“Our Aniversary”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“Our Aniversary”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at Bolongo Bay, and we had an amazing time.
The food was top notch the people who worked there really loved their jobs. Ms V is a real sweetheart and Cornelius was a hoot opening up coconuts for us to drink the coconut water he's very entertaining. Speaking of entertainment they will keep you entertained every night of the week at Iggie's Bar and Grill. The last band we saw was a little bland for our liking but over all the place blew us away.
Our room was 45 steps from the water and the snorkeling was great at the resort the bartenders were very nice and they make some great drinks.
Heaeanly Days was a fun Catamaran and the deck hands Kyle and Lindsley were alot of fun
I can definitly tell you that we'll be back along with all the other people on the trip we met were all be backs as well.

Do yourself a favor and forget the rest of the resorts you were possibly looking at and just book the best one out there which was Belongo Bay and see for yourself like we did.

Room Tip: get a ocean front room your so close to the ocean well worth the money also if you can hold out till...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Merrill, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week trip. We were first time travelers here and we LOVED it. If you are looking for a great family run hotel that is out of the way from the busy downtown traffic, this is it. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice but not a 5 star hotel. However, we had No complaints at all as we spent most of our time on the beach and outside. We are already planning our next trip back. We loved the relaxed atmosphere and met many other guests from around the states. Many who were repeat guest and some had been back over 10 years. We had no complaints with the food either, you have a choice of two restaurants that each have different choices of food. The Heavenly Days staff- Capt Peter, Lindsey, and Kyle made our snorkeling experience a great time. Also the staff at the St Thomas Dive Club were as helpful as well. It was my husband first time diving and Marci and Shawn did a great job teaching him to dive. All of the staff members made you feel like family and we can't wait to go back.

5 Thank Mark M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2013

It is a small resort. The resort is on the beach. The staff is very nice. The place is a bit run down and in a need of updating.
There are two restaurants in the resort and another - mims - next door (walking distance). The resort restaurants are basic. Breakfast is horrible (be ware of the American Sandwich!). Thus, I would not recommend all inclusive. I think they have two cooks. I had fish taco for lunch which was amazing. I have ordered it again the next day and it was uncooked and extremely spicy. I could not eat it. Mimi is in walking distance and they have good food for dinner. Igigs is a pub with pub food. Nothing to write home about...
It can be boring at night. The pub was closed at 11pm. Another option is to have food at Red Hook. It is an area with tons of restaurants. All restaurants and pub are open late, like till 4am. However, it is $15 taxi ride each way but worth going.
We took a taxi to Megan's Bay. The taxi driver stop at a view point above the city and above Megan's Bay. The beach is AMAZING. Highly recommended for a day trip. It was $20 each way but worth it.
If you look to relax in the sun that's the place for you. If you look for activity vacation try some place else.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view.
1 Thank TorontoGuy12
Huntington Station, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

While planning our vacation, I searched travel sites for reviews on resorts in St. Thomas. 95% of the reviews for Bolongo Bay were positive so I selected it for our 5-day vacation. We just returned yesterday and I already want to go back. It is a small, cozy resort right on the beach. The staff are so friendly and the food and drinks are delicious. You must try the Bushwhacker frozen drink. The bartenders - Steve, 007, Arthur and Mike were so much fun and always ready to mix up a special drink for you to try. I'm sure the other bartenders are just as great, but we did not have an opportunity to meet them while there. The wait staff are also very friendly. Yoshi at the beach hut is also very helpful. Mama Viola, she calls herself the Ambassador of the resort, has worked at Bolongo for 40 years and loves to sit and chat and give you the history of the resort. She is a lovely lady and considers Bolongo Bay owners and staff her family. The iguanas may pay you a visit while you are lounging at the pool. We loved when they showed up and one even jumped in the pool scaring some of the female guests out of the pool which then turned in to a good laugh for everyone. They are harmless and just like checking out the guests at the pool. The owners cat also likes to walk the grounds of the resort greeting everyone. It is an adorable orange tabby that is so friendly and receives tons of petting from the guests. Definately bring water shoes. The beach is rocky and the shoes make getting in and out of the water so much easier. I found shoes on Swimoutlet.com that are called disposable shoes for $4.95. They do not seem disposable and are very good quality at a great price. I also purchased snorkel gear to take w/ us for $14.95 each. There is wonderful snorkeling at the beach at the resort. My husand and I were so thrilled to see a huge sea turtle in the water right off shore. In one of the reviews I read, someone suggested bringing dog bisquits to break up and feed the fish. We snorkeled out w/ a baggy full and when my husband broke up the pieces in the water all the fish came to feed. It was great. Another reason I love this resort is the nightly entertainment. You don't have to leave the resort to have a nice meal, some drinks and fun entertainment. Iggies, a short walk down the beach, stays open later and has bands, shows, etc, and the bar near the pool stays open till 10. The only regret we had was renting a car. We would have been better off just taking taxis. There is no parking at many of the popular areas and the driving can be a bit scary at times. If you do decide to rent a car, go w/ Budget, Avis or Hertz. They are located in the airport. We made the mistake of renting from Dollar/Thrifty and we waited over an hour at the airport for their shuttle to arrive which it never did. We finally got a ride to Dollar rental from a very nice man, Dwayne, who lives on the Island and was waiting for his friend to pick him up. Take the ferry over to St. John. It is a beautiful island. We went w/ the all-inclusive package at Bolongo, but many people didn't. We just prefered the convenience of all-inclusive. There are probably things I left out, and tons more I could write, but hopefully I provided enough information to help you with your decision on where to stay. If you decide to stay at Bolongo Bay you will not regret it. Have fun. :-)

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, rm 132, w/ an ocean view. It was near the bar and pool so it was a bit...
5 Thank Luvs2travel365
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at a smaller resort instead of Sandals type resorts that we usually stay at. We greatly enjoyed Bolongo Bay. This was our first time to USVI/BVI and we both agree this is where we would like to return to. The resort is right on the beach which makes it easy to get to dining, the shop, watersports, Iggie's, and dive shop. We had the all inclusive option which I would highly recommend. We had lobster almost every night because it was included. The filet was incredible too. We are "foodies" and my husband still dreams of the food we had there. We went in "off-season" as this is when we generally travel to avoid high humidity and lower prices in the caribbean. The staff at Bolongo Bay is most hospitable. They aim to please. I bought most of my souvenirs from the gift shop as they had what I needed/wanted including unique jewelry. We did not go shopping in all the mall areas--had no desire to shop as we wanted to see the beauty of the islands for this trip. We took one trip out with the dive shop to Buck Island (small island that is visible from shore). My husband is a diver and I just snorkel. This was the first time ever (from our experience) that a boat took snorkelers and divers out together. I could watch from above my husband diving and exploring a ship wreck. He said it was an incredible experience. Snorkeling is better than any place I have been too, that includes Jamaica, Antigua, and Cozumel because of the clear water and reef systems that are not yet destroyed. I snorkelled two places around this island and saw many fish including sea turtles. If you snorkel off the beach from the resort, you can see sea turtles too. The water is shallower here, but murky. We also snorkelled to the left of the resort at the point (looking seaward). You have to be careful here as the current can pull you into the sharp rock. There is a cave at this point. We also took the ferry to St. John's and went to Trunk Bay. You must go there--this place is heaven on earth. We snorkelled the snorkel trails and also the far ends. This was a highlight of my trip. We shopped in the little shops at the port, that was fun too. We also took a day trip to the BVI to the Baths, etc. This was another highlight of my trip. We cannot wait to go back as there is so much more to see and do. We have been contemplating. . . .how could we actually live there. . . .at least for a year!

Room Tip: We had a third floor room with a great ocean view--WOW factor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gypsymommaOklahoma
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We opted to stay beach front at Bolongo Bay rather than a much more expensive "ocean view" at various other resorts. We were not disappointed! For all that, there was an initial issue with our room NOT being beach front. Having our documentation from our travel agent helped clear that up after a short wait. After that, it was smooth sailing! It is a "vintage" property, so that's what your expectation should be. That's not a bad thing, in fact we liked the intimate feel. Just don't expect lavish showers and fancy fixtures.

The beach was beautiful. The staff on the beach that took care of the equipment were nice and courteous and offer the ladies plenty of "eye candy." On the property, we ate at the restaurant (Lobster Grille) and went on a dive with the shop there on the beach. We also went to Iggies frequently. At the other end of the same bay is one of the more highly rated restaurants on the island- Mim's. These will al be separately reviewed, but in a nutshell, the food as a general rule all over the island tended to be under seasoned, over done and over priced. These places were no different, but each had great ambience that is hard to put a price tag on. Iggies was great at lunch, but a bit spotty in terms of service and entertainment at night. Carnival night was a blast and a highlight. The Lobster Grille was amazingly romantic with a beautiful view of the Bay and nice service. The wine list is not extensive, but does the trick. The food had nice flavor, but was over-cooked. Mim's is not part of the property, so a review does not belong here other than saying that the fact that it is an easy stroll down the beach is one of the reasons to stay at Bolongo.

We got to meet the owners at the Manager Reception. They are nice people. The fact that this property is family owned and operated reflects on the "feel" it projects. The grounds were clean and safe and the staff always friendly. Getting a ride to wherever was never a problem. Just a quick call to the bell desk and we had a taxi waiting.

I would give this resort a 5, but the evening service and food at the on-site restaurants need too much improvement. Would I stay here again? Absolutely. Compared to "upscale" hotels, much more of a bargain and the kind of "at home" feel we like on our vacations.

Room Tip: The beach fronts are a few yards from the beach, but still beach front. I would ask to not be too c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank STL_Voyagers
Rochester, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Bolongo Bay is my kind of "all inclusive" vacation destination. For starters, it's small as these kind of resorts go which makes it more friendly and intimate - you really get to know the staff and fellow vacationers if you want to. The food is exceptional - no lousy buffets here, off the menu, high quality, fresh food. We tried many things at the Lobster Grille and were NEVER disappointed. I wish I could get such fresh fish here in upstate ny.
Yes, as others have stated, the rooms are a bit dated and show a bit of wear w/ small bathrooms. But the house keeping staff keep everything very clean, the beds are comfortable, and how much time do you plan to spend in your room when you are in St. Thomas ? ? ?

Iggy's Beach Bar had decent food (more of a bar food menu), but the free entertainment while sitting outside on a warm night enjoying your cocktail is priceless! And, it is nice to have an alternative choice for those who don't want to eat every meal @ the Lobster Grille (although why anyone would pass up any dinner at this incredible restaurant is beyond me!)

The number of return guests at Bolongo Bay is a testament to this fine resort. My wife and I will join this fraternity of "returning guests" - it's that good!

Room Tip: Dinner @ the Lobster Grille is not to be missed !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 22 in St. Thomas
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!