“Very disappointing”
Review of Tregenna Hotel

Tregenna Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Merthyr Tydfil
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The place needs a face lift - it is all very dated. We could have coped with that but it was also not very clean. It could have been a much better experience if it was clean! The water wasn't hot. Little things like tea bags not being replaced and the teapot not being emptied and the bed not being made and the TV not working and the WIFI not working didn't help. Breakfast was very good and we did eat in the 'restaurant' on our first night and the food was OK - but it just didn't feel clean. We did let the receptionist know our opinion as we left and she promised to ring us at home after speaking to the manager but she didn't. We won't be going there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CTLeamington

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was a disappointing hotel with a small highlight in that the food was good when it finally arrived. On arrival the receptionist seemed surprised by my arrival and on looking at my booking details seemed even more confused. I was issued a single room with en suite and told "top of stairs on right," no offer to help with bags or any other information given other than restaurant is open now..Reception area untidy, very dated dark carpet and yellow aged wall paint, which i suppose, was once white. Lots of out of date momentos in a display case and a bit creepy really. Rooms very close together with thin walls. On opening the room door the overwhelming theme was out of date, unloved and lack of attention to anything let alone detail. Room smelled slightly of stale sweat and carpet and curtains were both covered in dirty stains of unknown origin. Furniture was mismatched and although the duvet and sheets were clean the bed required attention as springs were coming through. TV was small and did work unlike in other reviews but this was as long as you could overlook a TV remote that had no buttons to speak of as they seem to have been chewed off. Room hair dryer looked like it came from a 1940's TV ad I seriously doubt it had been PAT tested in recent times. The same goes for the Radio/Clock set up which was seriously out of date and looked scarily dangerous with some dented and broken plastic type case. There was no bedside lamp or any working electrical switch to turn the light off at nigh time so it meant a walk along the pitch black room to find the bed. Hotel seemed very quiet so no disturbance during the night. Worst element of the room was the lack of hot water, reported to reception who were a best mildly disinterested and said it would come back on in a minute. Room door was also on a seriously taught door closer and when through the door it slammed shut with a huge bang. No problem to me but I am not sure other resident would have been to pleased when i left my room at 6.30 for breakfast!
The highlight was free wifi although this was not ever mentioned to me and I had to find it myself. NO welcome pack or guest information in the room at all
The restaurant for dinner and breakfast was also dark and dingy and very dated. Service was slow BUT and this is a plus when the food arrived it was really very good indeed.
Final issue came at check out time, my room was booked through a booking agent who send very clear details of payment and food allowances. Reception clearly did not understand this and were reticent to let me check out until I had paid the bill. Finally solved by showing them a copy of the email they are sent but had clearly not checked..
In all a hotel that has not been loved or cared about for a long time. Too many issues to be recommended and I would never stay there again. EVER!

Room Tip: Don't choose one! Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank barringtoncoupons
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed in the hotel due to its convenient location to the Merthyr Rock music festival, and it soon became apparent on arrival that we shouldn't have.....There are so many negatives about the accommodation that it is embarassing to list them all, however people should know what they are getting when booking here:

1) Room door didnt lock - staff seemed confused as to why this was an issue and just suggested moving valuables into our friend's room. The door was never fixed as there was no member of staff who could fix it.......!?!

2) Dirt - the rooms were dirty, with thick layers of dust covering most surfaces, the sheets were dirty, the spare bed was badly stained, the walls were stained.

3) TV - didnt work.

4) Furniture - when a draw was opened the front of it fell right off. Desk was badly damaged.

5) Bathroom - on arrival there was a very large 'puddle' of water on the floor which we believe was rain water coming through the rotten sky light which wouldnt close.

6) Hot water - had to wait 5 minutes every day for a trickle of the hot/warm stuff.....

7) Breakfast - despite the awful table settings (which had no seating configuration to seat 4 people, despite us being the only people at breakfast!?!) was acceptable. Good to see a vege option.....

8) Attention to detail - we stayed in room "15" which had "5" on the door..... despite not being able to detail the room number accurately, they were able to clearly identify the wardrobe with a big "WARDROBE" sign on the wardrobe door, Just in case you were in any doubt as to why there was a rail and hangers in there? Pointless and baffling.......

9)Decor - lets just say that "dated" would be something for Treganna to strive for......

All in all a truly awful experience.

Room Tip: Choose rooms at other hotels
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank andyprio78
Reviewed August 31, 2012

stayed last night , first time for about a year, I used to stay here all the time and I gather that its changed hands.
Room was filthy, bath full of hairs as was sink. Room dusty and not clean.
TV didnt work neither did radio.

I arrived after a full day and 8 hrs driving so didnt want to leave and look elsewhere,
Bar service - the barman tried his best and was pleasent enough, although all draft beer and lager was rubbish - ended up drinking cans of beer, never done that in a hotel before.
Had a sandwich when I arrived - it was terrible so left most of it and ate out at night.

I wont be going back to this place ever again - and thats from a customer who has stayed here maybe over 50 times !

Room Tip: choose another hotel to get a good room !
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisSofad1992
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was really dissapointed when we arrived at the Hotel. We had 3 rooms booked, 2 of which were chalets in the car park while the other was in the Hotel. The room was grubbby with marks on the carpets and dirty kettle and mirror. The bathroom was filty, hairs all over the tiles around the bath and floor and the bin and toilet brush holder looked like they hadnt been cleaned for months, The radiator in the bathroom was covered with splatters of what looked like blood although my daughter assured me it looked more like coffee. I thought the bedding and towels seemed fresh and clean although today both myself and my husband have bites on our legs. Breakfast was okay but I have to say that the whole experience was spiolt by the lack of attention to detail with cleanliness and the whole place needs tome TLC and money spent on it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I found this hotel to be very tired-looking and some areas verging on grubby. My single room was clean and the bed comfortable, but the wallpaper was starting to come away and the window frame was dirty and had broken catches. There were cigarette burns on the furniture. The bathroom was generally clean but small details like a grubby tumbler-holder let it down. It was a struggle to make yourself understood with one member of staff who could barely speak English. It was cheap for a single room at £35 including breakfast, but I would not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2012

The hotel is well signposted on the roads within half a mile which is always my first concern when without SatNav. This was my first time at this hotel which I chose rather than the Travel Lodge for certain reasons on this occasion. I found my room and bathroom at the Tregenna was spacious, warm, comfortable, clean and bright with good beds, sheets and towels. Receptionist was very personable and helpful. The hotel appears to be privately owned and shows that money needs to be spent in certain areas on what the ever-demanding guest now expects.This is not a chain hotel or bedroom factory where share-holders' money has been used to keep it spanking new. For my airy, bright ground floor room with breakfast, free parking directly outside my room and the cost involved, I was very happy.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Tregenna Hotel? Share your experiences!