Open today: 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM

Brilliant day out

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
laub1985
via mobile

All reviews steam museum pant station return journey narrow gauge gift shop great trip main station take photos beautiful scenery min stop viewing area enjoyable trip steam train ride minute break half way train trip small museum
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was an amazing day out, beautiful scenery and a great experience. The staff members were kind and helpful and recommended a 2 hour walk to some waterfalls at the first stop. The walk was beautiful and if you like walking there are plenty of good walks to go on at the stops. Thanks BMR for a great day

1  Thank laub1985
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Being new to the area we are following tourist attractions recommended by many. This railway trip is great for dogs too since they can sit with us in the carriage and see the beautiful scenery too. Staff were friendly and I'd happily do this trip again.

2  Thank ElizaberthR
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked my tickets for myself and Marley my dog online and when I reached the railway, was greeted by a rather sullen man who did not speak at all. As I was early I thought I would get a coffee, and was sat in the cafe drinking it, when approached by one of the assistants to be told that I could not take my dog in there.

The trip itself was lovely despite the rain showers and there are some beautiful views from the train as it makes its way up the mountain. But if you are a single traveller with a dog, you are not able to enter the gift shop, museum or any of the cafes with your dog, which made for a long day without food.

I love visiting steam railways but was disappointed that some much of railway was off limits to visitors with dogs, especially as in the carriage I was in there were three dogs with owners. So many other railway companies allow dogs in their museums and shops, it seems a great pity that this one shouldn't.

3  Thank Jane H
Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

Went on a Wednesday around mid September with family. The weather was good and we enjoyed the 1 and half hr roundtrip in the steam train. The train and coaches were very well maintained. We had packed lunch and the nice staff at the ticket counter pointed us to a good set of picnic tables near the platform. The views during the ride are excellent, there is a 15 mins stop on the way back at a cafe, the cafe also has soft play area which my son enjoyed.

Reviewed October 5, 2018 via mobile

The Brecon Mountain Railway (BMR) experience lasts for 90 minutes at its minimum; a half hour trip up the valley, and a half hour back down, with a half hour break halfway where you can buy light refreshments and see the steam engine museum.
The main feature of the BMR experience is the fact that it runs on a narrow gauge rail system, about 2 feet (60 mm) wide. The carriages are quite small, and a guard makes departure and arrival announcements over the tannoy.
If you want to explore (on foot) the countryside at the furthest point of the trip, this can be accommodated by informing the guard and making sure you get back to the picking up point before its last scheduled return trip.
At the main entrance/exit to the site is a cafe, an engine workshop and a souvenir shop.
On a rainy day I should imagine that the whole experience would be a rather drab one.

Reviewed October 5, 2018

Visiting on a term-time Wednesday morning, it wasn't too busy. I'm not sure whether I could justify the expense had it been raining but for our visit the weather was perfect. The café at Pant was small but well-formed, the loos were clean and you could observe goings-on inside the workshop while awaiting the first train service.

The train ride was no more than half an hour each way, with an extra stop on the way back which was definitely worthwhile. There are gorgeous views of the Beacons, reservoirs, valleys and forest, and I recommend standing on the carriage-end platforms during the journey for added rattle-and-roll atmosphere; it's all perfectly safe.

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

Had a nice day however it’s so busy so travel light! Dogs are allowed on the train, but even though I am a dog person the train just isn’t big enough for dogs and some took up valuable seating! Sadly our family had to split up because of this and were in different carriages!

1  Thank Kimberley D
Reviewed September 23, 2018

not really a mountain railway and not much to see .tea and coffee overpriced and the women with the tattoos on her arms in the halfway up cafe was misserable and rude as sin

4  Thank janeady
Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful trip through very pretty countryside and past a large lake on a well kept steam trains- thoroughly enjoyable for all ages.

Reviewed September 22, 2018

Nice road trip from Swansea to Pant, very scenic. Huge car park at the station, good cafe for a light snack. Rail carriages not the most comfortable, but exactly as expected. Very interesting journey very good for camera buffs!!!!!!! Good afternoon outing.