“Great first meal on St. John”

Turtle Bay Estate House
Ranked #76 of 122 Restaurants in St. John
“Great first meal on St. John”
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Caneel in the late afternoon. We went straight away to the concierge to make our dinner reservations for the week. We were pleasantly surprised that the Estate House had availability. This was our first visit to Caneel, but friends had recommended we try it.

It was great. The atmosphere,like most of caneel, was so relaxing. We sat at a table by two French doors that opened up onto the veranda. There was a nice cool breeze and the sound of the surf rolling into turtle bay.

Our waitress was very sweet but a little flighty. She was new and a little overwhelmed, I think. But she took good care of us through the course of the meal, and seemed to settle in and find her groove by the second course.

The menu was quite nice and varied. My wife had the asparagus three ways. I had the pork belly. Her app was delicious, but the asparagus foam was amazing. My pork was a little overdone, but the overall dish was very inventive and tasty.

For our entrée, she had the scallops, and I had the snapper. My fish was well prepared. The skin was crispy, it was well seasoned without overpowering the fish, and the sauce was delicious. My wife is a scallops fanatic. She loves them, and is very particular about how they are prepared. She said hers was the best scallops she had ever had. The sommelier was very helpful with finding a bottle that paired well with both of our meals.

We shared the apple tort. We're not big dessert eaters, so I'm not the best one to review it, but it was tasty. However, I had a snifter of grappa that was top notch. I love grappa and this was good stuff.

It is at a higher price point than you would pay for a similar meal stateside, but isn't that true of everything in St. John? All in all, it was a great first meal on our visit to St. John.

• Visited May 2014

Salt Lake City, Utah
“turtle bay restaurant”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

A nice upscale restaurant (collared shirts) in a pleasant sedate setting. We thought the food was average, with ZoZos a better choice even if noisier.

1 Thank richard_baringer
Seattle
“stratospheric prices, out of this world food”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

A very classy place; gentlemen are requested to wear collared shirts and closed shoes. The menu is impressive - around five inventive salads, any of which I'd choose happily (I hesitated about the bibb lettuce with pink grapefruit and avocado, an old-time favorite of mine, but plumped for the arugula and shaved pear with toast covered in blue cheese, and wasn't sorry). Seared foie gras attractively presented with three colorful streaks of confit or chutney; various tempting seafood offerings; nice rack of lamb or steak. You have to order your veggies on the side for appetiser-type prices. Although we didn't actually need dessert, the Death by Chocolate sounded so good we shared it, and loved the pretty plate of tiny bites of mousse, warm cake, this and that, with a strawberry and a spoonful of banana ice-cream. Needless to say, young couples were not much in evidence; but l saw plenty of good fellowship being enjoyed, not to mention a romantic gesture or two at several tables!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Elaine S
St. John
“Starve yourself for 2 days before your go ...”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

You will want to order one of everything on this menu. To DIE for ... as good as, if not better than Stateside. And OMG ... as if the starters and entre's aren't enough you have to save room for the desserts. A mind blowing plumb cobbler was on the menu this past season. Natalie knocks it out of the park!

Visited March 2012
New York
“Disappointing Food”
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My wife and I recently dined at the Turtle Bay Estate House to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We stayed at Caneel Bay 10 years ago on our honeymoon, so we were familiar with this restaurant - or so we thought. In the interim, the menu was completely overhauled - from a more generalist, classy fine-dining experience to a steakhouse. This was a surprise to us, but since we both like steak, we were fine with it.

The room itself hasn't changed much. It is still lovely and classy, featuring live piano and plenty of island artifacts and plants. The Caneel web site says that jackets are "customary" for men many men came in khakis and polo shirts and those who wore jackets usually just took them off and hung them on their chair.

As was the case 10 years ago, the wait staff was extremely gracious and engaging. In particular, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the vivacious and very funny sommelier, Albert, is still around. His knowledge of wines is excellent and he is just very fun to talk to.

As for the food, unfortunately, I cannot report that the quality has improved with the new menu. To begin with, the portions were very small. For my appetizer, I ordered sea scallops with corn. It was delicious but there was only a single scallop on the plate. Of more concern was the main course - a filet mignon. The menu clearly defines the various donenesses (rare, medium, etc.) and the definition of "medium" was "pink center." Unfortunately, the steak I received was cooked all the way through. My wife's steak, which was supposed to be medium well, was actually pinker inside than mine.

I never try to return dishes at a restaurant but I did report my dissatisfaction to the waitress. To their credit, she offered to bring me a new steak and when I declined (I don't like to waste food and I had already eaten about half of it thinking I was going to get to the pink part), they removed the cost of the steak from our bill. The manager apologized to us on the way out of the restaurant. Again, I can't stress enough how polite and helpful the staff here were. They go to great lengths to make you feel comfortable. Yet for the premium price you pay for the food, I can't say that it was very good. We had a much better meal for significantly less at Asolare, just outside of Cruz Bay.

1 Thank sleepymikeNewYork