“Fantastic family holiday”

Sapphire Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Reviewed June 17, 2014

If you've been reading many of the reviews for this resort, you're likely getting mixed results. Some love it, others not so much. I'll attempt to break it down a bit for you. What used to be a resort now seems to have been stratafied and most of the condos are privately owned. We rented directly from the owner through VRBO (unit B106). Her condo was wonderful - very nicely renovated, very modern and clean. There was a very comfortable king bed and a nice pull out sofa bed where our 2 kids slept. The kitchen facilities were perfect for preparing our own meals and the blender was kept busy with the daquiries! However, the fact that it was literally ON the beach and within 50 yards of the water was the biggest bonus and simply made the trip for us. The rest of the resort, however, is not as nicely kept. The outside of some of the buildings are showing some age, but appear to be under revitalization. The restaurant and bar are no longer open, but there is a small stand between the buildings where you can get sandwiches and drinks. The pool is not fancy, but clean and well kept. The beach, however, is second to none. They say it's the nicest on St Thomas and I have to agree. It has soft white sand, and coral reefs right out front which made for amazing snorkeliing - turtles, rays and reef fish all accessable with a short swim from the beach. The only reason I selected "very good" rather than "excellent" was due to the lack of amenities and exterior of some of the buildings.
So, in summary, if you're looking for a 5 star place where you'll be catered to, keep looking. If you're looking for a beautiful condo with an amazing beach to hang out at and do your own thing, you've found it. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Sheaj00
There are newer reviews for Sapphire Beach Resort

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Recently we completed a St Thomas vacation and had a great time. We rented D109 on VRBO. Great suite. The owner, Melanie, has done a wonderful job with the suite. It was newly remodeled and had everything we needed. The location is wonderful. It has direct access to the beach and great views of St. John.
St Thomas has beautiful beaches, such as Magens Bay. Very easy access to St John via ferry from Red Hook which is a 2-3 minute cab ride to Sapphire Beach.
Sapphire Beach is a very convenient location. It has a nice beach and a marina. Easy access to Red Hook for wonderful restaurants and entertainment.

2  Thank baboz
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at Sapphire Beach Resort in April for two weeks. We rented thru Homeaway directly with the owner. This is the only way to go, you actually see pictures of the condo you will be in so you know before you go. Our room was clean and well stocked with amenities. The beach was amazing, clean and gorgeous views.
The building exteriors are being renovated, the building we were in was completed last year and it looks great! No construction going on while we were there. We were told during "peak rental season" they stop working. The pool bar and restaurant building are still being worked on and will be a great asset once completed. The pool was open as well as the Banana Cabana restaurant. Also Sapphire Grill was just a short walk away. Really good food there!
I would definitly stay here again, I loved it! Looks like it will be even better once all the renovations done and that shouldn't be too long as only one or two more buildings need work.

Room Tip: Our condo was in building A and be sure to rent from owner not a property manager or realtor. Each c...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KathieJ2001
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I rented a private room through VRBO. The room was absolutely gorgeous, updated, two story right on the ocean...I travel A LOT and I would say this is one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in. Unfortunately the resort itself is a pathetic joke. Everything is shut down and listed as "under renovation", however, this is a lie to disguise the obvious neglect that has been going on at this resort for almost a decade. Both swimming pools were closed down. The restaurants were closed down and there is nothing within walking distance to the resort. The roads are not pedestrian friendly and it's not worth risking your life to cut costs on a taxi. Since the restaurants are closed down, my daughters and I had to catch a RT taxi every time we needed to eat. This got pretty expensive as they charge by the person - not the trip. Roundtrip for 3 is $42. Add this on top of the $$$ meal and we are spending over $100 per meal. On the contrary, the beach is absolutely gorgeous and we had a wonderful time. If you visit make sure you rent a car - it will save you hundreds of dollars if you have a family. We averaged at least $150 a day on taxi / safari / ferry expenses. The owner of this resort needs to wake up and do something with this beautiful property. It could be a real gem.

Room Tip: I rated the room terrible because I rented a private room through VRBO, although my room was top not...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephanie I
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have read that some condo units are not that nice ... but our corner unit C209 was amazing. We had a great view of the ocean and literallly steps from the water. We were also located a short walk from the pool. The unit was very clean and had snorkeling gear for us to use in the amazing coral reef just steps from our unit. Even during the re-habbing of the condos, the pool was very

During our stay in mid May, the place was very quiet and almost deserted ... just the way i would like it. The beach was very clean and security staff patrolled the area regularly. There were no loud parties going on while we were there. If you want some place quiet with the sound of the ocean to wake you up, this place is great.

It is also very close to Red Hook and the ferry to St John. It's about a 10 minute walk or a $4 cab ride, which were always available in the parking lot. It's about $20 cab ride from airport. It's also close to other nice beaches like Meaghan's Bay, Cocki, or Lindquist.

The only negative is there aren't much places to eat in the complex. There's a food stand that makes good food and great drinks, but thye're only open until 4 or 5 pm. There's a also a food truck at the top of the entrance road but it is not always there. If you plan on eating dinner at the condo, buy groceries, cook your food and have a nice dinner on your balcony overlooking the ocean.

Great place. We loved it!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We rented a 2 floor condo and booked it thru and agency. The package included airfare and was a good deal. However, there were a lot of maintenance problems w the condo (Unit C305). No phone, 1 burner of 4 on the stove worked, etc. etc. etc.. We had to pay $31 for Internet and the system timed you out and you had to log back in after only a few minutes of inactivity. When we looked for a rental we thought Internet was included. I notified the office in Bldg A several days in a row of maintenance problems & no phone and nothing was done. When the air conditioning broke we complained to the office and Corliss was very nice and accommodating, giving us unit B303. It was like night and day in terms of look, finish and comfort. When we realized the tankless hot water heater on the 2nd floor bathroom wasn't working, I complained and it was actually fixed promptly. Despite the fact that we had no internet for a few days it was much more pleasant. We had beautiful views (make that gorgeous views) and the beach is gorgeous. There is a snack bar between Bldg B and C that serves drinks and sandwiches, it's called the Banana Cabana. They close around 4 PM. There is no place to rent snorkeling equipment, despite what you may read elsewhere. Because the beach is not protected from trade winds, there are small waves and if you snorkel it is a bit harder then some other local beaches but I never had a wave break over my snorkel and get a mouthful of water. The reef is nice but like most reefs in the world it has suffered from higher water temps and acidity, still, saw a sting ray, schools of fish, urchins, fan coral, sponges, staghorn coral and more. I would probably not return to this place. If you go, make sure you rent directly from an owner, as I have read frequent complaints about poorly maintained units and I think those ones are owned by the resort. There is a great day trip sailboat, called New Horizons that is berthed in the Sapphire Marine, it was $95 per person when we took it and it is a great trip, going to St. John, Honeymoon Beach and Christmas Cover. I highly recommend that trip. Best wishes.

Room Tip: rent directly from - our package unit had a number of problems
1  Thank bostonrocker51
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I do not like all inclusives. This hotel is dramaticlly different based on owners and who you rent thru. I rented thru VRBO from Lisa Bushman. She was very easy to deal with. Her unit was a bit date, but clean and I would stay again in a heartbeat. This was the most amazing place if you want to snorkle and see awsome coral. If you want a beach that is clear of coral do not stay here. They also have a little grill that has yummy food for the beach but menu is limited. They also have a small selection of beer. Was just right for us. Up on the hill (within walking distance) was the BEST food truck I have ever experienced and as of our trip was one of the top rated resturants on the island. Love...love this complex. I'm planning on returning next year. If you want full service this isn't for you. If you want the Ritz this isn't for you. If you want a nice, beatuiful resort...perfect!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Sapphire Beach Resort? Share your experiences!