“I've stepped back in time, a bad time!”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Merthyr Tydfil
Reviewed March 15, 2013

What first got me slightly annoyed was the lack of any parking, the only pay and display was closed for works, this isn't staffs fault though and even they were a bit miffed.
As soon as I booked in at reception I had a strong inclination of what the rest of the hotel would be like, dated, grubby and not a place I was going to eat in.
The carpets in the hallways are quite dirty and could do with a good clean, the lift doors looked like someone had spilt or 'brought up' something on them and I really didn't want what ever that stain was near my bags.... The door to my room was dirty and oily and had several patched repairs over the Yale lock where various locks had been replaced.

The Room:
Well, freezing cold, I mean freezing cold. I turned the thermostat up on the radiator and lest for half an hour for the room to warm up as I was not having a shower and sitting in an icy room for an hour. After I'd walked around the sad and dilapidated town complete with fat, tacksuit wearing chavs swigging cans of lager on the streets, I now it was ok to decided to go in for a shower. The room was a bit warmer but would never get warm as the frigid air that whistled through the windows would ensure my room would remain like the inside of a cheap Beko fridge-freezer. The room was clean and the sheets on the bed crisp and white, OK, things are looking up!
The furniture was cheap and was poorly built but the bed was firm and very comfortable but the swags and tails curtains, burgandy furniture and wallpaper gave some real clues to when the hotel was furnished, somewhere in the mid 80's, my nan would have loved it!
The bathroom was probably refurbished a few years ago and wasn't too bad, clean but cracked bath, clean shower curtain and clean sanitary ware. The actual shower was a horror, the shower head sprayed more water sideways than down onto me and was just luke warm but within a minute I was boiled alive be a jet of lava cascading onto me! I reached for the cold tap but the useless and non matching crown fell off into the bath and onto may foot! RAAAAH!!! I had to leap out of the bath onto the freezing cold tiled floor and turn off the water, retrieve the mismatched tap head and start all over again...
The TV was a recent Logik flat screen sat on an old fashioned cataliver bracket that wobbled if I went near it and the TV was not fixed to the bracket in any way. The electrics were horrifying, they had plugged an extension lead into the only wall socket and the wire went inside the vanity unit and into a brass plated, surface mounted dual gang socket, the socket was mounted directly on top of the vanity unit rendering the spare port completely useless. TV or laptop? well laptop as I wanted to get some work done!

In the morning I went to the restaurant and pretty much walked straight out again, dirty carpets, dated furniture and grubby wall paper and curtains, the menu prices are very reasonable but looking at the food on offer I could see why the food is cheap.

The staff were very polite and very helpful, the staff are the jewel in the crown in what is a bit of dump, I almost felt sorry for them as they clearly deserved to work somewhere better maintained. I think that's the main problem with The Castle Hotel, apart from the dated looks and shabby furniture its the poor maintenance of the place, it looks like some old odd job man is bodging jobs just to keep the place alive.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank mark a
279PaulaS, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

This is not Castle House Hotel Hereford but the Castle Hotel in Merthyr Tydfil Wales which has nothing whatsoever to do with us!

There are newer reviews for Castle Hotel

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We needed a place to crash on our way to walk the Brecon Beacons. Otherwise there isnt really a reason to stop in Merthyr Tydfill. I mean its a nice town but the fact that we saw two drunken brawls, got insulted by louts and all within 20m of the hotel entrance leads me to believe that this wasnt a great location.

The hotel itself was dated. It wasnt very clean and the restaurant was lousy. Having said that, the staff were very nice and helpful people. It did feel like they didnt really want to be there either.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel after a Google search for hotel accommodation. In or around the Merthyr area. As was traveling with my elderly father to attend his brothers funeral. Received an e-mail, within a few minutes, for confirmation of reservation. Including my dietary request for Gluten free meals. Booked two double rooms/single occupants
Both my father & myself were delighted with our welcome. Girl on reception was very friendly & even assisted us with our bags. My father is of poor health & I was very grateful for her assistance. Hotel has a lift to all floors. Corridors & doorways are wide. Rooms were surprisingly spacious, lovely & warm & beds were very comfortable. Extra pillows plus a blanket were available. As was a fan for each room. Being a lady of a "certain age" & asthmatic. The fan was a welcome addition. We had our breakfasts & evening meals at the hotel. Good range of cereals, plus full English breakfast. Fruit juice tea & coffee available. Plus refills if desired. Evening meal menu had good range of choices. Beautifully cooked, as were vegetables. Good portion size. Can highly recommend their curry!
Will certainly return here.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is an absolute disgrace. Decor is awful,dirty,shabby,the bed hard and most uncomfortable. The place reeks of cigarette smoke and also the room smelt very musty and the whole place is run down and in need of a complete refurbishment. I'd like to know who gave it a 3 Star rating and when,as they obviously need to visit an optician. I remember this hotel in the 1980's when it was immaculate and THE place to stay,but now it's just a complete disgrace,sorry but that's a truthful,honest opinion,checked out early,the current owner has run the place into the ground,a real shame,for what used to be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gill F
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Castle Hotel for one night and my advice for anybody thinking about staying there is don't. Their is no private parking for cars and you park on the street at your own risk. There are smoking and non-smoking rooms. We stayed in a non-smoking room and it was like stepping back to the 1970s. Our room had wood flooring instead of carpet. The furniture was of second hand quality and in poor condition. The walls were covered in tacky wallpaper that looked like it was from the scrap bin of B&Q. The bed was like laying on a piece of MDF wood and I got absolutely no sleep. I actually woke up with sore shoulders after sleeping on the this worthless bed. The RAC rated this hotel as three stars, how is beyond me. It should be rated -3 stars and you should be paid to stay in this worthless hotel. This hotel may at one time been a grand lady but no more. Avoid this hotel at all costs! You have been warned.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Travlinyank

Reviewed February 25, 2013

we stayed at this hotel to take part in a charity challenge, which is idealy located for the brecon beacons, we hiked up pen y fan, its location is perfect for local shops and pubs theres also a realy good market through the town centre on saturday, the staff were fantastic, they couldnt do enough for us, one of the porters even gave us a tour around town to show us where everything was located.the only downside was the noise from the party people on friday and saturday night, the windows need updating to double glazzing.

Room Tip: if possibe ask for a room away from the main street.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Hotel had no private parking as it says it was just a pay and display car park down the road. I paid cash on arrival and was given change from the mans pocket and not given a reciept. The decor was dated and grubbie! The rooms and hall ways smelt of stale smoke and were dull. The door frame looked like it had been forced a few times. The room was a good size but the floors were stained and the lighting was dull. The bathroom was unclean and the water for the shower got very hot and the cold tap handle fell off. There was alot of noise in the night from other rooms and no information in the room on how to contact reception so had to call hotel from my mobile. We were due to stay for 2 nights but checked out without breakfast at 8am the next day after having no sleep!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

#1 of 1 in Dowlais
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Ty Newydd Country Hotel
Best Western Pontypool Metro Hotel

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!