“Rented from Condo Owner - Great Experience”

Sapphire Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My friends and I stayed for 5 nights at Sapphire Beach in November. We had a great experience. The unit we stayed in had a very comfortable king bed and a pull out couch. Additionally there was an air mattress that was available as well that we used for a few nights. We had a full kitchenette that was fully equipped for self catering, indoor and outdoor tables for four, two flat screen digital televisions with satellite TV, a newly renovated bathroom with his and her sinks as well as nice little extras - snorkel gear, coolers, other things for the beach, etc. We also had a balcony.

This was a great place to suit our needs. We self catered breakfast everyday (what a view for your morning coffee!) and had our other meals elsewhere. Options on this beach for food are very limited, so you should be prepared to self cater, have a rental car or pay for taxis to get to Red Hook for meals. The roads are very dangerous to walk, but it did seem it would be possible to walk to Red Hook along a pathway in the road - we never tried it. The resort area is also serviced on a local Safari vehicle route with rides for $1 - again, never tried it.

I realize this place gets incredibly mixed reviews because your experience is dependent on the building you are in. There are 5 buildings - A - E and the building we stayed in, D, seemed to be the only one that was fully renovated. Active construction work is going on during the day on the property but is not disruptive. In my opinion, the views from building D are the best but all units across the property appeared to have beach front balconies.

We had tons of fun, loved the views and I would definitely stay here again. We booked through homeaway.com and there are several Sapphire properties listed there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank lesjorgie
There are newer reviews for Sapphire Beach Resort

Reviewed November 29, 2013

This resort is very nice, the beach just makes it. Its a long stretch of friendly turquiose waters. I think this stretch is just as nice if not nicer than Magen's Bay.
We rented from an owner for 10 days in January. The island has a nice breeze and is seemed quite safe to be out and about at night. The island is clean.
The downside is that there is not a bar/restaurant on site, which I now learned that its nice to have that. Even if its just to run down for a bottled water. But would like to have a place to get a quick bite or some cocktails. Red Hook is like a 2 minute ride down the hill. Even for us beginning left side drivers, we felt safe driving down there at night...it was so close. And Red Hook has a ferry to St. John.
There are boating excursions that leave out of Sapphire Marina.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have an ocean/beach view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 340maryd
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I crewed on a sailboat to Virgin Gorda, BVI. I had a reservation at the Sapphire Beach Resort for just 2 days to relax from the boat passage, before I flew home from St. Thomas. However, we arrived many days earlier than expected (great wind). Even though I was past my free cancellation date, when I talked to Corlis at Sapphire Beach Resort she said she would refund my entire deposit amount. Even though I did not stay there I received 1st class service. I will book another reservation at the Sapphire Beach Resort, and this time I'll stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank porttack
Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you rent here, go through VRBO and rent from an owner. We used rental 216218 (E202) and had a fantastic time. The condo was wonderful and clean, with an amazing view of St. John to wake up to. It's right on the beach and there is snorkle gear, coolers and chairs at the unit for you to use and take on day trips. It's also located next to the Sapphire Bay Marina where you can pick up an amazing day trip through BVI with Break A Way (recommended by the owners, and was one of the highlights of our trip). Also super close to Red Hook if you want to take the ferries to the other islands or grab a bite to eat. The unit has a great kitchen - a full size fridge, stove top, toaster, coffee machine, blender, etc. making it easy to cook meals at home. The owners from rental 216218 were VERY responsive, and I never felt out of touch.

If you get a chance, eat at the Off the Grid BBQ food truck at the top of the hill. Their food is amazing and very reasonably priced! Probably one of the best meals we had during our stay. Also great was the sushi restaurant in Red Hook called Revelry (formerly Coco Blue but went through a name change 2 weeks ago)

The one thing I will mention (which would have been disappointing if we had not known in advance from reading other reviews of the property) is that I would recommend renting a car. The "resort" (like many others in St. Thomas) has not been kept up and doesn't not have a restaurant or shops and the tennis courts have seen better days but does have a nice pool and a place to rent water gear like paddle boards. I didn't take away any stars from the review I wrote on VRBO because this is not the fault of the owners and did not affect our personal enjoyment of our stay or the condo itself (which was perfect) but worth noting as to not have any false expectations.

Having said that, we wouldn't have picked a different place to stay. The owners were very easy to work with and the space was clean with a beautiful view. Great location away from the tourists but still close to restaurants, ferries, grocery, etc. Don’t think you can find a better view on the island!

Room Tip: Rent from VRBO 216218
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MeauxWasTaken
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We rented two second floor units in building C through VRBO. With a conjoining balcony. The view from the balcony was so breathtaking. Color of the sea, sky ,white sand and palm tree was so vivid. I could just stay on the balcony all day drinking painkiller.

Both units were clean and tastefully decorated. Had everything that we need . A good supply of beach towels and clean linen.

The reefs were so close to the shore, snorkeling was good. Heard about people seeing turtles and rays. We swam over to the grassy part but could not find them. I guessed we were not up early enough.

There was a Grill Bar right by building C. Susie would take your order and bring it right to your lounge chair. Great burgers, fries. Loved the chicken fingers and pickles. They made very good cocktail, too. Price was reasonable.

Lots of iguanas sunbathing. You will have a problem if you afraid of crawly things. We used to have a bearded dragon as pet, so they were fun to be around. They don't really bother people until they see you eating. They will gather around you. But please don't feed them. Also really, really make sure that no iguana is on the tree overhead. My friend missed a heavy dropping of bowel and bladder movement by merely 2 seconds. It was hilarious!

Sapphire beach is centrally located. Very close to Redhook which has lots of good restaurants. The best thing being so close to the car ferry dock, you can sleep in a little longer if you want to take the early car barge to St. John.

We had an awesome 10 days at this resort. Will love to go back someday and rent from the same owner. He was very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RossOntario
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our first trip to St. Thomas. We travel frequently and usually stay at all-inclusive resorts. We chose to stay at a condo this time for two reasons: a better beach and an opportunity to check-out the restaurants on the neighboring islands.

The condo is wonderful! Great air conditioning, comfortable bed, great water pressure, excellent kitchen, fast Internet, and, a true million-dollar view. Watching the sun rise over St. John is a true treat in life. We were also fortunate to be there during a full moon, and the reflection of the moon at night off the Caribbean Sea is something you'll remember the rest of your life. I give the condo an A+!

As for St. Thomas ... it's a lovely island but there are a few things you need to know: 1) Prices at grocery stores can differ by 50% (especially for produce). 2) Liquor and French, Italian and Spanish wines are cheap; tomatoes, beef & chicken are double what you pay in the states. 3) You can get some great fish at a terrific price, if you buy directly from the fisherman. 4) Be careful getting on and off the ferries to St. John. The two small ones are easier to navigate. We saw two people damage their cars getting on the big ferry (you won't have trouble distinguishing between the small and large ferries). 5) The ticket you buy is only good on the ferry you buy it from. 6) The best restaurants are in St. John (check out Mongoose Junction). 7) We used Budget Rental Car and had a great experience with a Toyota Yaris.

Will we go back? Absolutely--and I hope we can stay at Annette's place again. It's that good!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in condo E-103. The owners name is Annette.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beach_ready_tx
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed in Building E in March 2013. And I just returned from a 3 week trip in Sep 2013. These condos are owned by individuals, so make sure you stay in one that was renovated. E104 (also called Beachtacular! @ Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina) was amazing. Steps to the beach, clean, comfortable, and perfect for my stay.

They were doing a rehabilitation on the exterior of Building D, it looked to be 95% completed on Oct. 4, 2013. The rehab gave this place an really new look, can't wait to see how it looks when all the buildings are completed.

Room Tip: Make sure you see pics of the rooms. Call the owners and have a conversation.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Sapphire Beach Resort? Share your experiences!