“Love it even more!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbus, Ohio
“Love it even more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Just returned from another wonderful stay at the Elysian. I own with Wyndham in FL, so I travel on my points - but, I've also been the first to say for years that this resort wasn't up to Wyndham's standards. I can now happily change that stance.

I booked 2 rooms - a Studio Double and a Studio King. I called 4 weeks early to make the usual requests and to request that our two rooms be as close together as they could be, but if they couldn't be side by side that was ok. We arrived on property Saturday 7/13 around 11:30 from 3 days on St. John. I needed to pick family up at 2:30 from the airport so I had asked what the chances were for an early check in. Vicki remembered me from my call, and said it was unlikely but she would see what she could do. I explained that I really just wanted to be able to dump my luggage in a room so I would have room for everyone else stuff. I was given pool towels and a pool key and lounged by the pool until it was time to head to the airport. At 1:45 I headed back to the office and Vicki handed me keys to my room #208 (Studio King) and told me it was clean except for the balcony, and I could drop my luggage in the room on my way out. I was thrilled. We returned around 4, and were given the keys to #206 (Studio Double), an extra pool key and pool towels.

The renovations that Wyndham has done on these units and the pool deck are beautiful and about a 1,000% improvement over the outdated style they were up until last year. The addition of the convection oven is wonderful - we have one at home so it was easy to use - even baked some chocolate chip cookies in it. We found the room to be stocked with everything we needed - blender, toaster, microwave/convection oven, and the usual utensils and dinner ware. We needed extra towels and needed to change the sheets half way through from a little one's accident - and it was no problem at all.

The staff was friendly, attentive and wonderful as always. Vicki has been there since we started going 6 years ago, and she's a doll each time we're there. I just can't say enough about this wonderful slice of heaven.

Yes, it sits next to the yacht club - but the boats don't impede your ability to swim or snorkel. Yes, Cowpet Bay is a small cove - but it's 5 minutes to Red Hook, easy to get to and private. It's quiet, away from the hustle and bustle - which is why I go to the USVI - to leave my high stress job behind and just unwind - listening to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore, or the waterfall flowing into the pool.

I was concerned that the restaurants, bar and store would be inconvenient for me - but it didn't impede the vacation at all. It was actually nice without the extra cars and people in and out all the time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank LivandMarc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Galva, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

I can tell you that you want to avoid this resort at all costs...As soon as we arrived, we were met by the most awful front desk woman I have ever encountered. As others have said, she is very rude and does not care that she is. We arrived at about 3pm and were promptly told that check in is at 4pm, at 4pm, I am told that my room is still not ready and it may be ready at 4:30...when I complained, then suddenly my room was ready. I was not given a key to the pool until I asked. There are no restaurants or mini mart on sight. They do provide a free shuttle to Red Hook to go to breakfast lunch and dinner. We were told that the shuttle would arrive at 6pm, but when we arrived, then she claimed to tell us that it was at 7pm...What is so hard about giving you a shuttle sheet so you don't have to worry about miscommunication....I have been here less that 4 hours and I am ready to leave. So please don't make the same mistake that I did...I am sure there are much nicer resorts...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Roxy085
Road Town, Tortola
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

On arrival the checking was friendly but offered no assistance finding our room we drove around twice trying to find the right building. The room smelt damp the ac unit was so noisy none of us could sleep. There were roaches in the bathroom. There were no spare pillows. The whole resort needs major refurb. Terrible value for the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Trudy075
Bulverde, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Not pleased with this place....I'm not overly picky about places, but the pool was still closed for renovations, and while we were there, the owner of the 2 restaurants and gift shop decided to up and close indefinitely. So there is no food available on the property! Just a big disappointment overall....SO glad we were only passing through there and only stayed 2 nights. I felt very sorry for another group who just showed up for a weeks stay with their family. They were NOT happy! I've never stayed anywhere else on St. Thomas, but there has to be much better places.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Snickersmama
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Hello,
I wanted to write a quick review regarding our recent stay at the Elysian from May 29-June 3. While we were bummed to find out the pool was behind schedule for the resurfacing so no pool for us during our stay. However, when it's done it will be perfect. We took advantage of the beach, lounges and snorkeling right off the resort grounds. Although the beach is small it is clear, clean and sandwiched with rocks on either side for some ok snorkeling off the shore. BTW it is cool to bring a cooler to the sand (we brought a bottle of wine and snacks) with plastic cups. Even though there are two restaurants right there.
Our room was great, totally updated and modern with a balcony room 117. The bathroom had spacious granite counters and good lighting area with a separate toilet/shower with door. Us girls like that :P
The kitchen had a fridge/freezer, microwave/convection oven, sink, granite counters and plenty of space for groceries if you were staying longer. Plus they included wine glasses, regular ones, plates, pans etc. Also, there is a coffee maker, toaster and blender in room. FYI the water in the kitchen is filtered and OK for drinking, coffee etc. The sink in the bathroom is not filtered. Our towels were not in the room when we arrived however we called the front desk and they were delivered within 15 minutes.
As for the HH at the resort they had good drink specials at Ainsley's, no food specials but the prices were comparable to St. Thomas. Ex: hamburger $9-12 with fries or rings. They did have some healthier options with salads, also apps like hummus were good. Didn't eat at Robert's but is the same owner so I am sure it is in par. The bartenders and servers we had at Ainsley's were OK at best as far as service. One had zero personality while the other two weren't much better. Although they guy with ZERO personality made a great "Bushwaker" so he made up for it there a bit. I did get ice from a waitress at Robert's though one morning for our cooler. She was great and had a super personality.
There is a small grocery store at the resort where you can buy beer, wine, refreshments, milk, eggs, bagels w/ cream cheese, convenience store junk food and water.
The evenings outside at resort (Ainsley's) were almost unbearable due to mosquitoes, and we are from MIAMI! I counted 37 after the 2nd night and 1 spider bite. They sell "OFF" at resort resort for $10 and it made another evening past sunset at the restaurant doable.
Resort provides beach towels and you can get new ones by dropping your old in office and getting new ones daily. Yes, there is an electricity fee of $18 per day but that is in the fine print so you already new that. Most hotels in St. Thomas and St. John have these so expect it. Front desk was pleasant and our overall stay was great. Free internet in lobby for printing boarding passes etc.
Extra info:
Went to Red Rock for HH at Duffy's after a charter to St. John. They had great prices AND food specials from 3-7. They also have dinner specials with really good prices for crab or lobster but we only made it into Duffy's for one HH while in town.
There is also a grocery store in Red Rock with a decent wine selection, deli and aisles of regular things you'd find at your local one at home. Check prices as some brands are way jacked up while others are very reasonable. Ex. Chobani yogart $2.69 per container while Yoplat was a buck and change.
We booked a sailboat cruise to St. John leaving from Red Rock. We ended up on The Treazzure with Pat (owner) and Ray (1st mate). I definitely recommend it as we got bounced due to a engine fire on one boat and over booking with two other boats but Treazzure stepped up to the plate & took us. I am writing a separate review for the boat on TA so just jump over there if you are interested in our review of it.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room they are updating in phases
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AngieMiami
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

My co-worker and I recently visited St. Thomas for Carnival. We were not sure the dates of the actual "Carnival Parade"(which I wanted to see), but we had a good time. I'm an owner with Wyndham so I booked at Elysian(Studio Parlor & Studio King). I was very surprised to see both rooms were renovated(new paint, pictures, marble counter in kitchen and bathrooms). We hung out at bars in Red Hook since cabs are $10 round trip compared to $20 to get to Charlotte Amalie(main town). Beach on site was picture perfect and staff was very pleasant, especially Janalle!!!!! Be sure to visit Trunk Bay in St. John's and where A LOT of sun block. I was pealing once I got home :(

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank lovelegs
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

Pros: Good location, clean quiet resort, two nice restaurants with nightly entertainment, pleasant bay for swimming and ok snorkeling, nice staff and concierge, Colleen. Not too far for taxi to Red Hook, ferries, and Latitude 18 (try the seared tuna!)

Cons: Pool was closed for renovation during my stay and no free shuttle to sister resort ($44 taxi rt for 2 people), very little hot water, hard beds, weak shower, no housekeeping or room service. The AC unit was very, very noisy and dripped water into pools on the balcony. Somebody needs to talk to the beach hut boys about their attitude - all three of them were snotty. For example, when I asked if they had some way to blow up my air mattress, the guy responded "your lungs are as good as mine", and I told him I was looking for an air compressor. Just rude every time we had interactions, and the water equipment was over priced - bring your own snorkel gear.

Be prepared to pay a ton for taxi's on St. Thomas since they charge the same pp no matter how many people are riding in the car. Expect at least $10 each way, each person to Charlotte Amalie and $6 for Red Hook.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,668 reviews

Been to Elysian Beach Resort? Share your experiences!