See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

Attended a family event here. First impressions not great with its faded 1970s facade and continued run-down 1970s decor throughout complete with fag butts trodden into the rug in reception and duct tape holding the stair carpet together.

The 2/5 food hygiene rating precluded actually eating anything on the buffet and some of it looked a bit unappetising - luminous coronation chicken for one and something that looked like a cross between trifle and crumble for another.

Although, fag trodden rug aside, the hotel does not appear particularly unclean and the staff were nice enough and appeared to be trying their best unfortunately the buildings facilities and decor is just too outdated to be taken seriously as an event venue let alone a 3 star hotel which it claims to be. The story around town is that they rent rooms by the hour here and judging by some of the ‘residents’ we encountered this appears to be true. It says a lot when there has to be signs up telling people not to write or draw on the corridor walls! Also unlucky anyone staying on the first floor who actually wanted to sleep as due to the insanely poor design of the building the noise from the disco in the function room booms out down the corridors.

Full disclosure - we did accidentally stay a night here a few years back and given that the public areas of the hotel have not improved since then one can only assume that the bedrooms have remained firmly in their threadbare-carpeted, lumpy-mattressed timewarp, an assumption bourne out by the pictures on their own website. I just hope no-one takes their websites schpeel about how modern and comfortable the hotel is seriously!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
castlestreet, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. My sincerest apologies about your experience. Please be assured we do take all comments very seriously and have recently started to refurbish our hotel.
I hope you will be back in the future to see the improvements for yourself.
Thank you again for your comments.

Kind Regards,
Jessica

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Was going to bike park Wales , and needed a room for the night. Needed a hotel that was bike friendly. Castle hotel seemed to fit the bill. Got near hotel in car , at first didn't know they had no parking of their own , i found a place to pull over and phone them , was told to phone back later, wasn't impressed , I gave them 60seconds and called them back, asked about parking was informed they had none , but said people park in multistorey carpark close by. Got around to multistorey carpark but due to entrance height was impossible to get in with bike on top. Luckily there was a small open carpark , so parked there and took bike to hotel , after having a few words with person on desk and booking in ,they took my bike to a room they said they keep all bikes , then i went to move car and get all my kit , a bit of a pain really. On getting back to hotel with my kit , I found room to be okay , it was clean , had a TV and free wi-fi ,which was good , but the bed wasn't that comfortable , as could feel the springs. All in all the hotel was okay , but due to their lack of parking and fact that only options for parking are in a open carpark without any security cameras that i could see or park in a multistorey carpark that locks its doors from 8pm - 6am , but people could still get in by going under entrance gate.So I'd say its ideal if you don't have a car or if you don't mind the hassle and risk of parking in non hotel carparks.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear r35skyline,

Thank you very much for your comments. My apologies that you were not informed about the parking facilities however we do clearly state on our website and all third party sites that we do not provide parking on our premises.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Jessica

Reviewed August 7, 2018

Hi,
Staying three nights in Castle Hotel was a nice experience. We felt similar comfort like our own house. The location was very convenient, the staffs were very helpful, the rooms were very organized and the facilities worth the money. We must recommend this hotel.

Room tip: Excellent location
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind words and high scores. I am so glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that all facilities and services offered have been to your satisfaction. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future. Kind Regards, Jessica

Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

The Castle Hotel Merthyr Tydfil is a lovely place to stay.
During my last visit they were undergoing some major refurbishments which did not affect my stay.
Staff are helpful and the food and entertainment is excellent.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo

Reviewed June 12, 2018

I Had a nice stay in Castle Hotel in Merthyr , staff very helpful , very friendly , room very tidy and clean ,comfortable bed. We had a meal in restaurant and food was excellent all fresh food and the service from the staff was wonderful . The breakfast really good .I will recommend this place very good value .
I will stay again