“Not as bad as many of the reviews make out”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Merthyr Tydfil
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed for two nights with several colleagues as we were attending a conference held almost opposite the hotel and we had arranged the conference dinner here too.
After reading many of the reviews I was quite apprehensive but although there are things which could (and should) be improved, overall I thought it wasn't too bad.
It's an unattractive 1970s building so first impressions aren't very good and the lack of parking except in the car park over the road is a disadvantage but once I got inside it was better than I had been expecting.

Minus points:
Only two power points to plug the kettle, phone charger, laptop etc. into and these were on the floor.
NO pressure in the shower and water temperature fluctuated between cold and boiling. It wouldn't cost a great deal to replace these totally inadequate showers with electric ones which would be much more reliable.
Hot tap in the basin was very loose and I had to hold it with one hand and turn it with the other to use it
No hairdryer in the room though one was available at reception - 3* should have them as standard and they are not expensive to provide
No drinking glasses in the room, even plastic ones or tooth mugs & I don't like drinking water straight from the bottle

Plus points:
The room was large and the bed very comfortable. The decoration was a bit dated but I've seen a lot worse!
Food was OK, including dinner both nights. I'd have liked to see fruit, yoghurt etc. offered at breakfast as well as proper orange juice (with real glasses) but the cooked breakfast was fine - well cooked and good quantities.
Free WIFI which worked without any problems was an additional bonus.
My impression of the bar prices were that they were very reasonable for a hotel.
The staff were generally friendly and helpful, though I was a bit taken aback to be asked to pay for the room on arrival - not usual practice in hotels.
As many other people have remarked, it was quite noisy though most of the noise came from outside in what is after all a town centre, so not the hotel's fault.
Overall, it was a pleasant enough stay, and not nearly as bad as I was expecting from some of the reviews.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank haslucks

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Depending on the day you can get a room here pretty cheap and you can check in til late in the night! They do have a bar but it's pricey!The rooms are basic but pretty clean! It's a good location if your staying in Merthyr on want somewhere you can catch a bus or train to Cardiff cheaply! The bus station is right opposite the hotel!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The pluses of this admittedly rather strange establishment are strong. It is very, very cheap. The breakfast, while simple, was really nice, and I mean really nice - bacon and egg are not easy to mess up but plenty hotels manage; Castle Hotel gave me a proper tasty breakfast and as much of it as I wanted. My room was clean and comfortable. Wi fi was free - and that's a big plus. There was a proper bath in the en suite and there was unlimited very hot water. There was a telly. And it is bang in the middle of town, practically next to the railway station. So what's the problem?

Well, the trouble is that it is run down and "tired." It is also understaffed and felt like the Marie Caleste. There was a kind of echoing empty vastness about it. It did not feel like a vibrant confident establishment. It felt like it had a great past but wasn't sure of the future.

Overall, I have given this a 'Very Good' because for what I paid - £44 inc breakfast - it was really very good indeed. But I'm not sure it's all that far above a really nice youth hostel. Needs to decide what it wants to do. If they want to provide good quality cheapo cheapo accommodation, they can certainly do that but I am not sure it is really a hotel.

Room Tip: I had no complaints.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JoefromPartick
279PaulaS, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

This is not Castle House Hotel Hereford but the Castle Hotel in Merthyr Tydfil Wales which has nothing whatsoever to do with us!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a trip to the Brecon Beacons. We stayed in a 'family room' on the third floor.

Obviously this hotel has been around for some time; the building isn't the most attractive. We pulled up out front as we were unsure where parking was, and entered reception. The very first thing we all noticed is that the guy who appeared to serve us DID NOT SAY HELLO. DID NOT WELCOME US. DID NOT ASK IF WE NEEDED HELP. DID NOT SHOW US TO OUR ROOM. He just handed me the key like, "Alright?" and I had to prompt him to gather any more information, like about the parking; which is a Pay & Display across the road. Free after 6pm and on Sundays. So, first impressions - unfriendly staff.

We got to our room after riding in the rickety lift with the broken floor. It was dated. And freezing! They had left the windows open, which we promptly closed. The place still didn't warm up though, and there was no heating. We had to put an extra blanket on the bed. The fire alarm was hanging from the ceiling. The furniture was cracked. The beds were creaky, stiff and uncomfortable. One of the sink taps was broken (thankfully still functioning). The UHT milk provided for the tea was by far the worst I've ever tasted; I literally couldn't drink it. I don't usually have a problem with UHT milk, so I felt compelled to check the 'best before' dates on them, just to make sure these weren't from the 1970s too. From a hotel in Britain, you'd expect more. ;) Probably the only good things about the room were:
1) the shower emitted hot water
2) there was a flatscreen TV with freeview channels

We didn't try the hotel breakfast. We discovered a Wetherspoons nearby, and they do a better variety of breakfast for a cheaper price.

The location was decent, town centre, close to the Brecon Beacons, next to a Wetherspoons pub. This and the price were the main selling factors for me. So I'd say it was very good value for money; we really only needed a place to sleep that was close to where we wanted to be. But for anyone looking for anything more than that; go elsewhere.

I'm a budget traveller, rarely ever staying in anything beyond a 3 star hotel, hostelling when I can. That said, of all the places I've ever stayed, the Castle Hotel was definitely on the lower end of the scale. I award it 2 stars.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Rude, unhelpful, abrupt, dated, neglected rooms, what more can I say.... They need to interview for new staff with good customer service... won't book my relations in there again. Everything was to much trouble.. The hotel it's self needs a face lift... On the plus side close to train and bus station...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dewi W

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Reception staff were ignorant and unhelpful, manager was unavailable, they get you to pay on arrival don't do this as once you see room you wont stay,our room was stale and smelly, broken wall lights ,broken and stained ceiling tiles, toiletries in bathroom from last occupant, toilet seat old and very chipped, bath old and stained couldn't use it, furniture old didn't match handles were broken on furniture and inside wardrobe was filthy, a leg on chair was broken, a door handle was broken, the door to room had big holes where new locks had been fitted to it several times, my son has sever eczema and needs daily baths he would off got infected skin if he had bathed in that , carpet and ornaments in corridor were filthy, lights kept dim here hoping you don't see it , we were refused a refund or discount should off stayed 2 nights but only managed one and had I off had I choicevi wouldnt off done that one

Room Tip: Inspect your room before you pay as refund was refused to us after we paid
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank susannoonan21
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I happened to stay there in abnormally hot conditions in July, probably absolutely exceptional for Wales, and it simply was not OK. There is no air-con, which is fully understandable, this is not Andalucia, but the mad 1960s architecture transforms the hotel in a greenhouse in summer conditions. Getting asleep was not easy ! In more ordinary conditions, it should be a nice place : the room is very big and the prices reasonable for this level of quality.

Restaurant is best forgotten, service is nice and professional, breakfast is decent.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crickhowell
Ty Newydd Country Hotel

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!