“Now that was a vacation”

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
palm city
“Now that was a vacation”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I stayed at Bolongo a few times over 20 years ago so I was curious about what I would find. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! Now, if you're looking for the Ritz, it's down the road. Commercial resorts are everywhere but there is a unique quaintness about a family owned resort. Yes, the buildings might be more dated than others but I wasn't there to look at the buildings or room, my priority is the beach and the activities that are included in your stay. Sailing the sunfish was a blast, paddle boarding was my fun exercise each day and sailing to St. John for the day was fantastic. I can't begin to describe how wonderful it was to go diving again. And, all this plus more was right outside my room. I had to leave to do the obligatory shopping but just wanted to get back to Bolongo. There are only about 60 rooms on a large beautiful bay. The beach has beautiful tall palm trees with a smattering of hammocks. It was amazing to lay in the hammock with the sound of palm fronds, the ocean and quiet peace.With the rooms on the beach, I didn't have to walk through a lobby which I love. I was impressed how the beach was perfectly maintained. I am tired of beautiful areas being taken over with buildings and crowds. There was plenty of room to relax on the beach and be alone but then if I wanted to socialize, it was there. Iggies on the beach is a fun, tasty and convenient bar and restaurant that locals frequent. Then going to the Lobster Grill for a totally different menu and atmosphere and hanging at the pool bar was great. I am so glad it is still what I remembered with a better beach. I will not be waiting another 20 years to go again!

Room Tip: There is an advantage to both the first floor or the second floor. It's more of a choice, which...
2 Thank kathy r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed April 20, 2012

A perfect place if you want to get away. Beautiful beach, two great restaurants over looking the water, dive shop/trips on site, moonlight cruise, and it goes on and on!

The food is great, you don't have to go anywhere else. Lots of fun at night for any individual or group.

The rooms are nice and the bed is very comfortable after a long day!

You have to give it a try, we have been there several times and several friends and family have been because of our recommendations.

Room Tip: Great staff all throughout the property. You are close to town and other sites. You will not want to...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kkennedy32000
Ojai, CA
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I went to Bolongo on vacation with my boyfriend and we had the most delightful time. We even got to see Stevie Wonder sing and play harmonica at Iggies in Bolongo's beach bar, which was really great even though I brought my own rock star, Dave Mason my boyfriend.

Days were spent lounging on their beautiful beach, the staff was very hospitable and friendly, and we look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Winifred W
Chicago IL
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I made the mistake of going by the tripadvisor reviews & boy was I sorry. I'm not sure if the resort is putting all the 5 star reviews up or what but this is not worthy of your time. We just finished staying there for 3 nights and it was a god awful experience.
I dont expect much but let me tell you I regret not staying at the tent camps on St John over this location. Ants everywhere in the room, ceiling fan rickety and needed maintenance to be called, the food is limited and nothing but re-arranged frozen food. Drinks are overpriced and weak. Taxi everywhere, no where to walk to. It might be Bolongo Bay but it was more like Isolation Bay for us.
Try somewhere else is all I can say. This place needs updating to stay with the times.

Room Tip: Pick a different place is my only advice.
8 Thank Scott F
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at Bolongo twice and both times were excellent! If you expect a five star resort, look elsewhere. The rooms are average, but to us it didn't really matter. I mean how much time do you spend in your room on a Caribbean vacation anyway? The food at the Lobster Grill is very good and the portions are huge. The food at Iggies is good bar fare. The staff is excellent and bartenders are great! Iggies at night is really fun and usually has live music.
We have gotten to know several of the staff on a personal basis and they go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The Saint Thomas Dive Shop on the grounds is superb! I got my open water certification while there and had a blast doing it. The staff is outstanding and the dives were amazing! The beach is good, a bit rocky but nice. There is pretty good snorkeling off the beach, but the tide area is a bit rocky. You'll see turtles, lots of fish, maybe a reef shark or two, and urchins (lots of urchins).
Get the all inclusive, you will save in the long run especially if you like your drink. I would also recommend renting a car to save on cab fare. Overall this place is great and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bill M
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I was so disappointed about this hotel. Really old hotel, dirty and bugs all over the place. Seriously, is this A JOKE!? We paid almost $400 a night. We booked this hotel because of the review was good. But  I didn't see any good review things. No hot shower in day 1.
Very noisy electronic generator sounds in the room. Terrible!  Couldn't even hear any ocean sound. Crappy beach towels and blanket.
First of all, it seems like they better rebuild the entire hotel building itself. The buildings are old and the walls are thin. We came here seeking for a nice and relaxing resort but this place failed to provide that to us as nothing about the hotel gave relaxing atmosphere except the beautiful beach and the ocean which are not even private property.
Plus, no room service. The restaurant by the hotel closes a kitchen at 9!! The bar "iggies" near by hotel has super noisy karaoke night every night. The noise and overpriced food take away my appetite. Food was heavy.
People, please don't waste your vacation!!

10 Thank NewYorkDragon
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The setting is gorgeous. There were turtles in the water. Beyond that, the entire property should be torn down and rebuilt. They still use keys to access the doors and 2/3 keys we had did not work! The beach towels are in terrible condition, the floating rafts are torn, no drinking water is available at the beach - no wait service for snacks on the beach. Wifi did not work. The beach staff do not wear uniforms so it is hard to tell who is staff and who is a guest. Security is lax - i observed an man who appeared not to have showered for days enter the property on a bicycle, He was wearing torn clothing. He shimmied up a tree and shook 4 coconuts to the ground - they could have hit children who were playing nearby. A member of the hotel staff drove by on his golf cart, observed the man, smiled at me as i was opened mouth in disbelief - and said nothing to the coconut gatherer. Food at the restaurants is heavy and greasy. We stayed in the condos and requested that the lock be fixed on the porch door - which was never done. We had to hit the switch plates to turn lights off - an obvious short - that was not fixed and quite frankly, was a dangerous condition. The toilets had rings around them, the comforters had pills on them. We had a sticky substance on the floor the entire time we were there - obviously the cleaning staff never touched the floors. The tiles on the floors were chipped and dirty - sticky substances were every where. The walls were stained, with rust marks and other unidentifiable things. The sand on the beach was rocky and it hurt to walk with bare feet. The entire place should be torn down and rebuilt.

5 Thank Dianna M
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!