“Funky Sauce but Good BBQ”

Uncle Joe's Barbecue
Ranked #39 of 118 Restaurants in St. John
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Streetside dive offering portions big enough to share for most. Tender ribs and chicken, splashed with a funky colored bbq sauce which is very different than Kansas City or Texas style BBQ. Sides lack flavor - add a little flavor and clean the grime off the tables and I'd eat there more often.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stopped at this little bbq shack since it smelled so good and it did not disappoint. The chicken (our fave) and ribs were tender and juicy with a tasty sauce that had just the right amount of kick to it (was able to purchase the sauce at St John Spice). The sides were also fresh and very tasty and the prices reasonable. We had to return for our last meal before leaving the island and always found service to be friendly and efficient. It is also a great location to people watch

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Ribs are fantastic! A local favorite. Recommend by locals working at the hotel. Kids loved the ribs too. Will visit again next time we vacation in St. John.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Got takeout BBQ from Uncle Joe's on a recent trip to St. John for a group of 10. BBQ itself was pretty solid, wouldn't place among my favorite places in states, but would definitely eat again.

My biggest complaint is that they charged me 15% gratuity for a pickup order. When I called the order in, I inquired about prices and there was no mention of a gratuity (I didn't ask because I've never experienced mandatory gratuity on a takeout order). I argued for a bit with the woman working the register, but she could have cared less. I had a hungry hoard of people waiting, so I bit the bullet and just paid the charge. So, word to the wise, ask about the gratuity before you place the order and I'm guessing it may not be "mandatory."

2  Thank Ehrl10
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We ate at Uncle Joe's once during our recent stay on St. John. Was a good dinner for a reasonable price--and you can't beat the people watching across the street at the local bar.