“Well worth it”
Review of Wayward Sailor

Wayward Sailor
More attraction details
Owner description: St. John, VI Day sail charters, voted Best Day Sail Charter boat on St. John for the past five years, specialize in guided snorkeling, eco-tour with marine naturalist, personal service, family oriented; full day sails,half day, sunset sails, Jost van Dyke, BVI; snorkel reefs accessible only by boat, all inclusive, discounted price, fresh Caribbean lunches, homemade brownies, maximum of six guests, safe, comfortable classic 30' sloop, Coast Guard approved, beginner snorkelers welcome.
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We sailed with Captain Phil in the summer of 2011 and enjoyed the whole experience. He's very knowledgeable about STJ,the VI, and marine ecology. I wasn't concerned that he carefully handled a few marine creatures, and I didn't ask them how they liked it. Then again, I didn't ask the seafood I ate on STJ how they liked, either. Maybe I should have? But then, I'm an insensitive Republican so only so much can be expected of me. That said, as greedy as I am (being a Republican and all), I'm more than happy to tip someone who does a good job, as is expected in the tourism business, even in Colorado (last time I was there), and my family and I are still enjoying the tasteful hats and t-shirts Cap Phil sold us at the end of the day. The Wayward Sailor cap is now my favorite to wear when I "captain" our family speed boat! ;-)

2  Thank sljones

Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

Capt Phil married us 7 month ago and one of our guests gave a sunset sail with him for our next trip. We just went and had an enjoyable evening. Yes, capt Phil likes to chat and share his knowledge but he knows alot about the island. Built his own house on lavango- where only 3 people live on the whole island. Pretty cool. It was a nice relaxing evening. His mate ahn was great too.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Captain Phil claims to be a naturalist but he chose to use his motor instead of his sails while taking us to Lavongo Cay from Cruz Bay on St. John for a snorkel trip. There was plenty of wind, but there was no negotiating this. He is very dictatorial. To boot, I had to listen to a political Republican rant on the way over. On the plus side, he was very knowledgeable about the coral reefs and shared some of his knowledge with all of the people on the tour. His boat is very clean and orderly. Handling some of the sea life so snorkelers could enjoy it might have pleased some of them, but I wonder how the sea life felt about that? Cost was $70 but he outwardly asks for a tip and tries to sell you his hats and shirts after the trip. Captain Phil does not seem to like what he does for a living... comes across as rather bitter. But the reefs on the south side of Lavongo were worth seeing for an approximately 45 minute snorkel and thus it was worth putting up with him for the 3 plus hours of the tour.

2  Thank Bugsylover
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Based on a recommendation from a friend who has been to the island many times we booked this trip with captain Phil and his mate Tarn. Went with children aged 12 and 9. Capt Phil took us on his 30ft sailboat to 2 areas with no chop and plenty of great aquatic life. Lunch included and was great. He takes 6 people total so this was a far cry from the usual booze cruise,overpopulated operations. Very knowledgable about ocean creatures, the islands and very personable. Highly recommend if you want a personalized, memorable snorkel experience!

Reviewed March 8, 2012

A people person guy who takes groups if 6 on 1/2 or full day . With young woman, Tarn, who is the perfect mate. She prepares a nice lunch and watches out for the Capt. and for us . 2 - 45 minute snorkels... We did a nice protected canyon and another place and he points things out and teaches his naturalist stories and philosophies . I hear he was a Lloyd Bridges double on Sea Hunt , but Capt. Didn't mention it, so who knows.. But he certainly probably could have! I think this was a fab trip for both experienced and not so experienced. I was at the bottom of the pack for my group( they were all free diving ) but I was just fine at the top of the water.and he was a cool guy!