“Bolongo Bay Wedding Trip”

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
Portland, Maine
“Bolongo Bay Wedding Trip”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Our party of 21 people just got back from a long weekend at Bolongo for our daughter's wedding.
It was an amazing stay, exciting, relaxing, gorgeous scenery. No one wanted to come home!
The staff, including the romance director, front desk, outdoor, restaurant and others, were very friendly, helpful, and professional.
Every detail of the wedding and reception was attended to beautifully, with no stress for the family.
We had everything we needed, lots of support, and a one-of-a-kind special experience.
Everyone wants to go back.
We are so pleased and grateful.
Thank you, Bolongo!

Room Tip: We had a balcony room overlooking the ocean, but four of our party had the value rooms, which were v...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Spirit D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
grafton, wi
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here March 6-9. The beach is spacious and beautiful and they have a lot of activities for people of all ages! We also heard that the onsite snorkeling was good, but didn't have a chance to participate in that.
We ate at Iggy's and they had good food and great entertainment!! They also have very good service!!
We were a little disappointed at how small the rooms were - the shower stall was tiny! We toured the Virgin Islands for 15 nights and this was the most expensive hotel. We stayed at others on St Thomas and St Croix that were slightly less in price, but had much, much more spacious rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LuvsTheCaribbean
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2012

THIS POST WILL TELL YOU EVERY THING YOU WANT OR NEED TO KNOW about BOLONGO BAY BEACH RESORT.

IT IS TYPED IN TRUTH WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH:

My husband and I received an all-inclusive surprise honeymoon trip to this resort from my mother. Married May 19, 2012 we stayed at Bolongo Beach Resort from May 20-24, 2012. From the moment we stepped foot on the property we were treated like royalty (like every other vacationer there). We were greeted at the door; as they took luggage from our hands and replaced it with Island specialty drink rum punch (we were not even in the building yet!).

We entered our rooms, which were beautifully indicative of the culture. We felt and knew once we entered the room that we were in the Virgin Islands! MOST COMFORTABLE BED EVER, the balcony door had shutters that could open to allow us to hear the crashing of the waves all night until the next morning. Nice kitchenette supplied with everything you could possibly need. Room attendants were so attentive they would neatly set up all my hygiene supplies and ever folded our clothes (WOW!). BE ready to tip because the service will make it impossible for you not to.

Our all-inclusive include all drinks and food with a choice from two restaurants Lobster Grille and Iggies. Iggies was a beach bar (the only beach bar on the Island) with fantastic staff and food. Lobster Grille served the best lobster I ever ate with great ocean front ambiance this was a great spot for our intimate dinning. All-inclusive was truly all-inclusive no time restrictions, frequency restrictions, $$$ limitations (gratuity included) but again do not forget to tip your service will make you desire to tip way beyond the included gratuity, and no food or drink exclusions! If you stayed on the island 2 weeks, you would still enjoy these menu selections! If you are a healthy eater or on a diet no problem plenty of selections including fresh fruit, yogurt, club sandwiches, and grilled meats.

One of the best features of this resort is the program called "SHOP TALK." We attended a 30min talk about places to shop in town. They provided a free taxi ride to town, the paper they give you allows you to receive extra discounts in town shops and FREE GIFTS (we used some for souvenirs for family and friends). That is not all the program guarantees every item you buy so if items are faulty or break during travel you receive money back or replacement!

SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE
Bret is an awesome bartender at Iggies. He made our drinks perfectly engaged in conversation and was very friendly (even knowing his tip was automatically included).

Chris and Mckoy work the non-motorized watersports (e.g. paddle boats, kayaking). My husband and I did kayaking and accidently went outside the buoys! These men immediately responded jumping on their jet skis there response was equivalent to EMS. We did even realize we were outside the allotted space. But boy, we really felt safe entering the waters knowing these men were on our team!

Vernitta is the vacations coordinator. I forgot to bring a hair care product. On her DAY OFF, she brought me hair sheen to ensure I would be gorgeous the duration of my honeymoon. In fact, she actually made this trip following a funeral! I begged her not to worry about it but she insisted.

007 (bartending nickname) worked at Lobster Grille. He was great full of jokes. Once we were in town shopping he drove by honked his horn greeting us by our names! Sooo impressive.

I would say that you will feel right at home but unless you are royalty, that statement would be a lie. You feel more like you are living in a dream. You can stay at the lavish Marriott and other 4-5 stars on the island but is unlikely that you will be treated like a VIP by every staff person. It is also unlikely that every staff person will greet you by name (they knew our first and last) after only the first day! It is unlikely that the beach view will be as great as Bolongo's and it is unlikely that you will get a FREE SUNSET SAIL!!!! With a great staffing, that will attend to you as if their lives depended on it!!

My Husband and I vowed that no matter how much money we have, we would never rent a condo or stay at the more lavish hotels....BOLONGO BAY ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!

VISIT BOLONGO BAY BEACH RESORT ON FACEBOOK TO SEE THAT MANY OTHERS FEEL THE SAME WAY WE (ROBERT AND TRITESHA) DO

YOU CANT GO WRONG...unless you are aiming to be dissappointed :)

Room Tip: I had a breath-taking view in room 148!
4 Thank Tritesha S
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I came back last night and already miss waking up to the sound of the waves and rolling right onto the beautiful beach so we could float the days away... Everything was perfect! Great laid-back atmosphere, excellent food, great music at Iggies Beach Bar, and friendly staff. Had a great time snorkeling with sea turtles off the catamaran.. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: we had rm 155 and it was perfect.
3 Thank loribr
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed 8 days, May 18 - May 26th 2012, and we will go again next year. First time at this resort and were concerned about some of the reviews. It's not for the party animal or someone who wants to wake up to marble floors, room service , and elegance. Go if you want to feel like you're on a secluded island with beautiful views right outside your balcony. We loved the entire resort and stayed in room 136, 3rd floor with an outstanding view. We had no problem with sand fleas because we were warned to spray our legs with repellent at dusk and dawn which worked like a charm. We did the all inclusive plan and the food at the Lobster Grill was excellent, best filet mignon I've had in years. Bacon wrapped scallops unreal and the drinks are great. Beware of the Voodoo drink as it will slam most people! Heavenly Days catamaran was beautiful and so much fun - great crew. Loved the true caribbean feel of Bolongo!

Room Tip: 3rd floor had beautiful views but not good for anyone with disabilities or leg problems as there are...
3 Thank CC M
Greenville, SC
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

I visited here with my husband and a group 7 others for a wedding. The customer service here is exceptional... You feel like part of the family after the first day! The rooms are simple "beach" rooms... Very clean and our view was AMAZING! The food was good, we did the all inclusive... Well worth it as meals are pricey at the 2 on site restaurants. We did not rent a car, and there didn't seem to be many places within walking distance of the resort. This was fine with us... We had all we needed! We got to meet Richard Doumeng, one of the owners, and he remembered us every day after that! The drinks are delicious. The beach is rocky, but there are plenty of water activities to make it fun. WATCH OUT FOR THE NO SEEUMS! These little sand fleas bit me no less than 50x! The bites are very itchy and last a couple of weeks. They provide OFF, so spray early and often.

We did go on Heavenly Days (the catamaran) twice... Captain Peter and his crew made it fun and relaxing! The beach wedding we came for was put together very well by the onsite wedding planner Lore. All in all, I am normally a "timeshare" person... But this was worth every penny!! We will be returning!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank scmami
Rossford, Ohio, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I did a lot of research before deciding on Bolongo Bay. From everything I could find anywhere, there were good and bad about every single resort on the island. Having never been to Bolongo Bay (or the USVI in general) before, it was difficult to decide what we wanted, and what sites we should trust. When it was all said and done, Bolongo Bay was probably the single best decision we made about our wedding/vacation!!!
From the very beginning, Lorena Leonard, the wedding coordinator on site was a miracle and a life saver!!!! We communicated via email on a regular basis, and she always responded back within a day or two- usually within hours. Anything I questioned, she worked with me. Reservations for the group- no problems, it was easily taken care of. Any request I had, they could accommodate us within our budget- from the ceremony itself, to the decorations, the reception, the group Swim with Turtles the day after our wedding, who could do hair/make-up, honestly, anything you could imagine when planning a wedding, she had it all figured out! When the courthouse was supposed to be closed the Friday before our wedding because of Carnival (it was never posted on the website), she was in contact with the OWNER of the resort, he sent a letter to the Mayor of the Island, and the owner personally called the courthouse. When we arrived knowing that the courthouse would, in fact, be open for us to pick up our marriage license because of THEIR hard work, it was one of the best feelings of appreciation I have ever felt! The other 2 couples that were at the courthouse that day didn’t even know it was going to be closed. They were open because of the staff at Bolongo Bay’s hard work! The entire year and a half we were in communication, I had ZERO stress. Days and hours before the wedding, still absolutely NO stress. When our wedding day arrived, it was 100% more than my husband and I expected. We were blown out of the water. Everything was PERFECT; not a single thing I would have changed in all honesty.
If you are looking for THEE BEST customer service (they- as in everyone we came in contact with, from the bell man, to the gift shop employees, to the workers on Heavenly Days, the servers/bartenders, etc.- knew we were the Bride and Groom the entire 9 days we stayed. They ended up knowing our names and room number by the end of it all) you will NOT be disappointed. When we arrived, they knew we were getting married Saturday and congratulated us. They greeted us (like all guests) with Rum Punch that wasn’t light on the rum!, took our bags to our room and got everything ready. Everyone loved what they did! The Managers Welcome party on the pool deck was awesome. They provided rum punch and light appetizers for all to enjoy. The owners and some employees came out and welcomed everyone, gave away a few small prizes and had a good time. It seemed like we were part of the family. Something you will never, ever experience at a corporate resort.
For us, one of the most important deciding factors on where to stay was the food. We were planning on doing an all-inclusive package wherever we went and we wanted to make sure the food was good not only for that, but also the wedding reception. Looking for GREAT food for ALL meals? Lobster Grille AND Iggie’s is on site!!! AMAZING meals if you ask my group of 30 who traveled with us. I don’t think there was a bad thing served! For us, the best part- NONE of it was a buffet, so you could order what you wanted, and it be made the way you want. Breakfast, Lunch and a 4 course dinner was included daily. Want a pound of lobster EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for dinner? INCLUDED! Steak, Scallops, Chicken, Pasta, Soup, Salads, Sanwiches---whatever you were in the mood for, you could find without leaving! The fish tacos were our FAVORITE lunch. Ahhhhh-mazing! Want premium liquor? INCLUDED. A bottle of wine a night/room? INCLUDED! I felt like we were living for free because everything we could imagine was included and not an extra charge!
Entertainment was another BIG seller for us. Considering we were coming with a decent size group, we didn’t want to have to leave the resort unless we wanted. The nightly entertainment at Iggie’s was AWESOME! Just knowing that you could take a short walk down the beach to catch live music or Carnival night was excellent. They had fire throwers and a limbo stick that was on fire for Carnival night. It was so neat to see that right at the resort we stayed at without having to take a taxi (that cost money) to be entertained. Also, the Snorkel Rum Hunt (a weekly tradition) was super cool too! Who doesn’t want to snorkel for a free bottle of rum that you get to keep?! The non-motorized water activities on site were so much fun! They had paddle boats, tricycles, body boards, sailboats and kayaks. They also have the Snorkel Shop right on site that you can rent flippers and snorkel equipment from for free! When my husband finally did that towards the end of the week, he ended up seeing sea turtles right on the property! If you are bored, it’s your own fault any day/night of the week!!
It really depends on the experience you are looking for. If you want all the bells and whistles of a room and a resort, this probably isn’t the place for you. The rooms are basic, as is the pool. You can see from the pictures- literally, what you see is what you will get. For us, that wasn’t a big concern because we knew we wouldn’t be in the room other than to sleep a few hours a night and they were still nice and clean. The other MAJOR deciding factor was the fact that it was DIRECTLY on the beach. From what I could find on a majority (if not ALL the others) was they were NOT.
I have not a single regret about staying at Bolongo Bay. Our wedding was stress free, anything/everything we wanted could be done (and it was!) and the rest of our trip was perfect. We didn’t want to leave and fully intend on going back next year for our anniversary! It was a vacation and wedding we will never forget and we are already counting down the days until we are back! It was hands down one of the best vacation experiences of our lives!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!