“First but not last stay”

Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cwmtaf
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed on a Friday night with a large group to celebrate a 50th birthday. We were all put in superior river rooms (rooms 26 to 30 where 30 is the family room and I was in room 28). All rooms were immaculate and so quiet. We had the window open and all we could hear was the river and birds. Bed was one of the biggest beds I have ever seen.

Read some people say they had problems with the hot water but my husband was late arriving as he worked that day and had a shower the same time the rest of he family (post swimming pool showers) and I have to say nobody had any complaints.

The evening meal was superb as always. The restaurant staff know us all as we always dine at the restaurant for family birthdays but we return as the service has always been outstanding and food is always to the best quality.

Spa day for the women the next day was fantastic. We had never been to the spa before but I have to say my seaweed mud wrap was so refreshing. There were three beauticians there and from the 5 women in our party two were far more experienced than the third.

All in all we are already planning to go back for another trip.

Room Tip: Could not fault rooms 26 to 29 - superior rooms and room 30 is family room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Charlotte C

Reviewed April 8, 2013

What can I say, if your looking for peace and quiet this is the place for you, me and my partner stayed here for a couple of days and had a great time, the staff were friendly and the food was to die for, couldn't fault it, some people might find the rooms a bit dated but I found them to be pleasant and clean. The spa facility was great it was nice to come away and relax. I would recommend it to anyone even if you are not planning to stay it's well worth the stop for food.

Room Tip: We stayed at the rear, quiet and relaxing
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Spent an afternoon here with female family. Had a full massage which was OK. However I felt the staff could do with some training in pleasantness. They were totally unprofessional, no conversation was entered into and the decor and facilities are very jaded. I would give the afternoon 3 stars for effort. The spa could do with a full make over.

The food, on the other hand, was second to none.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Have been going to this hotel a couple of times a year for 8 years, in all seasons. Have stayed in the superior rooms and the suites or family room (which have separate bedroom and lounge with sofa bed). All the rooms are comfortable and warm. Basic, but with everything you need, clean and well maintained. The hotel is situated in stunning surroundings on the very edge of the Brecon Beacons, but close enough to Merthyr and Brecon, so that it is not that isolated for shopping and attractions. The food in the Bistro is very good and people travel from miles around to eat there, especially on Friday and Saturday nights when it is nearly always full, however as a resident you are always guaranteed a table, so long as you let them know roughly what time you want to eat, and there is never any waiting as you can relax in the lounge whilst you choose from the menu and have a drink. The menu is changed regularly and they use local produce, I would recommend the Welsh Lamb. The reception staff and managers (Vanessa and Trevor) are always helpful and friendly. The leisure suite is excellent with a large indoor pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. Large well equipped Gym. There are restrictions on when children can use the pool etc, but not too onerous. Breakfast is included, but is a buffett, with a large choice or cold meats, cheese, bread, cakes, fruit, cereal etc. Hot breakfast is extra but very reasonable, The only drawback is probably the lack of staff to serve you if you want a top up of tea or coffee etc. But was not a major problem and was offset by quality of the fare. A really good hotel, reasonably priced and an ideal location for exploring the Beacons and South Wales. Very easy to get to, about 45 mins from Junct 12 off M4. Would recommend it to families or couples.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet, due to the location of the hotel. The suites are the best value, with lots...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed for one night on the 26th march. Room was in the new part of the building and was down a long corridor which looked out on to the bins!the room was comfortable but the decor basic. Had we been staying for longer i would have asked to be moved.Went to the spa for treatments which I had booked in advance to be told that the hot stone massage was not available as the "pot"was broken. Was quite disappointed but not a lot I could do. Was offered a back shoulder and neck massage which I must say was fantastic.our evening meal was very good but breakfast was disappointing. Coffee was lukewarm and we could not get anyone's attention to reorder a fresh pot. Gave up trying as my husband did not want to make a fuss. Would go back again but this time ask for a room in the main building

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I have spoken with the hotel and regrettably on the day of your visit the stone heater broke and whilst this was replaced the next day I regret we were unable to offer you the hot stone therapy. Perhaps on your next visit you could mention this to Vanessa when you book treatments and subject to availability enjoy this treatment with our compliments.

No excuse for lukewarm coffee, sorry and it is a shame as we would have replaced it immediately without question.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest

David

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Booked this Hotel for a brief one night romantic stay with my wife. We chose it based on location and Pool facility. The Hotel is well located for walking in the mountains, and was the only one available with a pool. We thought it would be well worth the £95 per night fee.

On arrival, the Hotel looked great, covered in snow. The receptionist and other staff were all friendly and welcomming. We decided to go straight for a swim after a long journey. The pool was too cold to stay in for more than a few minutes, and the Jacuzzi never worked when more than 2 people were in it, which was always! What a let down! We gave up on that, a main factor in our Hotel choice! We went back to our room.

This was also disappointing. It resembled a tired B & B room from 20 years ago. The TV was on a stand low to the floor. The kettle was positioned nowhere near a plug socket. Worst of all was the shower. After waiting about 10mins, the trickle was warm enough! On a positive, the room was very warm, enough to keep our bedroom window open all night with snow falling! We did get a good nights sleep however, although perhaps that was helped by alcohol! The Bar was inviting and had a good atmosphere.

Breakfast was also dissapointing. I understood when booking that there was an extra charge for a cooked breakfast. After staying here I think thats disgraceful. I think you should get a cooked breakfast, lunch and evening meal all included in the asking price!!! The buffet breakfast was basic with stale croissants.

Overall, an average Hotel in a great location. Well overpriced and in desperate need of an upgrade. I would happily pay half the price to stay here again.

Enjoy the corridors!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roy125
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you felt the hotel was over priced. You later in your review state that you felt the price should have included dinner and breakfast, but I believe the price you purchased at clearly stated what was included and I am pleased you enjoyed the bar and the food. It is perhaps worth mentioning that despite the hotels remote location is runs at virtually full throughout the year and most of our guests do feel that we offer value for money for a small hotel

The hotel has always served and included in the price a very extensive breakfast buffet with a small supplement [slightly more than the cost of a MacDonalds breakfast] if you want a cooked breakfast and this seems to satisfy the vast majority of our guests. The inclusive breakfast price includes teas, coffees, juices, cereals, compotes, fruit, yogurts, waffles and a wide selection of bread, bagels etc to toast and preserves.

On a different note I am sorry that a boiler failure meant that the pool was cooler than we like, but obviously this was outside of our control, and this has now been replaced by a new boiler. Our bedrooms are very different and are probably best described as quirky, and I am sorry if they were not to your taste, but glad you were warm on a snowy night.

I do hope you will use Nant Ddu again.

Have a lovely Easter

Kindest regards

David

Reviewed March 16, 2013

spent a night to include a spa package with 3 others which we all enjoyed ,treatments very relaxing,lovely pool,sauna,etc,
evening meal great choice ,I.d recommend the lamb,!
Plenty of choice for breakfast & the lunch menu was really good.
Peaceful setting & able to chill so would go again .

Room Tip: quieter rooms at back ,new part of lodge
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cwmtaf
Peterstone Court Hotel
Travelodge Merthyr Tydfil
Travelodge Merthyr Tydfil
#1 of 3 in Merthyr Tydfil
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!