“Sapphire Beach Hotel ... A jewel of a beach”

Sapphire Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Naples
“Sapphire Beach Hotel ... A jewel of a beach”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Sapphire Beach Hotel sits on one of the prettiest beaches for one of the resorts in the East end of St, Thomas . St John is straight ahead across the water with other smaller green verdant islands. You will feel surrounded by island hills as you swim in the crystal clear Caribbean Ocean.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Passiondiverone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
NY
Reviewed August 27, 2013

After staying at the sister complex, Crystal Cove, we would never recommend staying at Sapphire Beach. This site is depressed. Yes, the beach is beautiful. Why wouldn't a caribbean beach be beautiful. But, turnaround and see rusty and tattered canapes. Broken down walkways. Unfriendly and defensive owners saying they are under construction. And getting there is no easy task. All the way on the East End with very little to do other than go to Red Hook each night. Our stay was not what we expected; but we saved the week by checking into a beautiful hotel in Charlotte Amalie. My best advice--do the research and check with TripAdvisor!

1 Thank Anniesez
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Beautiful view of St John and boats coming and going. Very few people. Marina close by. Washer and Dryer on site. Steep, but an ok place to run. Snorkel with the turtles. Iguanas come up to the pool. Short drive to Red Hook to catch the ferry. Workers were kind to turn the plywood on its side so that we could see out the balcony glass doors. Renting a car at the airport is a must. Remember to keep left.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gaye881
North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I returned recently from a nine day excursion in St Thomas. We had the good luck to discover Annette and her lovely condo right on Sapphire Beach. Annette was an invaluable and charming hostess. She answered all of my questions promptly by email and on the phone giving us insight to the island allowing us to use our time to explore and enjoy instead of wasting time trying to figure the ins and outs. Their condo was 20 feet from the waters edge. LITERALLY! We were treated to an incomparable view of the Caribbean and St John from our patio. The marina within a few steps away provided limitless choices of organized tours if we decided to use them. The condo is managed by Kathleen who kept us tidy and supplied with fresh towels throughout our stay. Yet we never saw her! The kitchen is well equipped and fun to cook in. The only drawback was that we had to leave. Annette stayed in touch via email before, during and after making sure that we wanted for nothing. This get-a-way is a must in building E suite 103.

Room Tip: ok no fitness center- I got overzealous. Check out the Sapphire Bar and Grill up the hill and tell...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grannyli
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is probably one of the nicest locations on Sapphire beach. How given the run down shape of the complex and the rudeness of the tenants makes it one of the worst places to stay. I hear they are under going a renovation and it can not happen soon enough. The furniture was outdated and some lights and appliances did not work at all. And apparently even though all beaches in the VI are public beaches, it is OK for tenants to chain their personal beach chairs up to trees on the beach thus permantly reserving that spot for themselves. I was not aware of this and sat in an empty chair. I was very shortly accosted be a lady asking me how I thought it was right for me to be sitting in her chair. I said I was unaware and would move. But she continued to verbally accost me an even followed me a short distance done the beach when I tried to walk away. This set the tone for a very unpleasent stay. From that point forward we would try and take day trips to other nice location (Meghan's Bay, Secret Harbour, Trunk Bay) just in order to avoid a repeat of the situation. I will not be staying here again and can not in good conscience recommend the place to anyone.

Room Tip: I can say nothing good about this place and can not recommend it to anyone.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Bubba Z
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I absolutely loved our stay at Sapphire Beach last week. We rented a privately owned unit ( c 207 - View of Paradise on VRBO) and were entirely happy with it. I was prepared to set a lower bar because of some of the bad reviews on the property in general. yes the restaurant and bar are closed presently; yes some of the outside areas could use some maintenance... but they were doing serious rehab on the D building while we were there, the pool area was gorgeous, the beach breathtaking.. the view stunning,.. our room was remodeled with lovely kitchen and bathroom, nice patio/deck... comfortable furniture .... could feed seagulls from our railing... pretty tropical garden area as you walk in.... beach was not too crowded because summer is somewhat of the off season... but honestly we liked it that way. Snorkeled and saw amazing things right outside our room. (rays, lots of fish, a sea star, coral --- go to edge of rocky area that runs along and off point). Our room ac worked fine, bed was comfortable and I could not have asked for anything more. There was even a small wedding outside on the beach the morning we left. Very romantic. I always felt safe there as we saw security around often... no shady characters anywhere near this property. There is always someone watching comings and goings at gate. Nice laundry room near marina.... If you'd like to take a day excursion to the Baths on Virgin Gorda and other points in the BVI there is a tour boat ( Breakaway - New Horizons II) that leaves just steps from your door right at the marina next door. Highly recommend --- it was so convenient and a lot of fun. Also going to Red Hook right down the road for the Ferry to St. John and several restaurants was easy and fun. We had a car but lots of folks used the taxis) Although we did not really cook, one day it was raining and we made up dinner ( snack food) in our room, and having the kitchen was great for tea and pastries at breakfast as well as sodas, drinks, making popcorn, etc. I hope to come back here some day and bring the family along. No hesitations at all on this property... just book through an individual owner and not the resort direct. I think those are the less nice rooms, and price is not cheaper. We paid less than $200 per night including all taxes and fees. It was a good deal. No hotels we saw looked nicer for what you got and the location. This was hands down the prettiest beach you could stay on. Better than the one at the marriott frenchman's reef and that was lots more expensive for just a regular motel room.

Room Tip: Book through VRBO or Homeaway - see if kitchen and bath have been redone; then you will be getting a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ellenkay
Pasadena, California
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Sapphire beach resort has one of the best views of St. John on the island. Don't get me wrong, the area is beautiful, but walking along the beach is like walking through a ghost town. The whole place feels old and run down. My family was lucky, and we had a very nice room that suited our needs, but we haven't been so lucky in the past. I recommend it only to people who don't really spend time near their rooms.

Room Tip: first floor rooms are the only ones with direct access to the beach, but are usually more expensive
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 5 in East End
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Sapphire Beach Resort? Share your experiences!