“Excellent Experience”

Sapphire Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We rented directly from an owner. Stayed in Building C-207. Condo has been remodeled and is very pleasant. When there was a slight issue with the AC the owner was right on top of it. The views from the balcony were amazing and walking right out on the beach fantastic. You could spend your whole time there, but taxis are available to take you to Red Hook where you can hop a ferry to St John and check out their town and beaches. We were going to rent a car, but opted to taxi it during our stay. We'd walk up the hill to take the $1 bus into Red Hook and then take the taxi back. Even with taxi's we never came close to reaching the money we would spent on a rental and we dodged the bullet on dealing with the scary twists and turns of the roads. Sapphire Beach Resort puts you in great proximity to great sailing and snorkling trips. Location is everything. If we go back to St. Thomas, this is where we'd stay again. Book through VBRO or HomeAway.

Room Tip: Buildings A-E are on the beach itself. A-C are the best situated.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SMunnell_13

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We suppose to stay for one week, we moved out middle of night due to place being filthy and rats.
My girlfriend cried and we ran out. We never ever go back or recommend this RAT hotel to anyone.
Don't GO there.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank 500RobertH500
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I spent only one night at this resort after staying on Water Island as a transition back to the main island and the airport. I will say that there were good things:

1. beautiful view from our room of a boat harbor.
2. a nice bar and moderately priced restaurant up the hill.
3. plenty of space in my room for being called a "studio"
4. a very quiet atmosphere that was very relaxing.
5. super close proximity to red hook, where there are a lot of fun night life and good restaurants to enjoy.

Now that said, here are the negative impressions affecting my 2 star review:

1. I'd be comfortable saying this was an 'average' resort if it cost $79/night. Way too expensive considering the next few bullets.
2. The property appears to be WAY overdue for some modernization. I'll bet this place was pretty swanky in the 1980's, however, its missing a few upgrades and not very well maintained since then.
3. You might not have this experience, but my hot water knob in the shower was broken in a very sneaky way. From above it appeared intact, however, the bottom 1/2 of it had fractured off in a jagged, broken beer bottle sort of way that cut my hand when I reached for it.
4. I take a quick shower so I had no issue with the hot water supply, but my wife wasn't very happy about running out after a couple of minutes and finishing up in a nice ice cold spray.
5. The beach restaurant was pretty expensive, we got 3 cheeseburgers and 3 beers, total cost of nearly $60.
6. about a 1/2 mile trek required to turn in the keys to reception and no available shuttle service from the bellman.

I don't like to negatively review places, but I would have appreciated a heads up from the other people on trip advisor before I spent so much for just one night at a place like this. I don't think it was the worst hotel ever...but its not worth the price they charge.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Don M
Reviewed December 20, 2012

As I type this review I am awaiting clean sheets and pillows so I came make the pull out couch for my teen sons to sleep on. I tried calling the reception and housekeeping but the phone along with lights, doors, tiles and locks do not work in room F204. Thank goodness we are only here for 1 night, I look forward to the morning when I will check out early and hopefully get a refund on the $50 per teen son they charged to stay here, the room was $200 and with the additional charges brings the total to $330! The least they could do was to provide the nessecary items, but no I had to walk to the reception and ask for sheets and pillows which the 2 adult males on duty didn't think they could provide as housekeeping is gone for the evening. I walked down over 90 minutes ago and am still waiting to make the couch so we can all go to bed. As I lay in my bed waiting for the supplies to arrive I looked up at the wooden headboard above me and spied a wad of chewed gum stuck to the headboard!! This "resort" may have been above average in it's hay day but with a lack of upkeep and staff it has fallen into disrepair. I would not recommend this place to anyone for the prices they charge. This room is more of a $150 range and well overpriced for the lack of any amenities they tout, concierge!! How about some sheets and pillows!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ThatsAGiven
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Spent 10 days in heaven! My wife and I had the best and most relaxing vacation we have had in years. The view, water and people were all fantastic and the unit we rented through VRBO was beautiful and very well equipped(C102)
Too many folks get hung up on what there is not available at Sapphire and miss a great opportunity.
What there is---- mind blowing view, many units totally remodeled by owners, 24 hour attentive security, food available on the beach from 2 excellent vendors, cabs available (including the Safari which is cheap and fun), a beautiful pool and proximity to Red Hook with shops, food and ferry to St. John. Stop complaining about superficials and dwell on the positive!

Room Tip: C Building is perfectly located between Main Beach and Pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank johnb144
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We rented direct from owner and spent 5 nights. Our owner was very organized and had a detailed welcome letter that had alot of information. Everything was as expected. Sapphire Beach was actually one of our favorite spots. The water... was beautiful and so clear. One day we were standing up to our necks in the middle of the ocean and could see our feet, we say a jelly fish, stingray, and fish. It also started raining while we were standing and it was gorgeous! We rented a car from Budget, pick up and drop off right at Sapphire, the cabs were always there, and Red Hook is a short ride away. $4 per person. The Cabana hut had friendly service and served a wicked Bloody Mary! We enjoyed the stay!

Room Tip: Book direct with owner - rent a car online thru Budget $50 a day.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LovetheBeach58503
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our condo was steps from the beach, the staff was so nice, and snorkeling is awesome. We saw sea turtles, spotted rays, everything was so nice. You can take a cab to go grocery shopping at Red Hook, which was nice because we had a nice kitchen.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in South Coast
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Sapphire Beach Resort? Share your experiences!