" and something else..I did this on both my trips..The B.V.I's are a very worthwile destination
Thomas Gibson

• Stayed: March 2002
7  Thank Jesteg
Reviewed August 20, 2005

My husband, my friend and I stayed at Samuels Cottage for 5 nights in July. When we decided to stay here, we were expecting nothing luxury but clean and simple. Samuels cottage went above and beyond our expectation!! Upon arrival to the cottage, we had so many good surprises by the owner, Patrice. First, the room was spacious. Our bed room had 1 double bed and 2 twin beds (easily family of 4 can sleep), and another bed (daytime couch) in living room. (plus 2 closets in bed room) Air conditioning in the bed room worked great for 4 nights and broke down at 5th night. But Patrice brought a big fan to ease the heat. Second, we were provided with bath towels, wash cloths, hand towels AND beach towels with bug spray! Third, the refrigerator was big, you can easily stock a week worth grocery in it. We bought 12 pack of water bottles and froze them to carry to beaches or town. We had breakfast on the porch every morning with great view and morning breeze. We didn’t cook dinner at the cottage but the kitchen is apartment size, you can cook anything if you want to (with oven, microwave and coffee maker). In addition, they also have a small grill (with charcoal) on the porch.
The cottage provided us guide maps and books, and some paper back books that we exchanged to the ones we brought and finished. We did not rent a car, and took taxi to different of beaches everyday and I think we saved money by it. If you rent a car, you can bring the beach chairs that you will find on the porch. The cottage is within a walking distance from Cruz Bay (10 min) but if you are not in shape, on the way back to the cottage from the town may be a tough one (very steep uphill).
All of us think that Samuels cottage was way better than camping in terms of location and value of money you pay (and hot shower you can take anytime you want). We recommend this place for people who are looking for simple relaxed vacation on the beautiful island, St. John, but not for people who want to stay at all inclusive or cookie cutter chain hotels.

• Stayed: July 2005
20  Thank sing-mommy
Reviewed March 28, 2005

Samuels cottages, while certainly not the Ritz, is an excellent spot to hang your hat for a week or longer. It is just on the edge of town at the top of the hill next to a big white church in a more residential area. There is a small market a block away. The owners Julian and Patrice were very friendly and if engaged in conversation are only too happy to give suggestions. Also they have many guide books at the house for planning daily excursions. The cottages have the amenities inside of most state park cabins. stove, fridge, etc but also have a seperate kitchen and livingroom and a private bedroom. The front porch looks out onto the bay from the top of the hill. The money we saved allowed us to do the extra things we wanted when we got to the island. Rent a tracker and see the island. 33 beaches and we could only manage to visit 9 in a week. You are so busy throuout the day that where you sleep at night really becomes less of a priority but the cottages are quite comfortable to come "home" to just the same. The number I have is 340-776-6643. Its in the Sprint included area and your cell will actually work on the left side of the island. Give this place a try and be able to afford the things the other half enjoy.

17  Thank seedoitall
#3 of 4 in Cruz Bay
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to Samuel Cottages? Share your experiences!