“On palm tree lined cove”

Elysian Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in East End
GreenLeadersBronze level
Matthews, North Carolina
“On palm tree lined cove”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

The resort borders a palm tree lined cove and a powdery sand beach near Red Hook at the east end of St. Thomas.
Our studio had a balcony overlooking the tennis court, parking spaces, Welcome Office and the beach beyond. The resort grounds are well maintained. A lot of tropical shrubs, trees and plants around the property.
There is a snack bar and grill at the beach. I did not eat there so I can’t say how the food was. The menu was a normal American fare. Hamburgers, chicken fingers and the like.
Lounge chairs at the beach and you could have full sun or the shade of a palm tree.
Free wifi at the Welcome Office. Swimming pool and Robert’s American Grille on the property.
Great food at Robert’s. The Wahoo w/rice patties and vegetable was perfectly prepared. Tuna with sweet potato and vegetable was also very good. Scallops on linguine, very tasty. Other items on the menu: pork, steak and chicken. Be sure to try the Chocolate fudge, ice cream éclair.
Many other restaurants in Red Hook about 2 miles away.
The studio unit was clean with all tile floors. Microwave, small refrigerator, HD TV w/remote. Dual sinks in the bathroom. Large soft linen.
Now, everything was not perfect. Hot water in the shower was a major problem. I called maintenance the first night. I was told that maintenance would be there in 10 minutes. After a half hour I called the office again. Maintenance showed-up within 5 minutes after the second call. Maintenance could not do anything about the problem. The unit has an instant electric unit. It worked well for the sink, but did not supply hot water for the shower more than two minutes. My wife and I learned to get wet, turn off the water, soap -up and wash, then turn on the water again. Not convenient when after a day in the sun, saltwater and sand you want a good hot (if not at least warm) shower. Maintenance could not 'fix' the problem.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trvlg4ever

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

When we first booked our room to this hotel, we were very excited. My girlfriend and I had never been to the Caribbean area, and the Elysian looked beautiful on the website. However, do not be fooled. Our FIRST room smelled so badly like an ash tray (non-smoking resort) that we had to be moved to avoid incurring a set of $200 charges for smoking...we also moved because of the bed bug and mosquito infestation. The "kind" staff of the Elysian were happy enough to move us out, and move a new couple into that awful room the minute we left. Then came Hurricane Earl. The resort's generator was not prepared for the blast, and went out. The resort did not have electricity for nearly 24 hours, and the staff didn't offer any help. They said that the power was out on the entire island but we found out that was a LIE--just like everything else this resort offered. The Ritz Carlton next door was completely cleaned up AND had power. The gym is terrible (and there's a charge). The restaurants are TERRIBLE (and highly expensive). The internet is NOT free. And the rooms are definitely misleading. Save your time and stay away from this hotel--we had to be transferred to another Wyndham after the power went out for a second time, by the way.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jcasillas623
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

We stayed at this resort as a trial package with Wyndham Vacation Ownership. We arrived just before Hurrican Earl came and therefore many attractions were closing in anticipation of the storm. Our studio king room was not dirty but the furniture and facilities were worn, dingy and dated. In addition, I woke up with mosquisto bites all over my body. I suspect they were in the room or bed. The air conditioner was so loud that we could not hear the television. It sounded like we were on an airport runway. The staff was rude. They provided minimal answers to basic questions and often gave misinformation. They acually left during the hurricane and did not return until well afterwards, leaving the people at the resort with no telephone, electricity, etc. I actually had to leave and check out with no one to check me out long after the storm curfew was lifted. When I asked staff who were cleaning the grounds after the storm when I could expect the front office to open, they did not know and offered no help whatsoever. The neighboring resort (the Ritz carlton) had staff stay around the clock. They also lost electricity but had a generator. Many of the residents at Elysian went there to use their telephone and sit in their lobby. This resort should be avoided!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maxie2000
Kissimmee, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

We started our journey by staying at the Elysian from August 23-28, 2010. The roads up to the hotel are in need of signage so becaure driving up and down the steep hills. Once we arrived, the hotel front desk lady was bothered because I interrupted her personal call. I did wait for her to finish to check in. She provided no area information, no hotel information. She did her job, checked us in and sent us on our way. We ended up finding the building ourselves and the room. Once in the room, the room smelled like mold/mildew; the a/c was blowing at 60 degrees; all the furniture was very dated and uncomfortable; the bathroom needed an update; the kitchenette was far from a mini-kitchen. It had a college size fridge and a microwave with a few items on the top.

The room was big and we did have a large balcony with a great view to the pool area; however, we couldn't use the balcony because we were afraid of being attacked by a whole force of wasps.
The first night I got really sick with asthma and allergies; we went to the grocery store and purchased Benadryl for $9.99 and other items for snacks. My husband opened the A/C unit and found the filter to be extremely dirty adn dusty. The filter was probably never changed or cleaned! We called the front desk and the houseman just changed the filter and dusted the dust off the front of the a/c. The dust ended up on the walls, lamp, night table and bed, which made me feel worst.

We had a great dinner at the onsite restaurant, Roberts, on arrival. Robert's was having a beach BBQ with all kinds of island foods. It was nicely done and very delicious. The staff at the restaurant was very friendly and attentive. Paige, the bartender, was awesome, funny and personable ... drinks were cheap.
The opted to have breakfast at Roberts the following day since we couldn't find any silverware, plates, etc in the room kitchen. Unfortunately, we were the only people at the restaurant having breakfast. Breakfast was a la carte and expensive. One thing that turned off completely was the cat roaming around the restaurant and in/out of the kitchen. It makes you wonder ...

Upon check in, we never got our pool towels so we went back to the rude front lady person adn asked to speak to the manager who seemed to be never there or hiding from guests with issues. The pool towels were old and they have seen better days. While we were there, we requested silverware, bowls, plates, etc and the answer we got was "did you check inside the microwave?" I said, no and the rude front desk lady said that where we keep those items. I wish that was in writing somewhere!!!! We went back to the room to find the microwave completely empty. We called the FD and we got new silverware, plates, bowls, etc.

We did notice that the trash can next to our bathroom window was never emptied during the week we were there. I don't think the staff realizes that brings bugs, roaches, bad smell, etc. Interesting, the housemen parked their hotel cars/golf carts next to the trash can. There was so much trash, that it was overflowing around the can and more trash bags were added each day.
The TV and alarm clock worked whenever they felt like it. There were constant power outages. Because the A/C was so loud, we constantly had to adjust the volume higher and higher.

There were charges left and right. The resort charges $12 per person per day to use the gym. There was $9.00 per person, per night Energy Efficiency charge, which was never disclosed to us. Like I said, the staff had our A/C unit at 60 degrees and the bathroom window wide open and they had the nerve to change us $72 !!!

The location is nice; however, the staff made it a horrible experience. There is NO customer service at all. We heard there were 2 restaurants; however, we only visited Roberts. The other one was more relaxing and it served snacks like pizza, wings, etc.

The pool area was nice and spacious; there were lots of lounge chairs, chairs and tables for everyone. The pool water was a nice 88 degrees and the iguanas were awesome to view walking around the pool and the grounds. The pool needed to be cleaned better as well as the pool deck. I don't think the staff added any chlorine to the pool as there was no smell of it. We found that everynight people partied at the pool and the following day, around 11am, the pool area looked just as the partiers left it. Noone would pick up the glasses, cups, cigarrette butts, ashtrays. It was just left there.

The beach area was also nice with lots of palm trees, lounge chairs and chairs. It was very relaxing. The people from the Ritz-Carlton would come over to our side to enjoy the ocean and the nice calm seas.

I hope things get better once the Elysian gets its make over starting in September 11, 2010. The staff needs to be either trained in customer service or Wyndham should get a better staff. Be aware, that the bar & restaurants don't have any A/C so drinks and dinner might be a bit uncomfortable for some.

I was really looking forward to this spot but, it was not a good experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gmroigmiller
Appleton, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

The beach and pool were exceptional and the staff very helpful and responsive. Be aware: $9 per person, per day "energy surcharge" fee! The facility is outdated but to our understanding, remodeling is planned for "most" units. Internet access is one computer off the main loby which runs at dial-up pace...For wifi, plan to pay extra. If you want cleanliness, clean it yourself or pay (lots) extra. We felt safe in the immediate area and the grounds were well cared for. We found all staff respectful and despite observing some travelers mistreating them (shame on them), they handled themselves well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Mechanicsville, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

Ok, I actually stay at the condos each time I go, but I utilize the beach, the pool, and the restaurants. I LOVE that beach. It is cool to live a leisurely life when you want and actually TRAVEL to the more touristy areas. If you want action and craziness, stay in Charlotte Amalie or something. The pool is wonderful and I have to mention PATRICK at the pool bar! What a great bartender. So sweet and will make you a drink that will cater to your own tastes. We had a blast with him. I also love Robert, the owner and Chef of the restaurants. I think the food is great and the 15 other people I traveled with agreed. Paige, who bartends at Robert's in the evening is great. If you are a nice patron and treat the "help" with respect, you will only get the same. That goes for every area in your life, no matter where you are. Stop acting like a snob and you won't get treated like one. You are on a beautiful island. Be happy. So, the restaurants and bars are great. The service is great. You get what you put into life, so live it up and live happy!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank ShanAutumn
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

I was just here Aug 7- 12. This Resort has the ability to be a very nice place to stay. The rooms are a bit dated, but clean. the only bad thing about this resort is they will nickle and dime you on everything. there is a 11.00 per day per person utility charge a 45.00 charge to use the fitness center and 9.95 a day for wireless internet. The resort was quiet not a lot going on deffinitly need a car Taxi's are expensive.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,668 reviews

Been to Elysian Beach Resort? Share your experiences!