“Don't go with a toddler”

Uncle Joe's Barbecue
Ranked #36 of 123 Restaurants in St. John
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've eaten here alot - and love it. However, this time around we had our daughter with us and they don't have high chairs. Ever try to eat ribs with a toddler in your lap? So I can't completely blame uncle joe for the experience - we did decide to stay once we knew there wasn't a high chair, but the ribs seemed a little off this time as well. Maybe they were getting cold from wrangling the kid. Who knows. In any case, I'd normally give uncle joe's 4 stars minimum, but I wanted to warn others with small kids ... it can be a challenge.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Anyone that comes to St John knows how expensive dining out is. If you are here for a while do yourself and your wallet a favor and pick up a plate from here and take it back to your room. 2 plates for about 25.00 and more food than you can eat. I could get the ribs every day but my wife vetoed that idea although she thought the ribs were awesome too. Come down in the evening, get a beer, and take in the local sights, sounds and flavor of Cruz Bay. Great way to experience local St John. Did not get the "unfriendly service " people post about. Seemed just about right to me. Don't expect Zozos going there and you will be fine.
'

1  Thank David B
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Don't let the simple and small setting of the place fool you, my wife and I ate here and loved it. She is from Texas so needless to say she is picky about her bbq, but this place got the seal of approval. Also the nice girl on the grill was from Texas and was having a great time with us.

This is a must visit on your visit to St. John

1  Thank ChicagoDP
Reviewed October 22, 2012

For $12 you get BBQ chicken and two side dishes. We took ours back to our rental to eat, but you can eat right there. It was very good. The cole slaw, pasta salad and rice and beans were all homemade.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Our family ate here and loved the food and we didn't break our travel bank! The chicken and ribs were very good. My daughter and I ended up splitting a meal. The service was so-so, not the friendliest, but we found that common around the island. If we go back to St. John I would put this on the list as one to revisit.