“Bolongo bay beach resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bolongo Bay Beach Resort

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
“Bolongo bay beach resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful staff. Super friendly and nice. Room was mediocre it had several small issues. Food was good. Lots of flies when eating all open air. Beach was great lots of free activities. Beachside ocean view room not the best view blocked by plants. Overall good experience. Would stay again

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank andrhold

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Apple Springs, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Second time staying at Bolongo Bay. We enjoy relaxing on the beach and our 11 yr old loves the water sports. We have opted for all inclusive both times and really like Iggie's and the Lobster Grill. great food and entertainment at Iggie's. This is not a place with lots of people, you really have time to get to know the others you are vacationing with during your stay. The staff is always friendly and the Gift Shop / Tour Desk ladies are wonderful. Thank you!, Must say the dive shop right next door is also a big perk. The dive boat is docked steps away from your room. We dove several days with them and for staying at Bolongo non divers get a free Discover Scuba Course which we took advantage of last year. We were upgraded both times to a ocean view but only had to pay for value room. :)). We will return hopefully every year I've already started saving. Thank you Bolongo Bay for 2 outstanding vacations filled with awesome memories.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Beckie C
Powhatan, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I came to St. Thomas to celebrate my divorce...and this was the right place for me.....The ambience is wonderful, the staff goes out of it's way to be accomodating and caring. This place is NOT run-down...It's typically Caribbean..You don't go to the Caribbean to stay in your room all day..My bed was so comfortable I had the best night's sleep in as long as I can remember. The hot water in the shower was immediate and plentiful, the sheets were clean and felt fresh and comfortable..I have a fridge and a microwave in my room and didn't have to ask for it...Folks at the front desk are uber accomodating and helpful....You won't go wrong here. I'll be back on my next get-away.

Room Tip: I had Room 137...very well appointed..and clean...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MrsPrigg
Mound, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

First, let me state that the people complaining about Bolongo being a run-down motel obviously haven't gotten a grasp on St. Thomas, and the way things work there. Yes, the hotel is not perfect...the tile floors are chipped in places, the paint job may look like your child helped do the edges, and you won't have top-of-the-line appliances in your room. Here's an idea....take a look out your window and appreciate the fact that you will find it very difficult to be in the Caribbean, with that amazing view, awesome and respectful staff, super housekeeping (I have no idea how they get all the sand out every day!!), a beach bar that is literally a 3 minute walk out your door, awesome beach toys, boat excursions right out your door, and really great pricing anywhere else. My family (myself, husband, 11 year old son, and 6 year old daughter) had such a fun, no-planning allowed, beach vacation here that it's hard to even remember the flaws when all we have are memories of the best vacation ever. We ended up getting a Black Friday special and ended up paying ninety dollars a night for a 4th floor beach-front room for 12 nights....good luck ever finding that anywhere else and still get the great service and amenities. We did NOT get the all-inclusive, and didn't need it. Sorry, I don't need to get tanked while on vacation with my kids!! We rented a car, and traveled to beautiful beaches all over St. Thomas and also took the car ferry to St. John 4 different days. WE LOVED THE BEACHES THERE!!! One thing I did find strange about the island is that it didn't seem like many families with children were there. Our kids were the only ones at Bolongo during our stay, which did make us feel like they couldn't really access the pool much bc I'm aware that people eating in the pool-side restaurant probably don't want kids jumping and splashing while trying to enjoy an fairly pricey meal. Things we really enjoyed doing: Eating dinner at Iggy's (Wednesday is Carnival night and shouldn't be missed), Koki Beach (give one of the locals that approach you $5 for a chair and they will drag it over, clean it off and set it up for you), really yummy ice cream shop right next to the Red Hook ferry, Taco Hell ($2 tacos!!!!!), ANY beach on St. John, walk around the bird/plant sanctuary, SNORKLE SNORKLE SNORKLE....saw 2 barracuda's and scared the hell out of me, lol. Anyhow, Bolongo is a great place to stay if you aren't a stuffy snob and can really appreciate the fact that you will have a comfy bed, a great view, and some of the nicest hotel staff we've ever encountered. Btw, we were never bothered by the music from Iggy's in our room. Your a.c. is almost always on and it drowns out anything from outside. Remember...it's "island time" and any expectations you may have for other places you visit just really can't be applied here. You aren't going to get an upgraded resort unless you really want to fork out some money, and even places like the Marriott get horrid reviews regarding not only room quality, but also customer service. I'll take Bolongo any day over a pretentious place like that. Also, I'm not going to pay tons of money to have to take a shuttle up and down to the beach. You should be coming here to enjoy the beautiful clear waters and white sand beaches, not so you can sit in your fancy room and swim in a huge pool...go to Disney World for that. Believe me, it took some adjusting to embrace this laid-back island. I'm a planner, used to Disney World resorts, Sedona, and condo's on Sanibel, and this place just let me relax and have the best vacation with my family.

Room Tip: We preferred a 4th floor room in the middle of the 1st building to the right of the office, if looki...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Amanda L
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were a little disappointed. The beach was a very thin strip of sand with uncomfortable beach chairs lined up in a small cluster. The pictures of this resort make the place appear much larger. The rooms were old with a noisy window unit for air. Sitting on our small patio - we had the backside of that unit in our faces. Although it was all inclusive - we had to sign for everything down to an alcohol free drink. Anything outside the "Package" was charged at the end. The nightly entertainment, with the exception of 1 night was of garage band quality. The special carnival night was a guy on stilts dancing and posing for pics, a dance contest with the guests - we left when it was time for a guy to walk on glass. Taxi service to get anywhere was very pricey. On the positive side - the 2 restaurants were great.with classic Caribbean atmosphere and great food. The staff was warm and friendly. The catamaran was nice for the 2 hour sunset cruse. But the half day to St. Johns was long and only brought us to the uninhabited side - so no shopping or other island experience. We had already seen much sand and water. I have to say that after staying at the Divi in Aruba (for the same price) there was just no contest. It was okay but way too expensive for the quality of what we ended up with. If you are looking for an exotic Caribbean experience - you can do much better for the money.

Room Tip: The place is very small. We stayed on the beach and some beach units face a larger beach area but so...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Redding, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We chose Bolongo Bay to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and it was the best vacation decision ever! We had a wonderful time and would love to go back. The resort itself is a little on the old side, but very clean and we can't say enough about the special people that work there. Right from the beginning we were treated so wonderful and made to feel very comfortable. The food at both the Lobster Grille and Iggy's was fantastic! We especially enjoyed hanging out at the pool bar at the Lobster Grille with some of the best bartenders. 007 and Steve took such good care of us and all of the servers were great, especially Karen. The beach was beautiful and we really enjoyed our two trips on the Heavenly Days catamaran, snorkeling with turtles and a great sunset cruise. Capt. Pete, Yoshi and Kyle were all amazing and made our trips very special. Iggy's was fun and we enjoyed some great live entertainment there. This resort is a great choice if you are looking for something casual, friendly, relaxing and fun!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TJD_11
Vancouver, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I were there from the 8th to the 15th for our honeymoon,
We had a wonderful, relaxing time. I have read MANY reviews and let me say that
it isn't the top of the line resort...but We were treated as if we were a King and Queen.
The staff EXCELLENT!! and the food delicious....our room was 10 steps from the sand
it was clean and nice in m y opinion. If your looking for high end travel, This may not be for you.
I can't say enough about the staff and the swim with the turtles...the drinks the friendships we made ect...I recommend Bolongo Bay to everyone and I will go back year after year.
For those of you who didn't like....MORE room for those of us who ADORE it!
We love and miss you all already, Mike and Brenda Skala

Room Tip: Beach front was our favorite(room 147) ;)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,629 reviews

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!