“Disappointing service and no response to complaints”

Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cwmtaf
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times, it has become a bit of a tradition to stay there for my girlfriend's birthday each year. Normally I can't say enough good things about it and would recommend it to anyone, especially the food, but after our last stay I'm totally disappointed and will be finding somewhere different to stay in 2013.
I'll try and keep the problems to the point:
- No hot water in our room, waited over an hour in total, calling reception several times to be told it would be warm soon. They even suggested we used the changing room showers instead! Not what I'd paid so much money for.
- Due to the shower saga we were later getting down for food than we'd have liked, and were starving. The service was unusually appalling, several times I had to go to the bar to remind them to take an order or to find where our drinks had gone. I'm all for decent food taking a while to cook, but an hours wait for our main with no explanation or apology is too much. We didn't eat until 9.45pm. By the time we had dessert the restaurant was empty and the staff were laying the breakfast tables around us! On the plus side, the lamb was great.
- Having had so many good experiences at the hotel, I sent an email to complain after our stay with the expectation that the management would be concerned about losing longstanding customers. 3 months later and I still have no response, which is very disappointing.

It's frustrating to have spent so much money for a birthday gift only for it to have so many problems and spoil the occasion.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oliver W
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

I am really so sorry to hear that your recent stay did not go according to plan and I hope you will accept mu apologies. Water is an intermittent issue and seems to be caused by fluctuating supply from the mains which runs past the hotel and means that at times the hotel has an issue replenishings its tanks. We are addressing this by massively increasing our holding capacity on site.

The other issues you raised are unacceptable and I am truly sorry.

I do hope you will use Nant Ddu again and if I could ask you to contact Adrian and Vanessa when you book we will provide a complimentary upgrade [subject to availability] a bottle of fizz and a return to the standards more usually associated withy us.

There are newer reviews for Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Nant Ddu Lodge is located in the foothills of the Brecon Beacons and has a well-equipped spa [sauna, steam-room, pool & Jacuzzi] and gym. The location, spa, various bars and snugs and a superb restaurant, make this a perfect venue to base yourself for a walking break in mid-Wales, or so you'd think.......

Staff: We received a warm welcome from the hotel staff, who remained superbly efficient and accommodating throughout our 3-day stay.

Bedrooms: The bedrooms looked a little 'tired' and much of the older portion of the hotel could do with a 'refresh. However, I appreciate that's easier said than done in a busy location, which this hotel undoubtedly is. However, taking each room off-line in turn could achieve some noticeable improvement.

Food: The choice and standard of food in the restaurant was superb and dinner was a real pleasure. However, the cooked breakfast came at a supplement, ranging from £3.50 - £5.00, to the normal B&B rate and is something that I wouldn't expect in a £95 per night hotel in mid-Wales.

Facilities - Spa: The hotel's excellent Spa and gym was very popular with hotel residents, spa-package guests and local spa members; as a consequence the facilities available (including the limited loungers, sofas and changing room lockers) were quickly used up.

Facilities - Internet: Wifi [limited bandwidth] was available in much of the front portion of the hotel with nil/unreliable reception elsewhere - this is an easily, and cheaply, resolved limitation and one should really be addressed by hotel management to support today's guests.

WATER!!!: Without doubt the most serious issue is the lack of mains water-pressure at the Lodge - the flow is pitiful, so much so that the 'shower attachment' on our bath had insufficient pressure to generate a shower 5 feet off the ground. The water pressure also meant that filling a bath took 20mins and the hot water often ran out before the bath filled - this is a serious issue for a hotel located in an area where guests will spend hours walking in the muddy Brecon hills. The Hotel's literature mentions the latter hot-water problem, but fails to mention the low-water pressure - and hotel staff confirmed that this was an enduring problem and suggested taking our morning shower in the spa rather than our room.

I didn't set out to make this a negative review, but that's how it probably now reads, and I'm not sure that this is an unfair assessment of our stay. We left our 3-night stay, including 3 days of hard walking, feeling a little-disappointed and, dare I say it, a little cheated. The location and facilities offered by the Nant Ddu Lodge mean that it is rarely going to be short of guests...maybe this fact alone has led to a little complacency?

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer portion of the hotel may have better water pressure (although I'm not sure th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PinkyR
LHMS, CEO of lester Hotels at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you so much for your review which I think was a very accurate summation of the hotel and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Wi fi as you say is available in part of the hotel includiing the public areas and we are looking to extend this during some refurbishment works we commence later this month. At the same time we intend to increase the water holding capacity for the hotel which we hope will resolve the intermittent issues with water issues which result from problems outside of our land/property which means that at times the flow of replenishing water into our property is reduced through no fault of ours. Whilst we would naturally have hoped to have addresed this sooner, it has been difficult to "pin down" an engineer and get a definite solution. Every option is coupled with caveats, so we are taking a leap of faith to try and sort this out by dramatically increasing our water holding capacity at great expense. but we feel this is worth it.

We are going through each room making improvements, and you are right with the hotel being so busy it is difficult to take rooms off. Many of the improvements we make like the £300,000 state of the art sewerage treatment plant go un noticed, but are none the less essential.

Historically the hotel has always charged for a cooked breakfast and this charge is lower than that at a Little Chef, and about the same as many supermarket restaurants charge. The reason is simply that the vast majority of the thousands of guests who stay each year are more than happy with the included spread we put out which includes, cereals, fruit, compotes. yoghurts, selection of breads,bagels, hot waffles with syrup, hard boiled aggs, fruit juices, selection of teas and coffess etc.

The hotel is not busy because of its location......we are situated miles from anywhere and just outside Merthyr Tydfil which is hardly renown as a centre of affluence. We serve thousands of meals each week to non residents who travel from far and wide quite simply because they like what the team are doing at Nant Ddu.

Complacent? Perish the thought, but yes we are proud of our team and what they do, and apologies for those bits we have still to get right.........and yes we will.

Happy New year.

Kindest regards

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Lovely gem of hotel, so close to brecons.
Restaurant is amazing.
We came, hiked, jacuzzi'd, sauna'd, massaged, ate and slept. Heaven
Look about for deals on this hotel, this will be the spa hotel i come to every time.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We took advantage of a 'great little break' at this welsh gem of a hotel. The deal included bed, breakfast, use of the spa, £25 towards a three course evening meal and free entry into Penderyn distillery (all for £49.50 per head). My brother had raved about the food and we were not to be dissapointed. The food was superb. The restaurant and bar were buzzing with life and loads of Christmas parties were taking place. Streamers and crackers adorned the restaurant areas.
The room was very simple and our view was over a flat roof, however, the bed was so comfy and the hotel very quiet. Continental breakfast was ample for me and my other half had eggs and bacon at a small extra cost. The pool and jacuzzi were great and very quiet. We found the steam room and sauna too hot!
Well done the Nant Ddu, we will certainly be back and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

So pleased you enjoyed your stay. Have a great Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2013.

Kindest regards

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked a room for the weekend as a base for walking on the Brecon Beacon and was not disappointed. As you walk in a black board said "a warm welcome" and that is exactly what I got throughout the weekend. Staff were always friendly and helpful; eat in restuarant both nights and was not disappointed.

I stayed in room 301 above the bar - which according to others is tired and smells - but there was no smell and it was absolutely fine. It's a twin room, but I was on my own, so was happy with it and had been told when booking (24 hours beforehand).

I have not stayed in The Brecons before so have nothing to compare the Nant Ddu Lodge, but I regularly stay in hotels across the UK and this was great, location was fantastic as you I not even 5 minutes from the bottom of Pen Y Fan.

Oh! ... had the Slow roast Welsh Lamb on Sunday and it was excellent, melt in your mouth!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Having passed this place many times while travelling through the 'Brecon Beacon's', a hotel/spa in stunning surroundings, we decided to give it a try. So very glad we did, it's a wonderful place. On arrival we were given an automatic upgrade to a suite (always a good start), shown personally to our door, while pointing out where everything was. The room itself was so unique, very warm & welcoming, a cosy bathroom, & a sitting room, this in itself is worthy of 5*. The spa was lovely, just enough & very relaxing, slight moan as the whirlpool didn't have much pressure, upon asking we were told it was due to the water pressure in the area, this is understandable, but maybe it could be changed, something that would cope with the problem of water pressure perhaps? Not normally a big worry, but my partner had been looking forward especially to this as the main reason we decided to stay away was for my partner to relax his injured back, just bad timing. We sat in one of the many beautifully decorated rooms for a drink while waiting for dinner, you are spoilt for choice with different eating & drinking area's, coal effect fires, wooden chairs to big soft armchairs, each with a different ambiance. Dinner was delicious, good value & delightfully served. Every single member of staff were friendly & helpful, nothing ever seemed too much for them, it is beautifully run, something I find, unfortunately a bit of a rarity in all of the hotel's I've stayed at!!
I have stayed at many hotels & honestly, I have to say Nant Ddu lodge is probably my new favourite. I hugely recommend staying here, but at the very least stop by for the wonderful food!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarah t
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Never stayed the night. Had some lovely food good service and friendly staff. Try the prawn cocktail! Main meal was a chicken supreme. In my opinion some dishes are worth the price but others are over priced £16 for trout. Would dine there again

• Stayed: July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cwmtaf
Castle of Brecon
#1 of 3 in Crickhowell
Travelodge Merthyr Tydfil
Travelodge Merthyr Tydfil
#1 of 3 in Merthyr Tydfil

Been to Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!