“Not What I Expected”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not What I Expected”
Reviewed January 18, 2006

We read reviews before going that the staff bends over backwards for guests. However, I beg to differ!
The first day we arrived to a room with no working A/C but were assured that it would be fixed by bedtime.
Well, by midnight the A/C died on us and we told the front desk. Of course, being midnight, there were no maintenance staff around so we spent the rest of the night sweltering.
The next night, the same thing! We asked to be moved to another room with working A/C and were told that there was a choice of only two rooms (which I find hard to believe, the place looked deserted!) and both were smaller rooms with smaller beds. Never have we ever been "downgraded" in a hotel because of their faulty equipment!
We moved to our next room and were met by stale-smelling sheets and sandy floors.
On our final night there, the hotel experienced a power outage from midnight to 4:30 a.m. There were no emergency lights anywhere.
Upon checking out, they never volunteered an explanation but when pressed about it their response was "Oh, the whole island was out, it's a St. Thomas thing"
Never again! Live and learn!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed January 17, 2006

I stayed at the Bolongo for 4 days in January 2006 with my husband. We chose this resort because my husband was touring with a band and that is where they were placed. We have been to alot of resorts all over the carribean and this resort was very different than the other places we have stayed. The property is extremely small, food is good/average and though the others felt the food was high priced I thought is was average for what is usually charged. I normally go all inclusive, 4 star resorts but I didn't since I was there such a short amount of time and we did not spend much time at the resort. The beach is very rocky, pool shoes are a must. Nothing to see as far as snorkeling goes however, there were a few people loving fish that loved to rub on your legs. They did not bite and were not dangerous they are just used to being fed. they have plenty of water sports to do. Though it is small, we never felt crowed, plenty of space and chairs around the beach and pool for everyone.The rooms were the BIG issue at this resort. They were Motel 6 at best. some of the rooms were a disgrace. Don't get me wrong, they were spotless, no bugs, etc but they were serverly run down. This hotel is in need of a major renovations. Floor tiles broken, beds are lumpy and hard as a rock, very musty smelling. Showers are the worst. I am 4'9" and when I tell you the shower stalls are small, I mean very small. When I shaved my legs, my knee was sticking out of the curtain, no water pressure and the toilets all over the island need help. Toilet bowls clog and over flow very easily and take a very long time to refill so you can flush again. What I can tell you about this resort (more like a motel) is that the staff is amazingly helpful and friendly and I can't say enough for the owners. That's what made the place and why I gave it the extra star.

As for the island of St. Thomas, I LOVED IT. St. John's too. I can't wait to go back. I felt very safe walking around at night. The islands are beautiful and very Americanized in the tourist areas. They have something for everyone and the people are very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank lovepalmtrees
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 22, 2005

My family just returned from a week at Bolonga Bay Beach Club. We rented a oceanfront hotel room for my son and his wife, and a 2 bedroom oceanfront condo for my younger son, and my wife and me for a week, and had a great time. It's an older facility, but very well maintained, and if you like a "laid back" island lifestyle, then you'd love this small, boutique resort. The staff made us feel like family, the ocean views were very close (about 100' from the condo)and we never felt like there were many people around...kinda like having our own "secret" get-a-way.
One potential drawback to this resort is that, eventhought there's a beautiful beach, it is rocky, making wearing "water shoes" a must. There is plenty of sand on the beach for sand castles, etc, but you will need the water shoes to swim in snorkle, (which is very good). If you have more than two people on the trip, the condos are the way to go. We stayed in a 2-br with full kitchen, large patio with direct access to one of the two pools available for guest. The hotel room my son and his wife stayed in was nice, with small refrig, and microwave, and a very nice ocean view) There are two restaruants on-stite(l casual, one more upscale) which are very nice, but like everything on the island, not cheap ($10 for a cheeseburger). We had two very nice dinners, and several lunches at the causal, "tikki hut" style Igges, and everything was great. There's another small upscale restaruant next door to the resort (Mim's) which was outstanding. Tables were 20' from the ocean with spectacular views. Try the coconut curried, stuffed lobster. It's almost worth the trip to the island to try. The resort is about 30 minutes from the airport, 20 minutes (depending on how many cruise ships are in) from the main shopping district, about 15 minutes from Redhook(resturants, some shopping, groceries, and the ferry to St. Johns) Using taxis with a group (we had 5 people) can be expensive. If you like to go places, you might consider renting a car, however, driving on the crowded, narrow, winding roads (driving of the left side,I might add) can be exciting. However, if you have a car you can discover many pristine beaches, and local type restaruants. All in all, this will not be our last visit to this beautiful, laid back, family resort.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kentucky
Reviewed December 20, 2005

We just returned from Bolongo Bay in St. Thomas. We did the all inclusive package and it was well worth it as the food here is phenomenal!! Don't forget to get the stuffed lobster and the Bushwacker drink from Harry at the bar. Rooms are average: beds could be better, but you don't go there to spend your time inside. Staff is extremely friendly. If you are taking kids - don't know if this is the place for you as pool is average, but you are on a quiet stretch of beach. Beach staff extremely nice. Be sure and get over to the beaches of St. John!! We went to Cancun last year and preferred St. Thomas/St. John. Less hassles and shopping is wonderful.

8 Thank SuegoetzKentucky
phila
Reviewed December 15, 2005

The reviews on Tripadvisor helped prepare me, but I was still annoyed by a few things.
First, checking in early around noon, we asked if the room would be ready before 3pm. We were told it would take 45 minutes to make up the room -45 minutes later no one knew anything about that....Essentially we hung around until just before 3pm. The hotel sure didn't look busy. Island time I guess. Iggie's service was similarly weird. Pleasant - but when the waitress says 'yes' to requests (for ketchup, cream for coffee, an order of soup) and then forgets three times during one meal, it's irritating.

The beach isn't just rocky it's sort of an inlet - not too appealing to swim in. And 5 days later, I am still scratching a plethora of no-see-um bug bites. To get a ratty beach towel you have to go to the dive shop next to Iggies and put your towel voucher in a bin. I don't get it. They trust you with the bath towels but not the ratty beach towels??

I appreciated the basic but clean room with frig, and microwave. And, I agree that compared to mega resorts and the high prices on St Thomas Bolongo offers a decent rate/alternative on their website. However, I wouldn't return. I would definitely opt to stay off St. Thomas next time - on any number of adorable islands that are less expensive, more charming and with better beaches that are just a ferry ride away....

11 Thank sailsail
Irma
Reviewed December 14, 2005

After a week enjoying the magnificent beaches of St John, my daughters and I spent our final weekend in the VI at Bolongo Bay Beach Resort.
For the most part, the staff was personable.
The Activities Department, led by Marcelo and Ricky, was outstanding! Marcelo was patient and helpful teaching total novices how to windsurf. Thanks Marcelo!!! The only negative to windsurfing, sailing etc. at Bolongo Beach were resort rules that restricted usage to a relatively small part of the bay.
Jonathan in the front office was also gracious in giving us a free advertised room upgrade.

Other observations...
Rooms were basic, but very clean. Liked the tile floors and the balcony.
The relatively small number of rooms at the resort, compared to the mega resorts on St Thomas and elsewhere, made it a much cozier atmosphere.
The grounds were well maintained. Beautiful palm trees highlight the resort grounds.
The beach (somewhat rocky) was, at best o.k..
The water view of the resort was quite nice to the left....and disappointing to the right (overlooking rather old and poorly maintained next door high rise condo units along the beach). The pool was quite small, but refreshing.
Iggy's Sunday night outstanding live music combined with excellent food lived up to its best Caribbean bar
award.
In my view, if you take advantage of the special rate deals that Bolongo Bay occasionally offers, the resort can be a reasonable alternative to much higher priced Virgin Islands destinations.

Mark

9 Thank markes
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed December 13, 2005

We went to Bolongo Bay Resort for our honeymoon. We couldn't have found a better resort. The staff there was very friendly and welcoming. They made you feel like family not just another customer. They had a party one night where the managers and other staff members came out to greet everyone. You don't get that very often. They also had lots of activities for guests to enjoy. It was your choice, you weren't forced into it. The cost wasn't too bad either. Well worth it. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Kevin and Lindsey

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!