“Quiet, friendly, beautiful view!”

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
North Liberty, IN, USA
“Quiet, friendly, beautiful view!”
Reviewed December 14, 2004

My sister and I just got back from a four-night stay at Bolongo Bay Beach Resort. We found the staff to be friendly, helpful and outgoing. The location is wonderful with a beautiful beach which was groomed daily. If you go there expecting the Ritz, you will probably be disappointed, but if you're looking for a laid-back, quite, friendly, clean resort, this is the place for you.

I was concerned with the location being several miles from town and the docks that we might have a transportation problem, but that was never the case. The longest we ever had to wait for a cab was five minutes! In most cases, there was one waiting in front! Of course, Bolongo offers many activities right at the resort and if you choose, you never have to leave!

Snorkeling in the bay was not very good and the beach was not the best for swimming (lots of rocks). For this reason, I give Bolongo four stars instead of five, but I would definately go back to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort!

• Stayed December 2004
3 Thank McPhail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Chambersburg, PA
Reviewed December 14, 2004

We were referred to Bolongo Bay Beach resort from friends in California. What a great place, not the Marriott, but friendly, wonderful island hospitality. Renita was very helpful, and you could tell that the entire staff was influenced by the Family atmosphere by the Doumeng family.

The Heavenly Days crew were great. We were even joking with the captain that he not only captained a great catamaran, but even affected the weather. It rained on the way to St John, and on the way back, but was gorgeous while we were there!! LOL

Seriously the accomodations may not be 5 star, but everything else makes up for it. My wife and I took both of our daughters and our new son-in-law, rented a Villa. Absolutely loved the view from the villa. Had Iguanas every morning on the rocks over looking the Bay, greeting us.

Bolongo Bay, we will be back. Great Value, Great People.

From folks involved in a family business, its good to see others who take their business as seriously.

The Resh Family
Chambersburg, PA

• Stayed December 2004
3 Thank Jim R
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 19, 2004

Our family of 5 recently stayed here from11/8-11/16 to attend a family wedding. There were 32 family members that flew down to attend, and no one had any major complaints. Bolongo set up everything for the wedding, and the dinners and breakfasts were fabulous! The staff, especially Sergio, were very accomodating. The second generation has been operating the resort for quite some time and i feel they have enhanced Bolongo's reputation as a quality destination. I have been here 7 times previously and was always well treated. Some folks who come here think or expect that they are coming to dowtown Chicago and want to be treated like they are the only ones in the Hotel. Please remember when you are in the Carribean, you are now on ISLAND TIME not your time.You came here to relax, so don't chomp at the bit because someone didn't put your shoes and socks on for you.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
alpharetta, ga
Reviewed November 11, 2004

I recently returned from St Thomas where we stayed at Bolongo Bay for one night. It was disgusting. This place is badly in need of repairs. It is run down and dirty. I would not let my 8 month old down on the floor and would not walk on them myself without shoes. My husband, son and myself were eaten up with flea bites. Please do not stay at this hotel. Also the service at lunch was horrific! The server was lazy, the burgers (ordered Med- Well) were cold and raw then when sent back came out burnt to a crisp! I am use to Island Time... we have travel to the the US and BVI's several times but this was beyond Bad!

4 Thank Hstiles
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 2, 2004

Stayed there September 24, 2004 for 4 nights - rooms were fine - nothing fancy. Some of the staff were friendly and some were not. Only one restaurant was open due to construction on main restaurant - not a large selection of food, but what they served was good. Beach at hotel was good - went to Magen's Bay beach and it was much nicer. Health Club was closed. We did have a rental car and glad we did. Overall not the best vacation resort, but it was off season in between the hurricanes. Would be great for family with little kids, since they could cook some of their meals there. Would not go there again though.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 20, 2004

We stayed for five days at Bolongo Beach Resort and loved it. The room (king with trundle bed for our daughter) was clean and perfect. The beach was raked everyday and was clean, though not the beautiful sand like Coki or Magen's beaches. The restaurant breakfasts were delicious, as was the Indian buffet on Wednesday nite. All the staff was very helpful-the waitresses were great fun! We will definitely stay at Bolongo Beach again. Make sure you take a day trip to St. John- Trunk Bay and Hawksnest beaches were beautiful. Make sure you have dinner at Agave Terrace in St. Thomas-it was delicious.

3 Thank shnude159
Maryland
Reviewed September 20, 2004

We visited Bolongo mid-June 2004. We were on the SI plan. After looking at the reviews, it's easy for me to see how some people love this place and others don't at all.

In terms of the room, bottom line is that it's ok--nothing fancy;however, bathrooms are a problem--not always clean, small, lots of bugs, and some moldy spots. Depending on who's cleaning your room, you might get a pretty good job OR NOT! The mattresses were a problem for us--made us all appreciate our beds at home more.

We found the menus to be quite limited, which was a problem for us. Since we did not rent a car, taking a taxi added a $40 to $50 sum to any "meal" outside of Bolongo. I had actually called several times about whether we would need a car, but it was not recommended to me (which was a pain!)

The view is really beautiful at Bolongo. The beach is ok. The snorkeling is quite good, and we enjoyed using the equipment. We also did the St. John's tour (not included in SI plan) and had a good time. The day excursion to Magen's Bay was also quite nice. These day trips definitely added to our trip's overall enjoyment.

Staff: Sometimes they were great and other times they were not. I never did figure it out to be honest. We tipped constantly and very well, I might add, but still did not get any consistent response.

Overall, I probably will not stay here again because I feel like I will be able to find another resort that will better suit our family's needs.

8 Thank CLDLSLCL
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!